Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite Skynyrd song?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's your favorite Skynyrd song?

I watched the VH1 Behind the Music about Lynyrd Skynyrd today and it left a pretty big impression. Needless to say about 20 Skynyrd songs have been rambling around my head ever since. They had so many good songs, some better known than others, but almost everyone of them is good.

What is your favorite Skynyrd song? Only pick one...if you can. I challenge you.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Their version of J J Cale's..........Call Me The Breeze.........just love that song to death.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I dunno if I ever heard any other songs by them except for Sweet Home Alabama. Isn't that theirs?
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Easy: That Smell.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Mister Banker
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That Smell is the first that came to mind.

But I will admit, that although it was overplayed and covered to death, I still also love "Freebird". I am just of that age. Reminds me of insecure dancing (on the parts of both participatnts) in a high school gym, and sweaty high school mashing later on.

Gimme Three Steps would be right up there too. I guess I can't pick just one!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I think 'Gimme Three Steps' or 'Sweet Home Alabama.' Unoriginal I'm sure, but those are the ones that stick out to me. I actually played 'Sweet Home Alabama' tonight for a quasi-audition and sang it at the same time (didn't know this was going to be an audition), so it's fresh on my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Travelin' Man.

Used to play this one at gigs.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    ...(didn't know this was going to be an audition)...
    Don't you hate it when that happens? "Oh, we need a dep..." followed by "...well..."

Post Thanks / Like

Simple Man. Anybody can make it their own with impassioned output, whereas most other LS material is too identifiable with them no matter what you do.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a toss up for me between "Don't Ask No Questions" and "Curtis Lowe." But finally I think I just go with "Curtis Lowe." The reason is that it reminds me so much of growing up in rural Mississippi in the 1960s. We lived out in the sticks and when you finally got to the highway, if you went a couple miles, there was this small store where we'd buy candy and trade in our empty soda bottles and buy firecrackers. Seems like there was always a black guy manning the store, sitting on a rocking chair out front drinking Nehi soda pop. The song puts me back there every time I hear it.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn Spud......didn't know you are a Southerner by birth and raised there. That's a long trip from the South to Idaho. Flat lands of the Delta to the mountains you love to ride/climb in. What's the Cliff Notes version of how you wound up in Idaho? I'm totally fascinated by these type of stories........as I live within 10 miles of where I was born and raised (a Philly boy through and through).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by msteeln View Post
    Simple Man. Anybody can make it their own with impassioned output, whereas most other LS material is too identifiable with them no matter what you do.
    +1 This is by far my favorite of theirs. It is also one of the few I'm not sick of hearing.

Post Thanks / Like

Tuesday's gone.

Sent from my cobra phone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    What's the Cliff Notes version of how you wound up in Idaho?
    Witness protection program.

Post Thanks / Like

"Curtis Lowe" is really the only Skynyrd song I like, but I do like that one a lot.
    I suppose I have some nostalgic fondness for "Tuesday's Gone" but only because of it's place in the film Dazed & Confused.

Post Thanks / Like

freebird!

Post Thanks / Like

Gimme Three Steps, That Smell, Simpleman, or Call Me The Breeze

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BranJLew View Post
    Gimme Three Steps, That Smell, Simpleman, or Call Me The Breeze

Chose one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast