Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yamaha THR AMps anybody?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    I'm genuinely excited about this product and what it could do for me. But I do understand also that if your sole use for this amp is as a practice amp there are other better bang for buck options out there.
    Your explanation makes sense, and I think I understand a bit better now. It seems like it's definitely a specific-use tool, kind of what you said about a desktop studio. I can see this either really succeeding (due to frustration from people about VST menu surfing and monitoring issues) or struggling to find a market (since a lot of people already have a lot of the stuff that this replaces). The latter point was why I didn't really understand the attraction. I don't feel like I have a very complete recording setup, but even I have some computer speakers, an audio interface, some headphones and a USB amp. When I've recorded, I've just monitored myself through the amp and the backing track either via headphones or my computer speakers. Then again, I wasn't trying to do it late at night so I never had to have all sources coming through just one listening device (i.e. headphones or amp).

BTW, I didn't mean to put down the THR or defend any other amps -- just trying to use a convenient example with the Mustang I. I know you probably realize that, but this is the internet (where people get worked up all of the time), so I figured it doesn't hurt to qualify my statements a little bit. Thanks for expanding on your thoughts a little bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    The ZOOM G3 also looks like a cool tool. I'd be interested to hear your opinions on it.
    Count me as interested as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    BTW, I didn't mean to put down the THR or defend any other amps -- just trying to use a convenient example with the Mustang I. I know you probably realize that, but this is the internet (where people get worked up all of the time), so I figured it doesn't hurt to qualify my statements a little bit. Thanks for expanding on your thoughts a little bit.
    I knew exactly where you were coming from Eric. I do have a reasonable recording setup at the moment also but my PC speakers crapped out on me a year ago and I never bothered replacing them because I was mostly using headphones while the kids were in bed (which started my monitoring frustrations with the Mustang). So I'm in the market for a good set of monitoring speakers anyway which justifies/offsets some of the cost of a THR. I also find that I get so little time to play these days that I don't want the hassle of trying to get the right sounds and then running cables between multiple devices. The THR just seems a bit cleaner in that regard. Time will tell I guess, I remember being very excited when I got my Mustang too but over time it's weaknesses (albeit minor) started to bother me more and more. We'll see how I get on with the Yamaha when I eventually order one.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure it is too much to expect since Vox only recently redesigned the Valvetronix amps, but it would be nice to have a bi-directional USB feature on them that allows you to playback your tracks while playing your guitar and recording/jamming using the amps speaker. It seems like this makes a lot of sense and should have been taken into account in the design and manufacture of the plus series. I wonder if the pro plus has it. The Valvetronix amps have a lot of good things going for them.

With the addition of an interface pedal like the Digitech RP350 or its newer equivalent (RP355?), I guess you could get the bi-directional functionality; but then you could use any amp to direct the speaker output to, you wouldn't need a USB amp. The same would be true for the Zoom pedal I guess. My RP350 does a good job of it.

Something that would be nice would be a recording pedal with a huge capacity for using big external memory cards, similar to the capability of the JamMan looper pedals; or something with even more memory. It could be popular and not much more expensive than the JamMan looper. This option would be more portable and allow you to bring a lot to the gig without having to have a laptop or desktop at the gig.

Post Thanks / Like

I review the THR10 on my blog here: http://tidywords.wordpress.com/2012/...lifier-review/

I absolutely love it, it is leagues ahead of any other practice amp I've used and really puts the likes of the Line 6 pod in the shade. The amp models are superb but it also fulfills so many more uses than just an amp (iPod playback, sound card, audio I/O) I'd recommend that anybody looking for any of these things should try it out. I've had mine for a few weeks and still excites me!

Post Thanks / Like

Any further comments on the THR10 now that they've been given some time to warm up to that faux glow?
    I should have one showing up in the mail tomorrow and am anxious to get'r fired up!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my students was talking about this amp too. He says it's incredibly good sounding and flexible, especially at this price level.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

On another forum, a new buyer struggles with acceptable volume adjustments;

"For any of you guys that own one. Do you have to turn the gain up to at least 9 o'clock to get any volume on the clean and crunch models? Also are your brit and modern models way way louder than the other 3? Just picked one up and want to make sure this is normal. On my clean channel with the gtr input on 10, master on 10 and gain half way the volume is pretty low. If I leave these knobs alone and switch to the modern setting the volume is very loud, enough to instantly cause massive feedback. Normal or do I need to return?"

I'm curious about his concerns and hope to both help him and understand the operations better to know what to expect when mine arrives.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had mine for two months now and love it. i guess that the definition of "acceptable volume" would depend on the level of deafness and the size of room you play in.

To try to answer. Yes, Brit and Modern are louder.
    No, the gain doesn't have to be at 9 o clock to get any volume at clean and crunch, it doesn't get really really loud though, the gain is important for those two channels.

The THR amps don't just model the sounds but also the ways the different amps would work. that's why the gain does one thing on one channel and something else on another. On some channels the EQ doesn't do much at all but has a huge impact on others.

I've been meaning to write and record a review but I have so little time

/Hampus

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, we've concluded that all is well and the new owner simply wasn't aware of the facts you mention and made more issue than needed. Thanx, and I'll be looking forward to your user review should you be able to find the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody experiencing this problem? http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho....php?t=1077873

Post Thanks / Like

Mine behaves like that when the batteries are dry. I get several hours out of it though. I use rechargeable batteries of 2100 our 2200 mah. The quality of the batteries make a huge difference.

Skickat från min GT-I9103 via Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

I've owned the Mustang III and my friend has the THR10 and the latter is the more superior recording interface. If you just want a device that sounds larger than it is for playing at home PLUS a really great sounding interface for recording with fantastic effects, then the Yamaha is pretty hard to beat. It sounds fantastic. I plan to order one soon. I have too many hobbies and just shelled out for a new DSLR plus work on my motorcycle else I'd have had it already.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

These don't seem to stay in stock very long. Geez.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

My THR5 sits on my office desk. I can get useable tones immediately. I mainly use it to verify song chord progressions for the band. It comes in really handy when inspiration strikes and i have to record it lest I forget. Its really nice to be able to dial in great tones as I need them. Awesome practise tool.
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

I have the THR10C.....it's the "bluesy" version. Really like it alot. Just plug it in and play. Nice low sound, great amp sims. Yamaha hit a home run with this one. I never use it with batteries though. This is a problem with this amp, it doesn't sound as good without electrical current running through it. Maybe they fixed the problem but it was a long-term issue with this amp. But, it is stellar as a desk-top amp.

Post Thanks / Like

I might have to get one for the nephew's dorm room!
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12