Thread: Seymour Duncan JB Jr - Strat Bridge Postion - Wiring Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Seymour Duncan JB Jr - Strat Bridge Postion - Wiring Question

I installed a Seymour JB Jr in the bridge position of my strat. Initially, the volume seemed low on the pickup relative to the middle and neck single coils. According to Seymour Duncan's instructions, which are AVAILABLE HERE by clicking on "wiring instructions," I needed to reverse two wires to rectify this (black goes to ground, green goes to switch terminal). I did that, and now the output seems to be where it should be. This install seems to have cost me the quack tone when using the bridge/middle together. I am not sure if I made a mistake or if this is comes as a consequence of having a humbucker in the bridge now. Fortunately, I still have it with the neck & middle. Just hoping somebody has some experience with this... Not sure if it matters, my strat is a little different. It is an FSR model with body mounted pickups (no pickguard) and one volume, one tone (bridge is wired to tone knob).
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Amps: Line6 Spidervalve 112

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, as far as I know this will take away some of the "quack." That isn't really my thing, but if want the option still you could think about a super switch. You can wire it up so that the inbetween position have coil splits. I'm sure that there's a way to wire it up so that your bridge + middle position gives you the middle single and one coil of the bridge. Thereby giving you that same stratty tone .

How's it sound in there? I know that the JB can be a really shrill pickup in some applications (or so they say). Jackson goes as far as to pair it with 250k tone pots to tame the high end.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for letting me know. There is a set of wires, red and white, that are tied together right now but can be hooked to a switch for coil splitting, so maybe I'll look into that. It Is hard to really judge how it sounds since most of my playing is with headphones due to my living circumstances right now. Thicker sounding with distortion and definitely reduced the hum.
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like

SD pickups are electrically out of phase with Fenders. You always have to wire the Duncan up "backwards" when mixing those particular brands.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

I have a GFS Lil' Killer in the bridge position of my Strat. I wired it up using Fenders "Standard Fat Stratocaster HSS" wiring schematic which works really well (keeping in mind the SD out of phase wiring as mentioned above). In the 2 position the bridge p'up is split and retains the "quack" in combo with the middle p'up. Also, I would suggest moving the middle tone control to the bridge p'up for more versatility if you hang in the 1 position as much as I do - a very easy modification. Move the white wire "to tone pot (middle)" over one to the post with the post with "green wire from bridge pickup".
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

oops, disregard my comments re: bridge tone control.... I see you have that covered LOL
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Well... this takes in interesting turn due to GAS. I liked the noiseless aspect so much that I took out the SD and installed a set of Lace Sensor Blue/Silver/Red. I just finished the install minutes ago and will be testing them out. The good news is that they work and sound correct, so my wiring and soldering is ok. I've got the quack back, which is a plus, and they are a much better match cosmetically and fit-wise. (the SD was a tight fit). My strat is a little different, it is a Mexican FSR with direct mounted pickups (no pickguard), black body, maple neck/fretboard, and cream knobs and pickup covers. The SD JB was black and really broke up the look. The sensors are a cream set and match perfectly. I'll either sell/trade the SD, or just hang onto it for another project.