Thread: Incoming...............

Post Thanks / Like

Default Incoming...............

Hi All,

Mike here. Old bugger living in Melbourne Australia (OK, 38 so old(ish))

Amongst other things I've been around the music scene for a looong time. First gig was Iron Maiden Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, London Wembley Arena in '88 (Anthrax as support - Persistence of Time tour). I've seen every major Maiden tour since!!!

For my sins I played drums in a band during my teen years, and never learned enough to be much good. In '91 I did 2 weeks work experience at Metal Hammer Magazine in London, and went on to become a freelance writer and photographer. In '97 I started an e-zine called Ftang Online, and continued that until 2002 when my kids started school and I got sensible(ish). During those 11 years, I reviewed and photographed some of the greatest bands of all time (Maiden, Priest, Motorhead, Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer etc), and had an absolute ball.

Another 10 years on, my kids are way too cool to hang out with me, have given up BMX racing and left me needing a hobby. And so I come back to what I love - music. I got a cheap Strat copy a year ago (Harlem) and a Peavey practice amp. Teaching myself, but considering lessons soon. Not yet got any effects pedals, but have a Line6 UX2 USB jobbie running Pod Farm 2. Strings are Ernie Ball Power Slinky's in standard tuning.

Looking forward to picking up a whole bunch of help & tips, plus sharing what I can of my music industry knowledge and photography.

As an aside, my other great love is motorbikes. I have a 2007 Kawasaki ZX10R Ninja on the road, and a CBR600 track bike. I hope to be adding to my collection over the next few years, starting with a dirt bike.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike. Welcome to the forum.

It sound like you lead a pretty entertaining life. I tried BMX for a bit while I was managing a bicycle shop. It was a little to quick for me so I stuck with mountain bike and road bike racing. I also grew up racing dirt bikes.

Check out some of the old threads here. There is some great info to help you on your quest for guitar superstardom.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome to The Fret, Mike. You have had an impressive and fun life so far! You share many interests with several of us here. Plenty of Brit invasion metal band lovers, too. That had to be fun hanging out with all those bands.

My bike days started with BMX, but I moved to BMX free style and skate parks back in the early 80's pioneer days. You saw the rest of my bike stuff on that other thread. I also used to ride motorcycles, and my last bike was a Honda F2. I was a knee dragging fool in those days!

Cheers!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike, Welcome!

Awesome story, mate! You'll fit right in here. Thanks for joining.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mike, if you still have the website available, point us there to check out those past interviews and photos.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Mike! Glad to have you here.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for warm welcome. I sold the e-zine in 2002, the next owner ran it into the ground & closed. Unfortunately there's nothing left, except for a huge amount of photos . I'll post some up shortly

Post Thanks / Like

Hey another Aussie finally! Welcome on board Lemme see, Guitars, Metal, Photography? Yeah you'll fit in just fine

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Mike

Here is my advice, stay away from this forum as you will be bankrupt after spending a few months on here (i seem to have acquired more guitar kit since joining).

So are you a Brit who has escaped to the sun or a proper Aussie ?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Brit in the sun. I love this country, although the music scene needs kick starting.

As for acquiring more kit, I really need to. 1 guitar, 1 amp and a POD is not enough. But first I'm gonna pay for lessons. Can't see the point of an expensive rig I can't play!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Photomike666 View Post
    Can't see the point of an expensive rig I can't play!!!
    Now that's just crazy talk.

Welcome to the forum.
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Photomike666 View Post
    I'm a Brit in the sun. I love this country, although the music scene needs kick starting.
    Music scene ? Yes what ever happened to Jason and Kylie ?

The music scene in England is a joke, pop stars, Englands got talent....... all wanna be pop stars....

Post Thanks / Like

10 years ago in London I was at 4-5 gigs per week. Maiden, Priest, Motörhead, Metallica, Dream Theatre, Sevendust, Anthrax, S.O.A.D, Seps, Slayer. I could go on....
    Over here we get a hand full of decent bands each year if we're lucky. The local scene is just as dead

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.soundwavefestival.com/

There's your handful

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to Dragon Force, missed them last time they were in Aus. Did Soundwave last year too

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah me too! So many treats in the lineup this year. Even a bit of Sisters of Mercy for my old goth days flashback