Maybe the Holy Grail of noob questions.
    #1 Quality time to practice.
    #2 Dedication.
    #3 Quality gear that is affordable.
    #4 Learn properly. www.guitarprinciples.com

Yours?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That you're not gonna be making a career out of it & there's always gonna be players wayyyy better and more successful than you no matter how much you tried :-)

And IF despite all odds you're gonna somehow make it into a career or even a self-sustaining hobby, forget about normal life & family and good steady income. Chances are very slim.

Also IF it seems you could make it a career, be aware that it likely includes making tough choices, disregarding and discarding friendships and forgetting about just having fun and partying about it - music making is a career just like others, and a very unforgiving and tough one at that that needs a level business head more than it does creativity and whatnot.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I like this thread.

I guess if I had one, it would be finding someone who knows what they're doing and who has been around the block and listening to and trusting them. The tough part is in realizing just how difficult this is. I've been 'tutored' by a couple of people who were just blowing smoke up my ***, and they hurt more than they helped. There was an awful lot of stuff for me to learn, and it has taken exponentially longer because it's been largely self-taught.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Just because someone who has been playing forever is getting into all kinds of exotic scales, it doesn't mean that you have to. Conquer the pentatonic. That other stuff won't go anywhere.

I also wish when I was first playing bass that I had the slightest hint of music theory. That way I could have learned one pattern for all the modes and not try to jam different ones in my head for each. What a waste of time.

Oh yeah: if you have a bass (or guitar, for that matter) that you really like, don't sell it even if you think you'll never play again. You'll hate yourself for it.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    I also wish when I was first playing bass that I had the slightest hint of music theory. That way I could have learned one pattern for all the modes and not try to jam different ones in my head for each. What a waste of time.
    I'm not sure I understand this point; how do you view it now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Listen to lead players other than guitar players. You can learn a good deal about phrasing by listening to horn players and pianists that you might not get by limiting your influences strictly to guitarists.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this point; how do you view it now?
    The Metal Method lessons opened my eyes on that subject. Since so much of metal is minor, he teaches it from the standpoint of the minor key (instead of the major key like most music theory books will). You learn patterns for the A minor scale all over the neck (five total, seven with three-notes-per-string). Once you know that, you know every mode. All that changes is the root. For example, if I play the A minor pattern starting on "A," it's a minor. If I play the same pattern but start on "C," it's C major. If I start on "E," it's E Phrygian. One set of patterns, you know every mode. Of course, in metal you don't use every mode anyway. The big ones are minor, Phrygian, and the occasional Dorian.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I like Marnold's suggestion about learning theory. If I would have been more receptive of learning some in the beginning I'm sure I'd be much farther along in my skills. Mine is all ear training.

Two other things that I wish I would have grasped early on: learn the business end of music, and don't get real drunk at a gig, do a bunch of cocaine and forget to take your expensive guitar home with you.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    ... and don't get real drunk at a gig, do a bunch of cocaine and forget to take your expensive guitar home with you.
    Well if we're getting that specific with them, don't plug in to play for the first time with a neighbor you're trying to impress and forget that you left your guitar in an open tuning and sit there looking bewildered when the notes you're trying to play of a song you've played a thousand times before come out sounding utterly wrong. By the way, if you were to commit that error, the remedy is as follows... Suddenly realize you're in open G and begin cranking out Brown Sugar as if the prior thirty seconds were some odd avant-garde ambient intro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

• That guitar/amp/pedal you are lusting after and just know it is the best possible choice in the world, even though you know nothing about guitars/amps/pedals... Well, it is very likely you will find out that is wasn't all that, after you purchase it. (take online reviews and demo's with a grain of salt, too) Don't be taken in by a dumb or too slick sales person at the store.
    • Learning guitar will take plenty of time, patience, and dedication. It will take years to sound like what you really want to, if you have the talent and dedication. Don't expect too much right away, but don't let this advice turn you away. You will enjoy the journey and be surprised just how good you can sound fairly soon. *This doesn't apply much to prodigies, however.

There are many exceptions to the above.
    This became more advice to new players than stuff I wish I knew. I'll add more later...
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

#1 Cool it on the drugs. Seriously.
    #2 The guy running the board is not your enemy. He really wants to make you sound good to everyone else in the house - listen to his suggestions.
    #3 It hasn't all been done before.
    #4 Really. Lay off the drugs.
    #5 The guitar is the instrument, not just the strings. The whole thing makes music.
    #6 Sometimes, noise is just noise....not the "coolest thing I ever heard!!".
    #7 Listen to all styles of music, not just the guitarists you want to sound like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    #5 The guitar is the instrument, not just the strings. The whole thing makes music.
    +1

There are a great many sounds to get out the guitar without involving the strings.

#6 Sometimes, noise is just noise....not the "coolest thing I ever heard!!".
    Conversely, sometimes noise is exactly what the situation calls for. Not every solo needs to be a means of forward propulsion in a predictable arc. It's all in how the player approaches the noise.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I had known what I know now...

1. Learn musical theory. Not just how to do things, but why. This will help you in the future as you well be able to figure things out even if you don't know them by heart.

2. Practice with a metronome.

3. practice with a metronome.

4. Jam with others, our practice to a song from your cd our mp3 player.

5. Speed isn't everything. Timing and phrasing is even more important.

6. Practice rhythm as much as you practice lead.

And last but not least, practice with a metronome!

/Hampus

Sent from my cobra phone

Post Thanks / Like

Practice various picking patterns. Couldn't tell you how much time I wasted trying to work out the timing of a song or tab, only to now know it is just a picking pattern.

Train your ear. Not just hope it comes with practice, but actively add techniques into daily practice. There and websites that play a random note or chord & and you learn to distinguish which. The quicker you get this skill the better. JustinGuitar.com has this.

Learn theory. Guitar is about creativity, and it's easier when you know why something does or doesn't work.

Start writing a song as early as possible. It forces you to put theory into Practice and gives an idea how other song created.

Take all advise with a pinch of salt. It's your journey, enjoy the experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh two others,

use a metronome always. Learn slow as well as fast.

Learn some stage craft. Way too many accomplished musicians fail to entertain their audience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by msteeln View Post
    Maybe the Holy Grail of noob questions.
    #1 Quality time to practice.
    #2 Dedication.
    #3 Quality gear that is affordable.
    #4 Learn properly. www.guitarprinciples.com

Yours?

I may have been told some of these and not paid attention, but in any case:

1) Proper and efficient ergonomic techniques in fretting, ie, how to efficiently place and hold hand depending on what is going on, where to place thumb (not up the neck), how to hold the guitar , etc. Some additional feedback from my first instructor, who is basically a folk style acoustic strummer and finger picker, would have been nice.
    2) Importance of practicing rhythm skills, and subdivisions of beat. I really wish I did not develop, and have to overcome, the habit of starting and stopping my right hand while strumming in order to match time. I jumped into learning songs (maybe forced my instructor to teach me some honestly), and tried just to match what was going on by ear and by starting and stopping my hand as my sense of time told me. Instead, I it would have been better to learn (and practice) how to move my hand constantly in time, subdivide time and strike the strings in accordance with the subdivisions, with the right hand moving in time the entire time.

Those are the main things I can think of right now.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting how many people mentioned rhythm. As someone who came to guitar from bass, rhythm isn't a problem because that's what bass _is_. Granted, there's still quite a difference between bass and rhythm guitar, but once you've got the beat, you can do lots with it. If you don't have the beat, it won't matter what you're playing.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

My tip - if you want good looking babes to show up for your gigs - don't play jazz!!!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

#2 The guy running the board is not your enemy. He really wants to make you sound good to everyone else in the house - listen to his suggestions.
    That's right. Running a discussion board is hard grunt work, but I am not your foe. I do want you to sound terrific.

(sorry, couldn't resist. All the stress lately is messing with my humour)
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast