Thread: Amped again. N(VOX)AD

Post Thanks / Like

Default Amped again. N(VOX)AD

I finally got back to electric guitar land. After auditioning a VOX VT40+ against a Roland Cube 40XL, the VOX won. I've finally figured out how all the volume stages work on these amps. Master down, power level up = cleaner, reverse to drive that little valve power amp

Now, can anyone tell me how to stop using the glorious Fender Pro Amp model (California Clean/green) and try the other 32 flavours?
    Last edited by markb; February 22nd, 2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Wrong way round!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, cool deal. That's quite the endorsement, coming from a Cube-aholic like yourself.

Do you still have all of your guitars or did some of them not make the trip?

On a (very tangentially) related note, I saw a t-shirt once that said "I'm like a chocoholic, but for booze." I've since looked for any opportunity to re-use that line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Eric. The VOX had a bit more going for it in the usefulness department. And the footswitch only costs about 40 pounds here. Enough switches to make the Cube workable for live use would have added a lot to the cost. As for guitars, I have my old workhorses, the strat' in my avatar and my J45. I just put everything up for sale and let the market sort it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb View Post
    I've finally figured out how all the volume stages work on these amps. Master down, power level up = cleaner, reverse to drive that little valve power amp
    Hi Mark - that's interesting - by 'power' do you mean the attenuator on the back? Is the tube stage in these new vox's in the power section? I think that in mine (AD30VT) it's in the preamp section.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

HNAD!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

HNAD! That VT40+ is a nice amp. I just bought a NOS VT30 "Chromie", the predecessor to the plus series. I think they share a lot of the same design ideas. The tube is in the power section, where Valvetronics experts have been claiming it actually should have been all the time. But it is not a power section like a real tube amp. It is still a hybrid, including the power section.

I'm sure you are enjoying that amp. I really enjoy using mine and it responds to the guitar very well. You don't loose the tone knobs on the guitar like you do on so many digital pedals and multi effects processors. And the pick response is very excellent. My VT30 is a big step up from my Vox DA5.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had the 30 chrome grille too...liked it quite a lot for anything except very marshall-style sounds...which I tend to use the most. Swapped the speaker for a celestion from a Marshall combo and then it was very nice for my taste indeed, although the clean modes probably suffered some, at least I think many would think so.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.