Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the first guitar solo you remember catching your attention?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default What is the first guitar solo you remember catching your attention?

You know, the one that said, "Whoa!, that rocks!"

I'll be honest. For me, the earliest one I can remember is this:

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I saw Peter do his Comes Alive show at the Pamona fairgrounds the night before he recorded the Frisco gig that became the world record breaking seller. Brownsville Station goofed it up, then PF, a drunk and fun Lynyrd Skynyrd, and a killer Black Sabbath.
    My first head turning guitar solo was something by Scotty Moore, due to all the Elvis my baby sitting cousin played.
    Then she dated Dick Dale and the fuse was lit!

Post Thanks / Like

I discovered Pink Floyd the first year I went to high school, which was 1980. The Wall had just been released the previous year.

"Comfortably Numb" was my favorite song for a long because of the solos. The second solo/outro was my favorite. It took me a long time to appreciate the first solo.
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

AC/DC Long way to the top. Bagpipes and guitar trading off was way cool back then.

Post Thanks / Like

Luther Perkins on "Folsom Prison Blues", Don Rich on "Buckaroo", James Burton on "Working Man Blues".

My Dad was a huge country fan (and a damn fine musician) and I grew up listening to Johnny, Buck, and Merle. The sounds of that era have left a lasting impression on me.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had the Frampton Comes Alive album as a kid when it first came out, and dug it. I liked most of the songs, and the solos were cool, but the heaviness of "I'll Give You Money" attracted me.

However, the first solo that really caught my attention was the year before, "Bohemian Rhapsody".

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hm...could be some solo on some Michael Jackson track on Thriller...the one EVH plays.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I was 12 in 1972 and blown away.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was blown away by that one too, but not until I heard it in like '79 in the high school lunch room.

What is it about middle school and this? Spud, at 12, you were in middle school at the time Yes got your attention, as I was in middle school when Frampton got mine.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Richards' solo on "Sympathy for the Devil" was one I remember loving as a kid. I thought that tone was the coolest thing ever.

The other one that really opened up my eyes was the first time as a teenager I heard Robert Quine's solo on the Voidoid's "Blank Generation." Not a flashy solo. Not a long solo. Just a solo that sounded so different than anything I'd heard before.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if I remember the first solo that really struck me. I do remember the first sound that really struck me. It was George Lynch's pinch harmonics at the beginning of Dokken's otherwise lamentable "Burning like a Flame." Loved them ever since. Screeeeeeeam!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably would have to be "Pipeline", the old surf song played by Dick Dale and others including SRV.

Post Thanks / Like

It's gotta be something off of Fleetwood Mac's live album... My stepdad had this cool Trans Am with T-tops, and we'd blast that cassette on road trips. Lindsey Buckingham's guitar work was my first exposure to rock music with solos...

Post Thanks / Like

My memory is a bit hazy, but I'm reasonably sure it would have been something from Dark Side of the Moon or Led Zep IV, as aside from American Pie, they were the first two albums I can remember borrowing off a friend at school and riding home with up my shirt. It's horribly cliche' but if I have to pick, it was probably Mr Page in Whole Lotta Love.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin View Post
    It's horribly cliche' but if I have to pick, it was probably Mr Page in Whole Lotta Love.
    Cool! That is the thing, it does not matter if it is cheesy, since presumably we were all kids when it happened. It is what one grabbed you first that you remember. Good answer.

In fact, I like all the answers. I was wondering when a surf song was gonna come up. The only other answer I can think of is something off of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", which I know has some good guitar. But I can't think of a specific song, and any parts I think of are piano. So I went with Frampton.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good question. I didn't really get into music until I was in high school (94). Before then I just heard the oldies station that my mom would play in the car, but I never paid attention to anything outside of the obvious melodies like in Beatles songs.

But anyway, I guess it would be Weezer or something. Maybe the guitar solo in "Buddy Holly?" Honestly though, I don't think I really noticed a guitar solo until I heard that STP song "Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart." Probably a weird first guitar solo to catch my attention, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIuIIqbyEIU

OMG! I am old!
    Last edited by Spudman; January 20th, 2012 at 11:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33 View Post
    My Dad was a huge country fan (and a damn fine musician) and I grew up listening to Johnny, Buck, and Merle. The sounds of that era have left a lasting impression on me.
    I grew up watching Hee Haw and so Roy Clark and Buck Owens were the first guitar players I remember, along with Cash, Merle, Willie, and any other kind of honky-tonk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon View Post
    I grew up watching Hee Haw and so Roy Clark and Buck Owens were the first guitar players I remember, along with Cash, Merle, Willie, and any other kind of honky-tonk.
    I remember this Roy Clark bit from when I was a kid. I saw it again recently showing DVDs to my kid and she enjoyed it as well. He's so damn talented it's ridiculous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast