Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Live Music 2012 - Track Your Shows Here

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I forgot to report back on Esperanza Spalding, Sunday night in Boston!

Delightful and very interesting material, kick *ss eight-piece brass section, I mean, that was a show just in itself!
    You could hear classic R&B touches at times. Again some featured brass solos, or actually duets with her were breathtaking. Great drummer as well. It was very much an ensemble rendering her work.
    Esperanza will be kicking some butt in both the jazz and pop world, IMO

I like the "This is Eric jackson..." touch, at the beginning of the show, in reference to our beloved Eric, who has been doing his jazz radio program (4 days a week) for the last 30 years, here in Boston. Like many, thanks to what he brought, I went out to see some jazz greats play, when jazz was confined to dark and smelly bars, and you could get in to see, say, Stan Getz, for 13 bucks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like what I have heard of her. I would definitely enjoy seeing a show.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    I like what I have heard of her. I would definitely enjoy seeing a show.
    That.
    Halfway through the show, Ii said to myself... "Please, someone tape this/make a DVD of it...!"

Post Thanks / Like

Ticket purchase complete. Childcare arrangements made. Seeing Wilco on Monday night.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a ticket to see Steve Earle here in Camrose. I'm surprised he's coming to our little town!

Haven't heard him in a long time, and never live, but I figure I'd better go see him since it's at our local Bailey Theatre.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I just bought a ticket to see Steve Earle here in Camrose. I'm surprised he's coming to our little town!

Haven't heard him in a long time, and never live, but I figure I'd better go see him since it's at our local Bailey Theatre.
    I'm very jealous Robert. Enjoy the show. Steve Earle is awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    I'm very jealous Robert. Enjoy the show. Steve Earle is awesome.
    +1

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Ticket purchase complete. Childcare arrangements made. Seeing Wilco on Monday night.
    Cool! Have fun!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Well Wilco sure can put on a show. The two hour set was varied with tunes from across at least half a dozen of their albums.

For the first few songs I was pretty much in awe of Nels Cline. I've listened to him for years (longer than I've been into Wilco) but last night was the first chance I ever had to see him play. He's truly unbelievable.

Tweedy was in good voice and good spirits, being quite chatty with the audience for a bit. It was also very cool to watch Pat Sansone do his thing. He's a killer guitar player and keyboardist and watching him go back and forth every few songs was fun.

The highlight of the show for me was "Impossible Germany" which featured a lengthy solo by Nels over some highly enjoyable two guitar riffing by Tweedy and Sansone.

The venue (Straz Center for the Performing Arts) is beautiful and has the best sounding room in the area. Best of all, it took me all of fifteen minutes to get home from the show.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Awesome!! Sounds like a great show! I have to wait a little more than a month to go catch them in Boise. I hope the show is just as good that night!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome!! Sounds like a great show! I have to wait a little more than a month to go catch them in Boise. I hope the show is just as good that night!
    Last night was only the 3rd or 4th show on the tour. By the time they get to Boise they'll be firing on all cylinders for you.

Next up for me is Lucero on the 25th.

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing Lucero in a few hours.

Incidentally, as much as I complain that my area doesn't get enough good shows, tonight is a major exception. Aside from the Lucero show, John Prine, Steve Kimmock, and Amanda Shires are all playing tonight in either Tampa or St. Pete. I wish I could have afforded the Prine tickets but the Mahaffey is a bit pricier than the State Theater.

Post Thanks / Like

Killer show last night from Lucero.

The opening act was the Soul Rebels Brass Band from New Orleans. These guys, like their NOLA brethren the Dirty Dozen, fully mesh the heavy funk with the brass band jazz sound bringing together two of NOLA's finest traditions.

These guys put on a great set that Lucero wasn't ready to let end. The bandleader for the Soul Rebels did his "thank yous" at the end of what he thought was their last song only to be met onstage by Lucero's road manager telling them the guys in Lucero wanted to hear the Rebels play Stevie Wonder's "I Wish" which they had debuted the night before. The Rebels obliged and performed a blistering version of Stevie's tune.

Lucero played a long set with a great mix of tunes from their most recent two albums featuring the horn section as well as many songs from their older more punk-driven albums. Ben Nichols was in great voice (for Ben Nichols, if you've listened to Lucero you'll get that). The whole band seemed to be having a really good time. The audience was full of people who knew the words to every song and recognized each tune from the opening chords. That made me feel good, to see that this band that none of my friends really knew had a big following in the area.

A great night overall. The venue (State Theater in St. Pete) is one of my favorite small theater venues. I've never had a bad time there. It gets crowded but not uncomfortably so. The door and bar staff are really good people. I'm always glad to hear a band I like is playing at the State.

If any of you guys get a chance to see Lucero in a town near you, take it.

Post Thanks / Like

Really dig lucero lately. Good to hear.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by omegadot View Post
    Really dig lucero lately. Good to hear.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    They're an excellent band, and Ben Nichols' music lends itself to being performed live.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

http://pearljam.com/news/0/1/21386/p...ssoula_mt_show Should be fun! At the University of Montana Adams Center.

Show announced today. I am going to try to score some tickets and go. Anyone want to meet up and have a beer if we get tickets? I plan to bring a mountain bike too. (probably also a guitar.).

Looking forward to some McCready and Gossard shred, some Crowe drums, some Ament bassitude, some Boom keys on the Hammond, and some Vedder wail.

This vid shows Ament in his home in Montana, which I believe is part of the MT connection. They are supporting a MT senate candidate as part of the show if you buy the expensive seats. I will be just going for the GA seats.

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping to catch one of Pearl Jam's December shows in St. Pete.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

http://pearljam.com/news/0/1/21386/p...ssoula_mt_show Should be fun! At the University of Montana Adams Center.

Show announced today. I am going to try to score some tickets and go. Anyone want to meet up and have a beer if we get tickets? I plan to bring a mountain bike too. (probably also a guitar.).
    Scored a couple tickets for me and my brother to the Pearl Jam/Mudhoney show up in Missoula MT and the Adams Center at the University of Montana!! Gonna go a day early, bring a mountain bike, check out Missoula area biking and local micro brews, then hang out with Pearl Jam and Mudhoney with up to 7000 of my closest friends. (7000 will be max venue can hold, not sure how they are gonna set it up). Excited!!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Got tickets to see Fiona Apple in December in Clearwater.
    I've loved pretty much all of her work to now, I just wish there was more of it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast