Thread: First lesson

Post Thanks / Like

Talking First lesson

So, I bought my guitar roughly 4 years ago already. Was fired up to learn to play it. Then the kid got a little older and required more attention, then we added a second kid, then I got additional responsibilities at work, and I had plenty of excuses not to learn anything but a few chords, and the basic melody of the intro to Wish You Were Here.

That all changes tonight. I've got my first formal lesson. It's a group lesson at the local YMCA. I'm not sure how I'll do in the group setting, but we'll see. I figure it's going to be like high school band all over again. If the group lesson works out well, I'll decide whether I want to pursue the more advanced group lessons that are also available, or shell out for individual instruction. I figure this is the most budget friendly way to add a little structure to my attempt to learn how to play the guitar.
    Learning to play on my first and only guitar:
    Art & Lutherie Cedar Sunrise

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to you Tynee. I hope the lesson experience brings you something positive on which to base further growth with your playing. Looking forward to hearing about it.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

That's cool. Lessons are a really great thing if you get a good instructor. Heck, even if the instructor is only average it's still an incredibly useful thing, particularly to help get your feet under you when you're starting out. Good luck and keep at it. It's a lot of fun once it (finally, if you're anything like me) clicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy it and keep your ears open to all music it will surely help you along the way ! Remember to stop practising when you get bored, music should be a pleasure before anything else
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys. Had a good time at the lesson last night. About a dozen in the room. 4 guys my age or older with about 8 kids ranging between 12 an 15 YO. Instructor is a former professional musician who is now a professional guitar instructor. It's all he does, as far as I can tell. High energy, laid back but professional. His braids kinda threw me, a little distracting at first, but I got used to it.

He's not one for perfect form and lots of theory, etc. He feels like if you aren't learning to play something you can recognize as a song, then you're going to get bored and give up very quickly. That philosophy fits well with my goals for the class. My only complaint was that there was a whole lot more talking/explaining how the class is going to work than I would have liked in a 50 minute session.

He did get us started with a quick finger exercise for our fret hand and a couple of picking/strumming patterns, so I'll work on those until next week. I'm looking forward to next week, and hoping for more instruction with less discussion.
    Learning to play on my first and only guitar:
    Art & Lutherie Cedar Sunrise