Thread: Peavey Foundation Upgrade

Post Thanks / Like

Default Peavey Foundation Upgrade

I've completed the upgrades to my Peavey Foundation "toofless" bass, and I can definitely hear the difference. The bit of "sproing" that it had is now gone, and the tuners are creamy smooth, probably the nicest tuners I've ever felt on a bass before! Schaller does some precision work.

For those who hadn't read my other writeup on this bass, let me back up for a moment. The instrument itself was purchased on eBay. It actually didn't sell the first time out (there were no bidders). This was probably due to it being a home-made fretless. People were afraid of it. Well, I decided to take the chance, having had experience with Peavey guitars of the '90s.

The bass arrived pretty much as I expected, a good starting point needing only a couple of rough edges dealt with. The de-fretting was quite well done, so that, luckily, was not a problem. The stock bridge was kind of cheesy, and the tuners felt stiff and scratchy.

I started looking for replacement parts, and it wasn't long before a deal came up on eBay for a set of NOS Ovation by Schaller tuners. It didn't matter to me that the Ovation logo was on the back of the tuner, it was the Schaller quality I was after. At under $25 I popped. Next, I came across a used, but very clean Schaller roller bridge at a local guitar show. I had originally thought of using my favorite, Leo Quan's Badass II, but I couldn't pass on the price for this high quality piece.

I had already installed a set of D'Addario's XL Chrome strings (ECB81 - .045-.100), so these were carefully removed. The tuners had locating pins (instead of mounting screws), so once I had the originals out, I had to mock up and drill shallow holes for the pins. A dremel is a wonderful tool! Once those were done, the tuners went into place and their nuts were tightened down. The bridge, unlike a Badass II, was not a drop-in replacement. The Schaller uses 3 mounting holes, so I had to first fill in the original bridge's mount locations. With that accomplished, I lined up where the Schaller would sit and marked off where I needed to drill out for the mounting screws. The bridge was screwed into place. After leaving everything to sit overnight, I reinstalled the strings.

I am including a couple of shots to show you what the setup looks like. I still have to fill in the holes from the old tuners, but that will be accomplished in good time. Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention that I re-relocated the bottom strap button.
    Last edited by r_a_smith3530; December 6th, 2006 at 11:18 PM.
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. There's also nothing like the pure tone of flatwounds.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    Nice. There's also nothing like the pure tone of flatwounds.
    Yes tone, you are quite right. I have them on everything except my acoustic bass, and it may get them before long!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, my preference in flatwounds is D'Addario's XL Chromes. They seem to have the best mix of price, feel, low tension, and tone that I desire. I will say here that my no holds barred fav is Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats, and my G&L is strung with these, but their price prvents me from stringing everything I own with them.
    Last edited by r_a_smith3530; December 6th, 2006 at 11:18 PM.
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice work! Every day here, I watch and learn.

Steve
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by r_a_smith3530
    Yes tone, you are quite right. I have them on everything except my acoustic bass, and it may get them before long!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, my preference in flatwounds is D'Addario's XL Chromes. They seem to have the best mix of price, feel, low tension, and tone that I desire. I will say here that my no holds barred fav is Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats, and my G&L is strung with these, but their price prvents me from stringing everything I own with them.

I'm not sure what flats came on my Jazz Bass when I got it but man they FEEL good and sound awesome. Thanks for your recommedations on the strings I'll have to give those a whirl.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    I'm not sure what flats came on my Jazz Bass when I got it but man they FEEL good and sound awesome. Thanks for your recommedations on the strings I'll have to give those a whirl.
    If it's the Squire, they are probably Fender 9050's. I've heard some folks speak kindly of those and others not-so-kindly. If you check at Musician's Friend, they are definitely priced right!
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!