Thread: You Should Have Been There

Post Thanks / Like

Default You Should Have Been There

Tonight, I stopped by my local guitar shop. I wanted to pick up a couple of short (6') speaker cables to use with my bass rig. Anyway, in walks this young kid (couldn't have been any older than 16) with an old silvery gray looking guitar case. He says he wants to sell the guitar. Well, he opens it up, and out comes an old Fender Mustang. It was blue in color. It had its share of nicks and dings, but for an instrument that was made back in '66 or '67 (according to the serial number) it was pretty sweet. It still even had its original trem arm. The tuners were the original plastic knobbed Kluson's.

The kid did not know what he had, he just knew that it wasn't what he wanted. I didn't wait around to see what they offered him (they are pretty fair) or even if they bought it, but myself and one other guy did advise him to take it back home, tuck it nicely under the bed, and wait for another twenty years to bring it out again!

If I didn't have any scrupples, I probably could have had the thing for $100. It's been a while since I held a Fender guitar with a six-digit serial number!
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

Well you could have been a good Joe and said give me the Mustang and pick out your favorite pointy guitar its on me. You still would most likely come out ahead.
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie