Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Live Music 2012 - Track Your Shows Here - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Live Music 2012 - Track Your Shows Here

Post Thanks / Like

Man, I am remiss in my duties. Been that kind of a month I guess.

I was fortunate to score tickets to this....

It was billed as the "Gov't Mule Halloween Experience", so named because after a typical "Mule" opening set, they rearranged the stage and played the entire second set as "the Jimi Hendrix Experience". Odd to see Haynes exclusively using Strats. If you know Mule at all, you know they do extensive covers, extensively. but they don't just roll out a classic, they do it with obvious love and respect of the original material.

Well this was no exception. Haynes did not try to channel Hendrix' licks, but he played searing guitar, and the songs were huge, heavy aural onslaughts, which is signature Mule. The Riv is a cool old theater, but the acoustics suck. Certain parts of the theater are tolerable, but sadly I was unable to be in one of them this time around. It was a GA show, and I had a friend who's ticket I held, who arrived too late to get in and grab choice real estate. Long story short, we were in a spot with a great view, but essentially with a plaster swimming pool in the cieling overhead. This cavern creates terrible reverberations of the lows, and they overwhelm the soundscape. This is a known fact at this place, and as such that's where the late arrivals always end up. It's also where the bar is located. go figure.

Regardless, it was a great show...and hearing "are you experienced" done that well live, with an appreciative engaged crowd in a small theater was still a wonderful ...um...experience.

Insert obilgatory crappy cell phone pic here.

They had no opener and only one guest, a Baritone Sax player, so it was unique in that regard as well. Everytime I've seen Mule they've had a notable guest open and usually encore with them. Not so on this night.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Saw PJ a couple years back at the United Center, where the Bulls play. They were excellent...but I'm pretty over the large concrete and steel stadium experience. What it made me long for was to see them in a club....can you imagine? Those guys still have an attitude, and I would LOVE to see them in an overheated bar dripping with sweat and shaking the rafters.

Still envy you the experience, though. Short of a football stadium, I'd still pony up for the show.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo View Post
    What it made me long for was to see them in a club....can you imagine? Those guys still have an attitude, and I would LOVE to see them in an overheated bar dripping with sweat and shaking the rafters.

Still envy you the experience, though. Short of a football stadium, I'd still pony up for the show.
    When I saw them in 1991, it was at Roseland Ballroom in NYC. Not exactly a packed dive bar, but far more intimate than the stadiums and sheds they play now. So glad I got to see them then.

Post Thanks / Like

My good fortune allowed me to attend Tedeschi Trucks Band, last night in Boston...
    It was standing room, which means you could sneak up to three rows in front of stage <grin>

A bunch of stuff:
    Amazing player... picking and fretting very usual (to me anyway). ST is quite a player as well
    I will never look at an SG the same way again
    Real band, not just ST + DT + sidemen
    Everybody is having a grand time on stage
    A mix of straight rock, funk, gospel, sitar-sounds (for lack of better terms), gospel, jazzy covers.

I danced, howled, jumped up and down for two+ hours straight...! There is something in that big, big groove that keeps going on.. I was thinking "Please don't let it stop!"

As a gift to my fellow Fretters, I can point out that the full lossless audio is already available as a legit torrent on the bt dot etree dot org site. And so are the earlier Philly gigs. I discovered that by inquiring with the two fellows doing the audio recording! The TT Band is one of few bands allowing that kind of distribution.
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a great show!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345