Thread: Tony Iommi Diagnosed with Lymphoma

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Tony Iommi Diagnosed with Lymphoma

http://www.guitarworld.com/tony-iomm...ans-go-forward

An official statement from the Black Sabbath:

"With the news that Black Sabbath’s Tony Iommi has been diagnosed with the early stages of lymphoma, his bandmates would like everyone to send positive vibes to the guitarist at this time. Iommi is currently working with his doctors to establish the best treatment plan -- the 'Iron Man' of Rock & Roll remains upbeat and determined to make a full and successful recovery."

"This comes as Black Sabbath -- Ozzy Osbourne (vocals), Tony Iommi (guitar), Geezer Butler (bass) and Bill Ward (drums) -- are writing and recording their first album in 33 years in Los Angeles (still set for release this fall) with producer Rick Rubin. They will now go to the UK to continue to work with Tony. Further information will be released as it becomes available."
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Sad news. I wish him a complete recovery.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Get well soon, Tony (like he's gonna see this)!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Man, I hate 2012 so far.

Fight the good fight, Tony!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Turn it up to 12, Tony, and rock that crap out!

Post Thanks / Like

Cancer just sucks...I hope he beats this.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the type (and, from what I understand, they caught it early) lymphoma can be very treatable. Tony's age will be a double-edged sword. As we age our metabolism slows down so cancer can't grow as quickly either. Conversely, you don't have the strength of your youth anymore.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Depending on the type (and, from what I understand, they caught it early) lymphoma can be very treatable.
    An acquaintance I see every few years went through that, struggled through therapy and after-the-facts side effects, but is around.

From my experience (worthy of another post?), and talks I had with oncologists, every cancer is quite different in type, as well as within the type itself. On top of that, every patient's presentation will differ, i.e aggressivity, response to therapy.

Other: Before we had bankers and to a certain degree, software engineers, folks in the medicine field were considered top dogs. Some are just phenomenal people, IMO.
    Reading assignment: "the emperor of all maladies"
    Last edited by poodlesrule; January 21st, 2012 at 06:19 AM. Reason: numerous misspellings!
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Geezer Butler wrote: "Today [Jan19th] we got the engines back up and running @ Tony’s home studio. Far from being down and depressed about his lymphoma diagnosis, Tony had already written the music for two new songs, and I must say it has given us all a kick up the rump- it’s great to hear him churning out those riffs again, assuaging the Demon C. Takes more than that to stop Tony. Can’t wait for you all to hear our workings, it has been great working on this stuff.

"I want to thank the lovely encouraging emails sent to this site giving Tony love and encouragement and great vibes. It really does help, not only Tony, but us as a band- it raises up our spirits and restores our faith in this tarnished world. Sabb fans are good people, time and again you have proven your faith in us and boosted our endeavour.

"Thanks, love, peace."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Update from Tony:

"Well, I've had the last dose of chemotherapy so hopefully my body will start to get back to normal soon, the steroids were the worse. I've now got three weeks of radiotherapy coming up which I'm told can be very tiring so we'll see.

A big thanks to Ozzy and Geezer for coming over to England, it was a big incentive for me, we managed to work most days and have some great new tracks.

And, importantly thanks again for your kind messages, hope to be seeing you soon."

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome!

Now I hope Jon Lord is doing OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingx View Post
    Awesome!

Now I hope Jon Lord is doing OK.
    What's up with Lord?

He may be my favorite all-time keys player.

Post Thanks / Like

I just discovered some of Tony's non-Sabbath stuff for the first time (I know, I'm ashamed that it took this long). I'd heard some Heaven & Hell, but some of his solo stuff with Glen Hughes is really good. Also, the album "Iommi" is really good, and interesting with all the guest artists.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    What's up with Lord?

He may be my favorite all-time keys player.
    He has cancer too.

http://www.thehighwaystar.com/news/2...ghting-cancer/