Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Tele Build Project
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tele Build Project

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tele Build Project

Cruising Kijiji (more popular than Craigslist in these here parts), I ran across a nice loaded Squier tele body (the neck had been removed for another project) for cheap cheap. "Hmmmm" I thought to myself, I have a tele neck and some misc. parts kicking around from my "Modified Vintage Modified" project. So I'm going to build an "Affinity Vintage Modified" tele.
    • Candy Apple Red Squier Affinity tele body w/ hardtail bridge
    • 9.5 in radius maple neck
    • Duncan Designed humbucker (neck) and stacked tele p'up (bridge)
    • New 3-way switch and pots
    • white pearloid pickguard. Maybe - would look good, but I have a white tele pickguard for a neck 'bucker to use. The pearloid might be better eye-candy for resale though.
    It's going to take some modification as the neck p'up route is single coil only. Gonna have to dig it out to fit the humbucker - that should be interesting - ha ha.

The goal is to a) practice my wiring, soldering and woodworking skills; b) use up some spare parts that are just gathering dust; and c) flip it and make a little bit of moolah. A new VM Tele runs about $350. For an investment of about $75-$80 I should be able to sell it for $250.

I'll post pics of my progress. Wish me luck!
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Default A New Hope

Loaded Squier Affinity Telecaster body...

A quick mock-up of the soon to be Affinity Vintage Modified Tele...
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Wicked I like!

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the maple neck paired with the candy apple red body.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! Looking forward to seeing the finished project.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great! I like the grain on that neck.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with the build Trev... you might just find yourself a keeper when you're finished!

Have fun!
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

That's certainly a pretty neck. It looks great with the body.

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE: new pots and 3-way switch on the way from guitarfetish.com. In addition, I'm going with a white pearloid pickguard. Once it arrives, I'll lay out what I need to scoop out of the pickup route to accommodate the neck humbucker. Excited to get started! I'm just afraid I won't be able to sell it once it's done - LOL!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In my experience selling partscasters south of your border, you can reasonably expect $150 from something made from MiM standard parts. That said, the thinner, lighter Affinity body and top loading bridge might be pretty cool. Both of my current Tele (one is a Samick) styles are top loaders and I dig em.

Post Thanks / Like

STEP 2: Found a friend with a router

Naked body before surgery:

Post surgery:

Close up:

It fits!! :

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice. How did you do the route? Is that something a dremel could do?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon View Post
    Very nice. How did you do the route? Is that something a dremel could do?
    Nope, used a good ol' Black and Decker. (Carefully) peeled about 1/2 inch depth, then set the bit to do the bottom 1/4" or so. Made sure to tape off the top of the body first, one set of hands holding it steady and another set of hands gently working the router... easy if you go slow and take your time. If need be I can clean it up or open it up a bit with a dremel or similar rotary tool, but I think it will work fine.

Post Thanks / Like

OK got everything together, wired up and ready to go, BUT...

I'm having issues with fitting the neck. It seems like the neck pocket on the Affinity Tele is not as deep as a regular Tele. Can this be possible - I know the body is thinner but I would have thought necks were fabricated to a standard dimension? The neck from my Squier Vintage Modified sits too high out of the pocket... even with the saddles cranked up a ridiculous amount the strings still barely get off the 21st fret. What's going on here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That looks like a really nice project! I had not checked in in a while. I hope the neck sorts out for you!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Well I figured it out. The screw holes in the neck from my Vintage Modified Tele were not as deep (apparently) as what an Affinity Tele has. Also, I think the screws from the Affinity Tele were a bit bigger in diameter. This made it very difficult to screw the neck down tight enough to seat properly in the neck pocket. I drilled them out (carefully, with shaking hands and sweat on my brow) and voila... all good. Needs a bit of a set up, but other than that sounds and plays pretty good. I don't think I'll sell it. I'm going to keep it as a backup and for my kids to bang around on. That was a fun project... can't wait to see what's next

Post Thanks / Like

Pics of the final product!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    Pics of the final product!
    How about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast