Thread: Fender Mustang amps -- A bit of focus

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fender Mustang amps -- A bit of focus

Hello Mustang owners!

I have spent quite a bit of time with my handy dandy Mustang I since scoring it last summer, and while I like it quite a bit, I haven't really been able to settle on one amp. To me, this is my downfall when it comes to modelers: there are many great-sounding amps, but I keep hopping from one to another when I want a different sound, instead of just figuring out how to squeeze more from a particular model. While not every model is perfect in the Mustang series, there are quite a few good ones. Just last night, I was messing around with the dual rectifier model and using the volume control to clean it up, an application for which I wouldn't initially think of a dual recto.

So my question for you: what's your favorite model on the amp? 57 Deluxe? Bassman? Deluxe Reverb? Twin Reverb? Plexi (70s British I believe)? JCM800? I won't list all of them out, but I want to pick one and just focus for a while, so I'd like to know which sounds you guys like best from the amp and where you spend your time when playing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Funny, but I rarely look to see which model is actually used (I'd have to put on reading glasses to see!). I just turn the selector until I get what I need.

Since I don't have any systems running Fuse right now, I can't look up the exact models onboard. I like how the Mustang portrays the classic Fender amps like the '57 Deluxe, the '59 Bassman, and the '65 Twin the most. The only user patch I remember downloading by name was a Brian Setzer model for rockabilly slap-back.

I'm tempted to replace the I with the III for more effects, flexibility, and a nicer speaker, but now I'm leaning toward the Fender Super Champ X2 head that just came out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

focus, schmocus!! Enjoy it all!

I don't know this particular amph, but I typically like either a '59 Bassman type model (line6/Gearbox), or a Marshall (Peavey Vyper). On the Vox amphs, I think I liked the AC15 the best. I tend to get stuck on one model and setting, and not use the other stuff available. I personally think it is great you hop around in your settings. The details will dial in with time.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Hands down, I spend more time on the Twin model than anything else. It just sounds so good. All I do is dial in either a little touch of reverb, or maybe some delay.

That's all it needs. Throw the selector switch to "quack" and I'm in Strat heaven.

Post Thanks / Like

I had my running shoes on and almost out the door for a III until I read about the 'fizz' on clean settings, which are important for my needs.
    I'll paste the possible fix first and hope to hear more about the problem being solved:
    On a 12/30/2011 review here on Amazon, the reviewer mentioned "We also downloaded new firmware from Fender and used the software to eliminate a fizz issue that existed in earlier versions."

This amp fizzes. By fizz, I mean an oddly distorted decay envelope on clean settings, making it unsuitable for styles such as clean jazz and acoustic. I purchased one from Amazon and it started fizzing, badly, just outside the return period. No problem, I thought, I'll get Fender to swap it out for a non-fizzing one under their 5 year warranty. No such luck. Fender refused to swap it out for a new one because, incredibly, they told me (and separately, the manager at the warranty service center) that they all do it, or will, and that it's just part of the design. They say they know what causes it, but they aren't giving specifics and they don't have a fix. Their official posted position is that they don't think it's enough of a problem to do anything about. Because Fender wouldn't honor the warranty, Amazon agreed to take it back, less shipping both ways, so I'm out nearly $100. There are several lengthy discussions on the Fender community forum, including an unscientific poll showing that half of the respondents are reporting issues with the fizz on Mustangs III through V. If you play mostly crunchy or high gain models or are looking at rock modeling settings, the fizz probably won't affect you. But if you are thinking you'll get nice clean tones for jazz or acoustic, read up on this issue. I liked the amp, the form factor, the software, and versatility, but the fizz sound made it sound horrid for my purposes. Caveat emptor.

Post Thanks / Like

I play clean, and haven't updated the firmware, and still have no fizz issues. At extremely low volumes (just into the audible range), notes kind of cut out abruptly, but once I turn it up to a normal practice level, I've had no problems. "Normal practice level" for me means that I can speak at a normal volume and still be heard clearly over the amph.

Turning the amph up, it sounds completely different. It's more open.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    Turning the amph up, it sounds completely different. It's more open.
    I totally agree. Man, in November I was staying in a house where frequently I was the only person home and it was not connected to other houses. I let that sucker rip on one of the Marshall settings and it was sweet. I wish I could do that more often.

That said, it looked like the fizz was only an issue on the Mustang III, IV, and V from what he wrote above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

The fizz, among other things, is what made me go through two IIIs and ultimately return and look elsewhere. What I loved was how light the III was, the ability to tweak from the amp, and, when not fizzing, the sound itself.