Thread: Fret Buzz

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fret Buzz

I got my guitar about a month and a half ago and so far it has been fine. Recently though I have noticed that on the G and B string they buzz when i play them on the first fret and only the first fret. My low E string also buzz when I strum hardly. (actually not even that hard) Does anyone know why and how I can fix this?
    I have a Huntington outlaw. It was only $50. It is an electric. Is it like that because it is cheap?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Is it an electric? Does the buzz amplify? A little rattle is normal on electrics.

If you are just buzzing when fretting the 1st fret, then either fret 1 is low or 2 is high. get a short straight edge and see if it rocks when you straddle 1, 2 and 3. It should be level. If it rocks, figure out which one is high and consider filing it down, a very little at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 47Taskmaster84 View Post
    I got my guitar about a month and a half ago and so far it has been fine. Recently though I have noticed that on the G and B string they buzz when i play them on the first fret and only the first fret. My low E string also buzz when I strum hardly. (actually not even that hard) Does anyone know why and how I can fix this?
    I have a Huntington outlaw. It was only $50. It is an electric. Is it like that because it is cheap?
    Not necessarily. You might just need to adjust the truss rod. The low E thing especially indicates that the neck might not have enough relief.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Thx.
    Is adjusting the truss rod a do it yourself thing? If so how can I do it?

Post Thanks / Like

Thx.
    Is adjusting the truss rod a do it yourself thing? If so how can I do it?
    Yes, but you just need to be careful. Only adjust a little bit at a time. If you go crazy twisting the truss rod, you can permanently ruin your neck. You really have to crank on it to bust it, though. Do a Google search for it. Since the guitar is a beater anyway, it's a good tool to learn how to do a proper setup. You will thank me once you learn that.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Thx a lot!
    Another question though, How often should I change my strings?

Post Thanks / Like

Thx a lot!
    Another question though, How often should I change my strings?
    As often as they need to be changed! OK, I know that's a worthless answer, but there is truth to it. Thankfully my body's sweat chemistry is very kind to strings, so mine last a long time. I usually notice a loss in tuning stability first, especially with a floating tremolo bridge. I know some people who's skin corrodes strings almost immediately. I'm also not playing out anywhere, so my strings aren't subjected to extra sweat, the occasional beer, etc. Making sure your hands are clean before you play will extend the life of your strings. It's a bad idea to play right after a couple of pieces of KFC original recipe (although I have known people who actually use something like chicken grease on their fingers). Otherwise, if they sound dull, change 'em! Guitar strings are relatively cheap. After a few changes, you'll get a good feel for how long they'll last for you. Thankfully my bass strings seem to last forever, which is a good thing since the set I'm currently using is about $35.

Post Thanks / Like

Thx