Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Your top three favourite solos?

Thread: Your top three favourite solos?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Your top three favourite solos?

Which are your favouite solos? For me it changes of course, as you discover new music, which is the point of this thread.

My own top three would be:

Maggot Brain by Funkadelic, Eddiie Hazel on guitar. I think it's just briliant and the entire song has many different layers.

Feelni' bad blues by Ry Cooder. Explanation needed?

Shine on you crazy diamond by Pink Floyd. Again, explanation seems redundant

/Hampus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hampus View Post
    Which are your favouite solos? For me it changes of course, as you discover new music, which is the point of this thread.

My own top three would be:

Maggot Brain by Funkadelic, Eddiie Hazel on guitar. I think it's just briliant and the entire song has many different layers.

Feelni' bad blues by Ry Cooder. Explanation needed?

Shine on you crazy diamond by Pink Floyd. Again, explanation seems redundant

/Hampus
    Now this is a hard one and only three, so here you go.

Shine on you crazy diamond. An epic song deserves a epic guitar solo, 17 minutes of pure genius.
    Comfortably numb : Regarded as the best guitar solo ever, and I have to agree.
    Hotel California: Another perfect guitar solo, no flashy bits, just melodic guitar playing from Walsh and co.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That answer would depend on what musical mood I was in at the time.

Just off the top,

I Want You (She's So Heavy) - The Beatles, always is enjoyable.
    Gravity, live version, Mayer

Hard to pick a third.
    Time, by Pink Floyd is one I enjoy. So many others too.
    "Soi What" by Miles Davis is another all time favorite. (not guitar, but then you did not specify guitar).

Also, I went with my "favorites" at least on a given day, not most technically or otherwise impressive, etc.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    "Soi What" by Miles Davis is another all time favorite. (not guitar, but then you did not specify guitar).
    Exactly, which is why my list looks like this...

1. Miles Davis "Right Off" - One of Miles' most incredible extended solos.
    2. Tom Waits "Jockey Full of Boubon" (guitar by Marc Ribot) - This is the song that forever addicted me to Ribot's playing.
    3. Allman Brothers Band "Blue Sky" (joint solo by Duane Allman and Dickey Betts) - Two great players that created an absolutely beautiful solo that could stand alone with either player's part yet fits perfectly together as a whole.

Honorable mention to Robert Quine's solo on Lou Reed's "Waves of Fear" and just about every solo Mick Taylor played during his time with the Stones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I find it difficult to pull 3 favorites among so many! I'll add some as they come to me.

The "Shine On..." intro solo is pretty awesome. Simple sweetness, especially David's more recent version:

Post Thanks / Like

PEDAL TO METAL by Sonny Landreth. Slide guitar wizardry by the master.

STATESBORO BLUES/ONE WAY OUT---by ABB. Duane just tears it up on slide.

CROSSROADS by Cream---Clapton at his best.......IMHO

Post Thanks / Like

Buckethead/Praxis: "Seven Laws of Woo" from Transmutation

David Lindley: "Mercury Blues" from El Rayo-X

Black Sabbath: "Zero the Hero" from Born Again
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if these are the 'right' answers for all of the music snobs out there, but I like these three:

Smashing Pumpkins - Landslide
    Jethro Tull - Aqualung
    Def Leppard - Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I don't know if these are the 'right' answers for all of the music snobs out there, but I like these three:
    There is no right or wrong with anyone's favorite solos or songs, or at least there shouldn't be.

Sure, many of us here may have our agreements and disagreements when it comes to music (this is putting it mildly), but we can't really say another's fav's are wrong.
    Good thing the thread wasn't titled the three best solos, however!

Post Thanks / Like

Randy Rhoads: Crazy Train
    George Lynch: Mr. Scary
    SRV: Little Wing (yes, I prefer his version to the Hendrix original)
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mm, hard to say, but if I recall right, almost any solo from If You Want Blood AC/DC live album.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I mean, I can't listen to these solos and not have the hair on my arms stand up and bring a smile to my face...to me, that's exactly what rock guitar should be all about...not the polished guitar hero stuff:

Sometimes I keep forgetting it, but Angus sure was and is The rock guitarist for me. And Malcom always is under-appreciated.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

The Beatles - Old Brown Shoe
    Paul McCartney - Maybe I'm Amazed
    Rainbow - Death Alley Driver

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

#1 (starts around 3:49): Blackmoore - Gates of Babylon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu8HiZepRWo

#2 (starts around 2:33): Rhodes: Over and Over: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0sD0j4jJ84

#3 (starts around 1:45) Van Halen: Ice Cream Man
    Steve
    P R O J E C T - 4 3
    http://www.project-43.com/
    Support Indie Music!
    http://itunes.com/project-43