Thread: thick coating on my Dot's fretboard?

Post Thanks / Like

Default thick coating on my Dot's fretboard?

Looks like there's some kind of coating on the rosewood board on my Dot which darkens the color as well. Anybody else notice this. I think I might just have a thicker coating on this particular guitar as my Epi 61 SG reissue doesn't have this heavy coat. I went over the fretboard with some orange oil and 0000 steel wool but it didn't remove much so I'm just leaving it alone as it's not a big deal. Just curious if other Epi owners have this?

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen any coating of an Epiphone rosewood fretboard. Are you meaning that it's a dye to make the fretboard darker or is there some sort of finish on the board? Did you get the guitar used or new?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought it new, now that you mention it it could be a dye to make the board darker.

Post Thanks / Like

Should not be anything on there at all. They use pretty good rosewood, uncoated.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't sound normal, and even if it is dye it shouldn't feel like a coating of any kind really. I do know for a fact that Gibson dyes some of their fretboards (they said it in an email to me), but I do not know that Epiphone ever does.