Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Buried under gear - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buried under gear

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    Somehow I seem to get tighter and tighter with the money every passing year, and less and less inclined to pay for guitars etc. and rather spend more money in home improvements really. I guess I'm just getting old.
    You and me both. I agree with most of what you just said. My wife and I were just talking about this stuff last night: how you might have things you like, but if you're honest with yourself, you really don't have a need for it. For instance, we got these pretty nice daypacks for our wedding almost 2 years ago that was a really thoughtful gift from her uncle. When we moved everything into storage recently, we considered getting rid of them until we googled how much they were worth: $120 a piece. So now they're in storage, still in the plastic, with two other very nice daypacks that we already have and use for all of our hiking and camping currently. So why keep them? I don't know. We shouldn't, but it's hard to get rid of them.

It's that stupid compulsion to justify keeping things that I would like to break myself of. For some, they don't mind it, and I have no issue with them having loads of stuff, but I find it to be this thing that exerts a little control over me. And I don't like that. I realize that I'm fortunate for having the option to have all of this stuff, but that doesn't change the fact that it's easy for me to get wrapped up in it. Guess I'll just keep chipping away at it and maybe find a balance eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm finding that building/repairing stuff helps fill some of the GAS void. I'm working on a Dean EVO, (LP Clone, Czech Made), and it's a really, really nice player. I wish I had one, but at least I got to play this one for a couple weeks. Really digging the Pearly Gates PUPs in it.

Fixing my Pro Jr. was pretty fun, I learned a lot and now have a pretty sweet amp. That was good for a few months of satisfaction. It's been 8 weeks since I decided to build a 5E3 and 12-inch speaker cab. Yesterday I got the cab done. I will need to build another in the spring, this one was a right PITA, but I learned a ton and it works, for now. Now I can move on the the 5E3 bit, I started drilling out the chassis yesterday, this is a PITA too. I can't wait until the fun part (soldering components). I've got some photos ready, I'm thinking I'll maybe do my first blog here.

So, I guess, in my mind, the amp building/guitar repairing stuff is some kind of justification for GAS. I feel like I'm learning a lot and that maybe at some point, I'll be able to fund (some) gear purchases by using my tech skills. Already, I've made $60 and been given a Samick Ray Benson Tele, a Samick Strat, and a Samick Bass in return for my services. It also gets me into musician circles in my hometown, which is pretty cool too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64 View Post
    I'm finding that building/repairing stuff helps fill some of the GAS void. I'm working on a Dean EVO, (LP Clone, Czech Made), and it's a really, really nice player. I wish I had one, but at least I got to play this one for a couple weeks. Really digging the Pearly Gates PUPs in it.

Fixing my Pro Jr. was pretty fun, I learned a lot and now have a pretty sweet amp. That was good for a few months of satisfaction. It's been 8 weeks since I decided to build a 5E3 and 12-inch speaker cab. Yesterday I got the cab done. I will need to build another in the spring, this one was a right PITA, but I learned a ton and it works, for now. Now I can move on the the 5E3 bit, I started drilling out the chassis yesterday, this is a PITA too. I can't wait until the fun part (soldering components). I've got some photos ready, I'm thinking I'll maybe do my first blog here.

So, I guess, in my mind, the amp building/guitar repairing stuff is some kind of justification for GAS. I feel like I'm learning a lot and that maybe at some point, I'll be able to fund (some) gear purchases by using my tech skills. Already, I've made $60 and been given a Samick Ray Benson Tele, a Samick Strat, and a Samick Bass in return for my services. It also gets me into musician circles in my hometown, which is pretty cool too.
    That's a good idea. It brings up a weird point, though: I don't feel like I have GAS. I haven't had any desire to own more stuff in a year or so -- maybe a modeler now and then and a reverb pedal, but I got a reverb pedal and like it, and I never bought a modeler. I just somehow ended up with a bunch of stuff. Still, if I get fidgety later on, it seems like a good idea to start building stuff. I'm way behind you in terms of my repair skills, but I recently redid my hello kitty guitar, which taught me a good bit about wiring, so I get what you're saying.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I'm finding that building/repairing stuff helps fill some of the GAS void.
    Or in my case, the financial one! I love to fix and repair things. For as long as I can remember I've dabbled in electronics and I am a pretty decent woodworker, but it wasn't until I starting wanting gear that cost way too much money that I started building or restoring guitars and pedals. And yes... it keeps me buying guitars and pedals. But I still want them!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cebreez View Post
    Or in my case, the financial one! I love to fix and repair things. For as long as I can remember I've dabbled in electronics and I am a pretty decent woodworker, but it wasn't until I starting wanting gear that cost way too much money that I started building or restoring guitars and pedals. And yes... it keeps me buying guitars and pedals. But I still want them!!
    In my case, I got into building my own amps because I couldn't afford to buy a amp, which was a nice take on the Fender Champ, but with high gain capabilities. It was a nice hand-wired, true point-to-point, American made amp which now seems like a steal at $440. I started building Champ-style amps and it snowballed from there. Now I've got a room full of parts, over 1,00 tubes, lots of caps, resistors, chassis and other associated parts. I'm going to be downsizing soon. It's been a while since I built my last amp and I'm going to be moving to a smaller place soon. It's been a case of the junk owning me.

I've had a blast and learned a lot, though.
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Eric, I have pondered the same question many times. I also factored my skill level (lack thereof) into it, questioning whether I play well enough to have certain gear and whether I make "good enough" use of it. I have a few friends that amass gear much more compulsively and expensively than I do. That said, I think that I've come to a better place with the question. I don't spend a lot on my gear for the most part, and I do enjoy playing with it. Playing with other people makes having the gear seem more worthwhile to me -- not that playing alone in one's abode isn't worthwhile. Clearly this is a very individual matter.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish there was a "gear library" where I could just check stuff out for a few weeks and see what it sounds like, how it plays, etc. I don't need to "own" a lot of stuff, but I love to mess with stuff.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Hound View Post
    I wish there was a "gear library" where I could just check stuff out for a few weeks and see what it sounds like, how it plays, etc. I don't need to "own" a lot of stuff, but I love to mess with stuff.
    I was just talking about that exact same thing recently with my wife. I think someone in another thread (the environmental one) mentioned how the best way to conserve resources is to buy only one guitar, which I agree with. The problem is that when I was starting off, I had no fricking clue which guitar I wanted or how they sounded or anything, so there's a certain amount of churn necessary to be able to figure out what that one guitar is. The same could be said for pedals, amps, etc. A guitar library would be an incredible thing, though I'm not sure if it would work, since there's a certain amount of maturity required to figure out what you like and stick with it. A maturity that I don't seem to have just yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is a gear library. It's called Craig's List. It costs a fraction of buying new, and if you are selective, you can try lots of gear that can be moved on later...at minimal addition to your original expenditure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64 View Post
    There is a gear library. It's called Craig's List. It costs a fraction of buying new, and if you are selective, you can try lots of gear that can be moved on later...at minimal addition to your original expenditure.
    I'm glad that's true in Ohio Commodore 64 but it is not true around here. I live too close to Nashville, TN and they think used means you knock off $10 and shut up about it. You can only get good deals on CL if your looking for really expensive gear at which point they will knock off $20. Seriously, I bought a Peavey Generations EXP brand new at the Music Store for $119. Can still get one brand new all day long for $189.(which is still overpriced) Just saw one on CL in Nashville for $300 used!

Back when I was playing in a band there were always several music stores on our routes where we could sit and sample new instruments. I would usually sit with one a minimum of 15 times before deciding whether to buy it. (I didn't buy many back then) Still can at Guitar Center, Sam Ash, World Music, and I'm sure there are others. But I know what you mean. You want to get it home, in private, where you can put it through its paces and see what it sounds like through your setup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12