Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopping for a new tube amp! OPINIONS?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shopping for a new tube amp! OPINIONS?

Ok fretters. I have decided it is time to move to a new amp. Parameters: All tube, preferably less than 30 watts, would prefer reverb built in, and under $500. Suggestions are welcome. I am looking for that warm bluesey sound like a blues deluxe gives but without all the eardrum popping, glass breaking and cop calling that comes with it. I do like the Blues Jr but wanted to try out some other options before I just get that and have a letdown a month from now when i hear something sweeter (and less costly)! Sound off fretters!

Post Thanks / Like

Combo or head?

Post Thanks / Like

Something from Blackstar?

Post Thanks / Like

Strong suggestion - Bugera v22. This thing is eff'in amazing. It'll fit all your parameters, too. Seriously. I'm right on this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    Strong suggestion - Bugera v22. This thing is eff'in amazing. It'll fit all your parameters, too. Seriously. I'm right on this one.
    Good choice. Everything I thought of was $600+.
    The V22 I played sounded like a much costlier amp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    A week or so ago Hello Music had 'em on sale for $299 if I recall correctly. I've never heard one.
    I did have an NOS Blues Jr a few years ago and that amp sounded great

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, my Bugie V22 is amazing. And after installation of a new Weber Signature Alnico
    and re-tubing it with all JJ's.....it's even better.

Post Thanks / Like

A used Peavey Classic 30 can be had for about 350.

Post Thanks / Like

As I always will say, at any price it's hard to beat a '90s era Crate - Vintage Club 30. Especially the 2x12, maybe the ultimate sleeper amp(h). They get no luv (but by me) and thus you can get them dirt cheap with $$$ left over from your $500 budget to buy more stuff or fix/upgrade the innards, as they can have minor internal maladies from the production line. But they cover so much ground so well, it's worth every penny to get one running in top shape. The only thing they won't do is severe metal, and any pedal remedies that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guitarhack View Post
    +1. That's the one I thought of first for warm bluesy tone.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Thanks y'all. Thats a great start for me to begin my "research project"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    +1. That's the one I thought of first for warm bluesy tone.
    Great amph, but loud as hell. I sold mine because I never got to turn it up and it didn't have enough bottom end if played at a lower volume. I did keep the Delta with a 15" speaker. It's essentially the same amph chassis. It will produce a nice low end without being overly loud...but if you need to get real loud the Delta cranks too.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guitarhack View Post
    I agree...I got lucky and just picked up a very recent like new one for $300...but generally they go for around $350. Great amps and one of the few where i think the newer model is better than the older model, comes stock with JJ tubes and the tube protector and still sounds great.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been playing the Bugera V22 for a couple of years now and am very happy with it. It does have a pentode/triode switch that will allow lower power output. It's 22 watts and sounds great to me. No flab, smooth and tight. IT's a digital reverb that sounds good to me, but usually I get all my reverb, delay, distortion from an M13.

It's certainly the best $300 ish combo amp I've owned or played.

Post Thanks / Like

Could always check out the Jet City JCA2112RC. I like my JCA20H a lot.

http://www.jetcityamplification.com/.../24/jca2112rc/
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

Musician's Friend has the Jet City for $299 today as their Stupid Deal. They've also got a deal today where you get 15% off anything over $199. Not sure if they'd give you both, but if they would, that'd bring it down to $254 which would be a steal. Make sure to use the MF link at the top of the page.

Thanks to Spudman for the tip in the SDotD thread.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

$254 makes that a no brainer...for people that need on. I actually get to exclude myself on this on, yet I'm still pretty tempted.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, first off, Thank you for all your input. I took all your suggestions and went on a number of trips to my local shops to try them out. The classic 30 was just a bit too much amp for my needs, couldnt get the tone out of it until i had the volume to aboyt 7 which was just too loud. If i ever start gigging again that is my amp tho. The bugera v22 sounded great, i especially like the fact i could drop the wattage in half. The footswitch looked like it was made from paper mache tho. I was impressed by the jet city as far as price but it sounded a bit too metal for my taste. I also tried a peavey windsor studio, great amp and if I could have gotten a better deal I would have jumped on it. In the end, I bought a green board blues junior. Got it for $300 even with a greenback celestion already installed. I dropped it off at my amp guy for a tuneup and he recommended a rebias mod to lengthen the tube life. I should get it back sometime next week and my kids will be orphaned for awhile till the GAS wears off! Thanks again fretters, much obliged.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you made a good choice. Let us know what you think when you've gotten a chance to play it a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast