Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Seeking advice on new electric
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice on new electric

Post Thanks / Like

Default Seeking advice on new electric

I’d like to hear some opinions that might help me. I have a classical guitar background and after a few months of playing around with electrics, I’ve decided to get into the whole electric thing properly. I play mainly blues, some jazz and rock (nothing heavy). I use a pick and like finger-picking too. I enjoy a full-bodied, mellow tone and was initially intending to go for a semi-hollow but am now considering more options. I am prepared to invest in a guitar for the long-term so I’m not looking at cheapies, but my max budget is around $1k (AUD).

I don’t want a guitar that is a copy of something else (like an Epiphone Dot etc etc) even if the imitation is a good unit in itself. If I’m spending $1k I shouldn’t have to settle for an imitation. I’ve looked at a couple of Gretsch guitars (didn’t like the tones), an Epiphone Swingster (want a smaller body) and a few others.

So far I have three potential guitars on my list:

Epiphone Wildkat – small semi-hollow, P-90s, Bigsby. I really like the look, and at around $700 (in Australia) this guitar would allow me to buy a new amp as well (I only have a little Fender prac amp at the moment).

Fender Strat Highway One HSS – never liked Fenders before (just aesthetically) but a salesman suggested I try one and to be polite I did. I was blown away. Felt so nice just to hold, before I even played it. And then to hear the tones you can get out of the thing – amazing. This particular USA Strat is around $950 in Aus (apparently its been discontinued, so the low price is probably to clear remaining stock).

Gibson LP Studio Faded – haven’t played this yet (only seen reviews & youtube demos) but apparently it’s a sweet unit. Available here for a little over $1k if you shop around and get pushy.

Given my preferences and intended genres, what other guitars would you suggest I look at?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard, Sada Yairi. When you have a chance, introduce yourself at the Fret Player's section.

It seems to me that, given your budget and desire, I'd go for the Fender. Rest assured that whatever you pick, it won't be the last.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sada Yairi View Post

Fender Strat Highway One HSS – never liked Fenders before (just aesthetically) but a salesman suggested I try one and to be polite I did. I was blown away. Felt so nice just to hold, before I even played it. And then to hear the tones you can get out of the thing – amazing. This particular USA Strat is around $950 in Aus (apparently its been discontinued, so the low price is probably to clear remaining stock).

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to look into the new Epiphone 339s that they just came out with. I watched the vid, and the Ultra sounds really nice, plus it has the NanoMag pickup. It's a nice mix of the ES335 with a more Les Paul size to it, semi-hollow body, etc. Plus the pickups are Epiphone's version of the Burstbuckers.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...Ultra-339.aspx

Scott
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

Post Thanks / Like

Do you want to rock out or use the various voicings that finger picking allows? I'd recommend a jazz box type guitar like an Ibanez AF95 or a Cort Yorktown if you like a mellower tone.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't really want to 'rock out' so much. I like blues improv, plus some of Clapton's more complicated stuff in particular for which finger-picking is the way to go. I don't like the full jazz-box kid of tones (GB10, Emperor Regent etc) but more the 'fullness' of a 335-type sound. The 339 does have some appeal, but I don't like the idea of an Epiphone that's a copy of a Gibson - seems like a dodgy way to get a similar look for a cheaper price. Having said that, I obviously don't know much about the Epiphone range. Are they worthwhile in their own right? Are they a poor imitation of the Gibson equivalents? I want something that I'll be happy with for the next twenty years (like my favorite classical, a Sada Yairi), not something that in a year or two will make me think 'why didn't I go for...'

Never heard of a Cort Yorktown before, I'll look that one up. I have tried the Ibanez AF95 and it was 'too jazz' for me, though a nice unit.

Post Thanks / Like

The Samick Royal is a nice semi hollow body you might want to check out if you aren't wanting a full hollow.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't come across the Samick Royale. Just had a quick poke around and it seems right up my alley. There's a Samick dealer not far from where I work so I'll go and check it out. Thanks for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've played a Samick Royale, and two people in my band each have one. They are very nice guitars.

I've also had an Ibanez Artcore AF85, which was also a very, very nice guitar.

Post Thanks / Like

The Highway One sound like a winner to me. A humbucker (splitable) and two single coils offer a palette of tones.

Plus the fact that the neck and the pickguard are easily removed and switched.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

As to the Epi being poor copies of (the real thing) Gibsons, to a certain degree, that is true, but they are quality instruments in their own rights. The major price difference come from two things: 1. Name - the Gibson name carries with it a high price tag (not knocking, just stating) and 2. Location of manufacture - Epis are made in various countries where labor is far cheaper than here in the US, this leads to a lower price overall. Though, the lower cost of labor, thus price, does lead to some inferior (to Gibsons) materials and even craftsmanship, however, they fair quite admirably to their bigger cousins (Epi to Gibson) overall.

Scott
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

Post Thanks / Like

I have an Ibanez AG95. Beautiful guitar, great sound. This is a true hollowbody guitar. Comfortable size, well at least to me. I got it to do Wes Montgomery stuff on and it excels at that! Also does blues, rockabilly, and Beatles stuff well IMHO.

P1010053 by mapka2000, on Flickr
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

These are great suggestions, cheers.

Regarding the Epis, how do their LPs compare to the Gibsons? And what about pickups? For example, the Wildkat (that's on my list of potentials) has Epi P-90s - how good are they? Likely to hum too much? Good mid and low range or mainly for treble stuff? Anyone got experience with the Epi P-90s or with the Wildkat itself in particular?

Re the Highway 1, it's the broad range of incerdible tones that impressed me. Having a neck that is easily switched isn't a selling point for me - the only modifications I'd realistically consider (years down the track) would be pickups. I really want to buy something that is the finished item, and in its 'stock' form the Highway 1 does seem the finished item. I do prefer a higher radius neck, but that's a small compromise.

And psychologically I don't find the Ibanez options appealing just because I've played some dodgy Ibanez in the past, but clearly I'll have to get over that!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to The Fret

Good guitars come from lots of different companies these days. I have friend who is an amazing player. One night I heard him playing with his band using an SX strat and he couldn't have bought better tone with a million dollars. I think he said he paid about $100 for it. Maybe it's just me, I like a fine instrument as much as the next guy and I'm lucky enough to have a few, but I think there's a bit of pleasure to be found in playing a less than 'prestigious' brand or model and making it sound so good that the folks with the fancy high dollar stuff come over to see what the heck you're playin'

Post Thanks / Like

That's certainly a valid point. Part of the appeal in the Wildkat is that there are very few of them around so they're not easily recognizable. That makes for less expectation and higher impact. The Gibson LP Faded is also appealing in that way - unless you're up close and can see the name on it, it doesn't look like a high-end guitar.

Post Thanks / Like

These are great suggestions, cheers.
    Re the Highway 1, it's the broad range of incerdible tones that impressed me. Having a neck that is easily switched isn't a selling point for me - the only modifications I'd realistically consider (years down the track) would be pickups. I really want to buy something that is the finished item, and in its 'stock' form the Highway 1 does seem the finished item. I do prefer a higher radius neck, but that's a small compromise.
    That's understandable but if the neck breaks it's real easy to replace or that you'd prefer a neck with a profile you like. As to pup swaps, no problem, just switch pickguards.

This is what I like about my Carvin Bolt guitar.

_____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

A neck-break hadn't even occurred to me - does that happen often with elecetrics? Surely not?!

Post Thanks / Like

A neck-break hadn't even occurred to me - does that happen often with elecetrics? Surely not?!
    Depends on how hard you are on them or how clumsy you might be.

Post Thanks / Like

Guitars with tilt back headstocks can be prone to a neck break from a fall or impact to the headstock. I wouldn't let that discourage you from choosing a set neck, tilt headstock guitar, though. It happens, but the repair is straightforward and doesn't usually cost a lot to fix.

Epiphone makes a good, solid guitar. Yes, many of their models are imported copies of Gibson designs, but the guitars out nowadays are of excellent quality overall. You may have to play a couple to find what you like, but that goes for every guitar maker out there that mass produces their products. Squier does the same for Fender (overseas made copies of Fender designs), and some of their products (the Classic Vibe range in particular) are every bit as good (if not better in some respects) than my Made in Mexico Strat that says "Fender" on the headstock.

For sheer versatility, I would not overlook the Epiphone Nighthawk, and the 339, along with the 'Kat. For Fender products, you just can't go wrong with a Highway 1. They're built like a tank, have great necks, and sound fantastic. They are being discontinued in favor of the American Special line, so you might be able to find a good deal on one. I would look at a Strat and a Telecaster. A good Tele can do everything you would want it to do and then some.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

More good input; glad to benefit from others' experience. The Nighthawk and 339 are ones I intend to play, just haven't seen them in the flesh yet. The 339 in particular seems to fit just what I want (though aesthetically I do prefer a single-cut).

And re the Strats/Teles, I wasn't even considering a Fender until I played a Strat the other day (for the first time in about 20 years). Couldn't believe it. Now they're on my list...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast