Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Seeking advice on new electric - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice on new electric

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not surprised. I was an LP and SG guy til I bought my first strat, the Carvin Bolt. Since then it's all strats.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sada Yairi View Post
    More good input; glad to benefit from others' experience. The Nighthawk and 339 are ones I intend to play, just haven't seen them in the flesh yet. The 339 in particular seems to fit just what I want (though aesthetically I do prefer a single-cut).

And re the Strats/Teles, I wasn't even considering a Fender until I played a Strat the other day (for the first time in about 20 years). Couldn't believe it. Now they're on my list...
    What you've narrowed down to are what I consider two basic and generic types of guitars/tone - Gibson-type and Fender-type, where there are easily identifiable differences between a 2-pickup humbucker guitar and a 3-pickup Fender-type single coil guitar (I know that P90s are single coil, but I still tend to lump them overall in the "Gibson-type" category). And I'll mention that I think (still thinking very generically) that the main difference between a Strat and a Tele is a middle pickup (that's where the Strat "quack" comes from).

What I'm trying to say is that if you can narrow you choice to which basic type of guitar tone you're looking for, then you can choose one that has the feel and look that works for you. And don't forget that the amplification/effects are a BIG part of the overall tone, regardless of the guitar.

Edit: I guess I should have included "hybrids" like HSS Strats, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just get the strat. It will be by far the most versatile, upgradeable and repairable plus proper quality with great resale value compared to epi and the likes - but very likely a guitar you will never need to change from.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

There is even a great Fender Black Top strat that has twin covered full sized humbuckers as well as the vintage tremolo. I have on of these and it is a great guitar.

Also the faded Gibson LP's now have solid maple caps on the body over the mahogany. It is a satin finish, not like the older ones with the rough feeling mahogany on the top that look unfinished. They have excellent Gibson USA Burstbucker Pro pickups as well. These Gibson's sound and play great and I can notice the difference between these and the nice Epiphone's.

Strats are great, but the MIM ones that are higher up the line than the standards are, to me, way nicer guitars and excellent values for like 100US more. The MIM ones with Vintage Noiseless pickups are very nice, without the noise.

P90's in most cases can be quite noisy and I personally wouldn't choose one as my "only" guitar, rather I would supplement my guitars with one and use it when I want that particular sound. Noisy pickups can get annoying. At least "most" sss strats have five way switches that give noise cancelling in the 2 and 4 switch positions. Some people favor humbucker guitars for the obvious reason of quietness and they work great and are fairly quiet when using high gain overdrive and distortion or fuzz pedals.

Don't forget the amp. 500US for a Black Top Fender twin humbucker strat or tele.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

I'll chime in for the faded LP. My only reasoning being that when I tried one out, I couldn't put it down. It felt and sounded perfect to me. I really like the worn finish on the neck.

I'd really recommend going through a music store trying different guitars until one says "take me home, I'm yours!"

Post Thanks / Like

My .02. I know a lot of players who come from a classical background and do a lot of finger picking who like Godin guitars. Some of them tend to have a wider nut that classical players find comfortable. They are incredibly versatile and many have traditional electric pickups, piezo acoustic pickups, and MIDI pickups built in. Just a thought.
    http://www.godinguitars.com/godinmontrealp.htm
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Music has the Highway One for US $575, I'm sure it wont last!
    http://www.hellomusic.com/ec/DealMain.aspx?did=12471

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubberjub View Post
    My .02. I know a lot of players who come from a classical background and do a lot of finger picking who like Godin guitars. Some of them tend to have a wider nut that classical players find comfortable. They are incredibly versatile and many have traditional electric pickups, piezo acoustic pickups, and MIDI pickups built in. Just a thought.
    http://www.godinguitars.com/godinmontrealp.htm
    I have a Godin Icon Type 3 (see here) which is just incredible. Mine came with Lollar P90s and is a limited production run (only 50) and cost $1400 US but you can find it cheaper. This is an incredible guitar for the money and if it had Gibson stamped on it it would be over 2.5K.

I agree with hubberjub, take a look at their other guitars too.. very good workmanship.

Post Thanks / Like

Never played a Godin, but I certainly will now! Seem to be a sweet unit, and at a reasonable price. Thanks very much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon View Post
    Hello Music has the Highway One for US $575, I'm sure it wont last!
    http://www.hellomusic.com/ec/DealMain.aspx?did=12471
    Hello Music has been sending me emails on some great deals lately. Damn them!
    Today, they have the Epiphone Jack Casady Signature Bass on sale for $640 US. Bass GAS is strong...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tig,

After reading through your description of your ideal electric guitar I was thinking that we have similar tastes in guitars, in terms of liking the mellow-er sounding guitars that sound good finger-picked as well as played with a pick.

I agree with you about wanting to get the real Gibson if you can afford it. The Gibson ES-339 is a fantastic guitar. I may get one of these some day myself. They have a lot of the qualities that you mentioned here, but they are more in the $1700 to $2000 price range, although they are worth it in my opinion. They are really that good.

Another great guitar that I played some time ago was a Tele-style guitar from (from Fender) with P-90s instead of the standard Tele pickups. This guitar sounded very 335-like to my ears and I really liked it. You might want to check out the Jim Adkins Thinline Telecaster if you can find one. This is a great guitar with some very warm sounds, and also some great blues tones as well:
    http://www.fender.com/products/searc...tno=0262350538

I also agree with the mention of Godin guitars. I only recently discovered these guitars. I bought my wife a Godin classical guitar for a Christmas gift and I was amazed at the quality of their guitars, especially for the price. This is a great company.

Good luck in your search.
    --Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, I like the Jim Adkins thinline Fender - but the P90s on it, real Seymour Duncans, are pretty noisy. I have played a couple of these several times and like them. I just don't really like the noise.

I did a set up last night on my fat tele, or whatever you call them - the ones with the full sized covered humbucker in the neck and the traditional bridge tele pickup. Man, it sounds great. It is one of my most versitile guitars. All three switch positions produce distinctly different sounds. The bridge pickup is quiet as is the middle switch position, even when playing thru my ultra high gain amp. The neck humbucker is silent and sounds great. One of these fat tele's or whatever they are called, could make a very nice versitile guitar for someone. The bridge pickup played clean sounds a lot like an acoustic guitar and the middle position is very nice, even for leads.

If you are only going to have one electric guitar for a while, a versitile one might be a good idea. The Gibson isn't a bad idea either. The strats with the better pickups are also totally nice, in my opinion, and somewhat versitille.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

^ I think you meant the post to go to Sada Yairi.

Post Thanks / Like

Either way, we both read it!

Post Thanks / Like

bottom line, I love the Wildkat, it is one of my favorite new designs, but the strat will have more versatility than either of the other two. So if down the road you want to expand your tones you'll be able to. also for that kind of money you should definitely consider the Fender Jaguar. Its small, light, incredible versatile, and it has some of the sweetest jazz and blues tones you can find anywhere. Plus Fender parts are easy to replace, and their customer service is incredible. You can't beat it.

As to the Godin's they are a beautiful guitar, the only downside I see is the upkeep. I hear horror stories about replacing parts, but in the event that that is not true, they are a great quality guitar for a working man's price.

hope this helps,
    Chad

Post Thanks / Like

I finally managed to play a Wildkat the other day (very difficult to find in Sydney) and it was beeeeuuuudiiifuuuuullll. Loved it. And given what I want to do with it, it has all the tonal quality I'm after. Plus it looks so sweet! Played it through an Epi Valve Senior which I also loved (and am now trying to justify). The Godins are nice, but a much less practical option. Haven't played a Jaguar at all so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Incidentally, that was the first time I had played with P90s too. Much better and less noisy that I had expected.

Post Thanks / Like

Time to update this thread. After months of thoroughly enjoyable research, playing all sorts of guitars and amps, the Wildkat was my clear favorite. Of all the amps I tried (ss & tube) I found the Epi Valve Senior the most enjoyable. I found the modelling amps too complicated and difficult to use - really struggled to get tones I liked out of them. However, both the Wildkat and the Valve Senior were out of my price range (in Aus they both go for around $800). As such, I decided to wait on the guitar and keep playing my old Dot. I also decided that the best amp I could afford was the Bugera V22. Tried to organise a V22 but got jerked around by the music store. Happened to check out another store's website just for fun, and guess what? Due to a big sale with unbelievable prices, I have just ordered a Wildkat AND a Valve Senior!!!!! My ideal dream pair, and they're about to be mine!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Godin!?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast