Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Live Music 2012 - Track Your Shows Here
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Live Music 2012 - Track Your Shows Here

Post Thanks / Like

Default Live Music 2012 - Track Your Shows Here

I thought it might be interesting if we kept a list of live shows we see this year. 2011 was a down year for me as far as quantity of shows, but the ones I did see were quite good. I'm looking forward to more live music in 2012.

First up on the horizon is Sleigh Bells on February 4th here in Tampa. We saw them last spring in St. Petersburg and they were awesome. They have a new album due out February 14 and unlike many bands who play Florida infrequently at best, Sleigh Bells is doing a Florida-Only tour for February. Take that other 49 states!
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

How 'bout parameters? If they charge admission it counts? I see lots of shows, but for most of 'em I flash an ID and get a rubber stamp on the back of my hand. Ticketmaster doesn't get much in the way of fees from me.

Coming up: Stanley Jordan, Eric Bibb, David Bromberg, Willy Porter
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

I might go see The Darkness in early February. Guess it depends on scheduling of a trip to Ye Olde Canadia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo View Post
    How 'bout parameters? If they charge admission it counts? I see lots of shows, but for most of 'em I flash an ID and get a rubber stamp on the back of my hand. Ticketmaster doesn't get much in the way of fees from me.

Coming up: Stanley Jordan, Eric Bibb, David Bromberg, Willy Porter
    Free shows can count too. I suppose parameters are up to the individual (ie. if you saw and want to put it on your list, on it goes). I've seen some great shows for free (John Scofield, Stanley Clarke, etc) and they'd definitely go on my list for those years.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

So far, I have tickets for Raphael Saadiq/Lenny Kravitz (Jan 30)...Glen Campbell (May 11).
    RHCP are on my radar. Two dozen U-S shows already set, so I'm thinking spring for Detroit.
    Look forward to posting as the year goes on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We have tickets for the Tedeschi Trucks Band January 20th, so I'll update this post afterward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    We have tickets for the Tedeschi Trucks Band January 20th, so I'll update this post afterward.
    Looking forward to your thoughts on that show. We couldn't fit the December St. Pete show into our budget which was a shame because I love the new band/album as well as so much each of them has done previously. No way that's anything but a great show.

I'm just hoping more bands fit Florida into their schedule this year. Several bands/artists I like either put out albums late last year or are doing so early this year and should be touring behind them. I'm hoping some come this way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mrs. T got 2 tickets to see Brad Paisley in March. We have a giant rodeo here each year and the tickets sell quickly, but a coworker has an pre-sale source.
    It should be a great show.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We saw the Tedeschi Trucks Band last night, and as expected, they honored Etta with a cover of "I'd Rather Go Blind". It was one of the highlights of the evening, to say the least. Susan belted out some very soulful, passionate singing that could put tears in your eyes as she sung to Derek.

Incredible concert from row 16 center. The band was having a great time and sounded fabulous. Loose and flexible, yet tight in execution. No weaknesses. The level of soul coming from this group was impressive.

The horn section was blazing and a big part of boosting the entertainment. Derek's gifted playing is nearly indescribable. His ability to create beautiful melodies with the smoothest, quickest slide in the business is something every guitarist should see in person. Susan's voice was passionate and she connected with the music all night. She also had some really hot solos, and the highlight was when she and Derek traded solos. Derek is fairly introverted, letting his playing do the talking, but he would start beaming when Susan or one of the band was tearing up a solo.

Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome Tig. I played for a few hours last night and played along with "I'd Rather Go Blind" three or four times. Always my favorite of her recordings. I'm sure Derek, Susan and Co. did a great cover.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You know, I wasn't expecting too much. There was only one Etta, and trying to cover her usually doesn't work for most. However, they did a great job of honoring her, the song, and still made it their own. This was especially good considering they learned the news just a few hours earlier in the day.

Derek split his time between his vintage 1961 SG and a Les Paul into two Super Reverbs with no effects.

not my photos, but from last night...

Last edited by Tig; January 21st, 2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: new photos

Post Thanks / Like

Last thursday I was able to see one of my personal faves, a guy by the name of Willy Porter. I've mentioned him before here. He's known as a stellar fingerstyle player, who in recent years has really grown into an impressive songwriter. I've been catching him live for 20 years now. He "broke" with a modest FM radio hit in '92 called "angry words" which was a full band rocker. In recent years I've mostly caught him solo (fantastic solo live album "high wire live" came out along the way.) Occasionally with just a percussionist.

After returning to a full band album "how to rob a bank" in 2009, he's now taken a new approach; playing with an impressive renowned classical string ensemble known as "carpe diem". They are essentially re-arranging songs from his considerable repertoire, with him playing acoustic and singing, but able to let the 2 violins, viola and cello provide some of the wall of sound he's known for. (dudes stellar with a looper)

I was really looking forward to this, and honestly, while technically flawless, I don't feel it added to the presentation in fact, the opposite. I suspect it's awesome for HIM to be able to hear something other than himself for a change, and certainly, these people are amazing musicians, but I really didn't experience the songs in a new way....and I'm a very open minded guy when it comes to reinterpreting etc.

Still, cool show, great music, and it could evolve. I still say Willy is ALWAYS worth the price of admission, in any manifestation. They are just getting started. I should mention, when playing together, they are known as "the Mealies"

here's the band (iPhone pic, I beg your forgiveness) taken with permission, no flash.

additionally, I picked up a copy of the 2009 album, which I'd only downloaded initially. I got a kick out of his approach to the pirating issue so hot these days. Read the fine print....

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post

not my photos, but from last night...

LOVE that OUR idols have there own guitars autographed by their idols. A big reason why these guys are as good as they are. Humility. They are fans first.

Post Thanks / Like

The night after I saw Willy, I was back at the same venue to catch a guy whom, I'm ashamed to say, I knew by reputation and recommendation only, Joe Henry.
    What I'm about to do, I don't do lightly, and I mean it. OMG. I was speechless, Inspired, and discouraged all at once. This man is a true troubador. A storyteller like few I've ever heard, and a voice that sneaks up on you to reveal it's absolute excellence. Imagine...bear with me...Tom Waits able to sing like Harry Connick Jr, but in the way that you'd imagine HCJ singing to his 3yr old daughter at bedtime. Perfect pitch....lingering lyrical notes....low volume....impactful...

I was/am embarrassed that I wasn't familiar previously. I am instantly and ravenously a fan now. R_of_G, I saw that you posted "scar" on the now playing forum. Ironic. I'd welcome your review of the artist and his body of work here.

Another guy I've mentioned on the forum before, a good friend, instructor, and a stellar singer songwriter who hails originally from Haley Idaho, Steve Dawson had the privilege of interviewing JH for a rag here in Chicago as part of the advance press. I'm including a link to that interview as well.

Here's Joe.

here's the article

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago...nt?oid=5484730

Tomorrow night: Stanley Jordan! I'm responsible for staffing, so I'm assured at least an Introduction. Looking forward to it!

Post Thanks / Like

TK - You're getting to see some great shows.

I'm only familiar with Willy Porter by name, but I will have to look into some of his recordings. Interesting that he is currently playing as a guitarist (who is a genius with a looping pedal) backed by a string section. That's something Bill Frisell has done periodically, and like Porter, sometimes in these settings he presents different arrangements of his existing material. The results vary for me. Sometimes I love it, sometimes not so much.

Joe Henry is someone I've only gotten into in the last year or so. Incidentally, he played two shows this week with Marc Ribot opening for him (and joining Henry for part of his set). Marc has played on some of Henry's work (notably Scar). It was really that album that made Henry a necessity for me to look into. If you're going to get Ornette Coleman, Marc Ribot, Brian Blade and Brad Mehldau to play on your album, you'll get me to listen.

Henry is unique in a way that may only apply to guys like Tom Waits. He can give you a song in pretty much any style he chooses and it comes off as authentic as opposed to just being a genre-chameleon. I still need to get much of his back catalog, but the albums I do have (Scar, Fuse, and Reverie) are all excellent.

One final note, did you know Joe Henry is Madonna's brother-in-law? He's been with her sister since the 80s. She's even covered one of his songs.

Post Thanks / Like

Holy tinitus Batman! Sleigh Bells were even louder than the last time I saw them.

Part of that was due to them being on tour with black-metal band Liturgy. One of their guitar players joined Derek & Alexis on stage for the entire show. If I thought Derek Miller was shrederific on the guitar before, having a second guitar player to play off of upped the ante exponentially.

By my count they played four songs from the forthcoming album, two of which had been released via streaming in the past few weeks, two of which I'd not heard until tonight. All four were good and involved plenty of guitar.

Singer Alexis Krauss is one of the most amazing personalities I've ever seen front a band. In the many shows I've seen over the years, I'd put her on stage charisma up there with performers like Jagger and Sharon Jones. You just cannot take your eyes off of her no matter how hard you try. In fairness though, I didn't try very hard because in addition to being a great singer and stage personality, she also happens to be gorgeous. She's a bad-mofo too. Twice during the show she dove into the crowd to surf the front few rows and kept singing throughout. At one point when she had made it back up to the front a roadie tried to help her back onto the stage. She shoved him away and dove back into the crowd. Never missed a note.

The show seemed a little shorter than the last one, but they played as many songs, or so I think. Either way, it was a great show and I am looking forward to the release of the album in a few weeks. My ears will be ringing for a few weeks probably, but it was worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I might go see The Darkness in early February. Guess it depends on scheduling of a trip to Ye Olde Canadia.
    Saw The Darkness last night. Awesome show. Openers were Crown Jewel Defense and Foxy Shazam.

Crown Jewel Defense = Awful. They should not be allowed on stage. Horrible songs, horrible guitar tones, annoying front man, bad singing. Some interesting guitar riffs and solos, but just truly wretched as a band.

Foxy Shazam = Crazy. The lead singer was jumping around everything and the band basically destroyed their stuff at the end of the set. Good songs though; I'd like to look up their recorded stuff. A little bit too crazy to really focus on the music, but it sounded pretty good.

Darkness = Awesome. Justin Hawkins seemed kind of checked out at the beginning, but once he got going it was a really, really fun show. He was a tad sloppy on some of his guitar work, but the rest of the band was very tight. Lots of histrionics, but that's half the attraction. I've only seen a band win over the room like that maybe a couple of times before, and it makes for a great show.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Foxy is an awesome singer to say the least. I have listened to two albums off Spotify, the previous one with the 'Oh Lord' hit song etc. is quite a trip, the newer one I haven't gotten into as much, much more normal rock music. But the first one...boy that dude can sing!!! And pretty awsum songs too.

The problem with dem bands is there is just too much to listen. Today I listened to some Fair to Midland and that (new?) album arrows and something sure sounds just like what I dig. I listened to the first 4 songs twice, have to remember to get back to them some day. But then again I have a huge list of bands I know I'll like immensely...they keep popping up faster than I can find them on Spotify, so often I never check back on the same band again. At least have to listen to Djerv and Blanko and Max Raptor some, and I kinda feel like I need to check out the new Van Halen out too.

Probably never will find the time to listen to all of them at least all of the songs, but that's what Spotify is great for...no need to buy the albums.

Fair to Midland however sounds so impressive I might have to try and find their shirt or something.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    The problem with dem bands is there is just too much to listen. Today I listened to some Fair to Midland and that (new?) album arrows and something sure sounds just like what I dig. I listened to the first 4 songs twice, have to remember to get back to them some day. But then again I have a huge list of bands I know I'll like immensely...they keep popping up faster than I can find them on Spotify, so often I never check back on the same band again. At least have to listen to Djerv and Blanko and Max Raptor some, and I kinda feel like I need to check out the new Van Halen out too.
    I'd like to try Spotify at some point; it seems like a great idea.

I know what you mean about almost having too much good music though. I've been through that, and the conclusion I came to is that while I may want to fight the corporate powers by listening to and seeing all great bands, no matter how publicized, I can get myself too worked up about it. Now I just listen to something when it comes my way, and if I like it I'll listen to it some more. For instance, I was really into Rose Hill Drive for a few months over the summer after someone here mentioned them, but I haven't listened to them in awhile now. No biggie -- if I remember them later, it will just be more good music.

Is it a shame for the bands that I'm such a fickle fan? Maybe, but it's better than being miserable and cynical, which is what I can become if I get too entrenched.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast