Thread: Strumming

Post Thanks / Like

Default Strumming

Does anyone have any tips when strumming? I have trouble struming only certain strings. Like in Nirvana's smells like teen spirit at one part you only strum strings A, D, G. But I keep hitting Low E too. Also at another part I am only supposed to strum E, A, D, but i keep hitting G too.

Post Thanks / Like

That's not unusual. Work on muting techniques. If you've got those strings muted, they won't sound. If you hear anything it will be a percussive sound that will sound cool anyway.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It just comes with practice. Lot's of practice. I struggle with those issues as well. Just keep practicing, you will develop better picking accuracy. You recognize it is an issue, but don't fixate on it. Just play, play, play.

Post Thanks / Like

Thx.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64 View Post
    It just comes with practice. Lot's of practice. I struggle with those issues as well. Just keep practicing, you will develop better picking accuracy. You recognize it is an issue, but don't fixate on it. Just play, play, play.
    Yup! "There is no royal road to learning" as some Greek said.

Post Thanks / Like

You can wrap your thumb around, deaden it with your middle finger or try nudging it with your index. I do a mix of 1 and 3 depending on what my hands do. It alllllllllllll takes time though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thx.
    Markb, u talking about Euclid because he said " There is no royal road to geometry"

Post Thanks / Like

I find my strumming to be more precise when I play without a pick. It's much simpler and more efficient when it comes to just hitting specific strings. As Hubert Sumlin said, "I don’t need a pick because I got five fingers. How can one pick compete?" He seemed to know what he was doing so I try to make it work for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    I find my strumming to be more precise when I play without a pick. It's much simpler and more efficient when it comes to just hitting specific strings. As Hubert Sumlin said, "I don’t need a pick because I got five fingers. How can one pick compete?" He seemed to know what he was doing so I try to make it work for me.
    I come from a bass playing background where I only used my fingers. Since taking up the guitar I also find I strum much better without a pick, I'm much more accurate and rhythmic using my index finger curled as if I'm holding a pick. Lead lines are a nightmare with a finger though! I can't place why but as soon as I use a pick to strum my accuracy goes out the window.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plymman View Post
    I come from a bass playing background where I only used my fingers. Since taking up the guitar I also find I strum much better without a pick, I'm much more accurate and rhythmic using my index finger curled as if I'm holding a pick. Lead lines are a nightmare with a finger though! I can't place why but as soon as I use a pick to strum my accuracy goes out the window.
    Yeah, I mostly still use a pick if I'm playing primarily lead, but when it's rhythm or a combo I mostly stick to my fingers. Ironically, when I play bass, I think I play more smoothly with a pick then I do without one. It's odd, but it's true.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure I would probably still play bass better with a pick but I just don't get on with the sound. I love my bass to have that woody thump that I just can't seem to get with a pick.

I keep thinking I need to learn how to play guitar with a pick but I feel a bit better about it now I know I'm not the only one that finger strums.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plymman View Post
    I'm sure I would probably still play bass better with a pick but I just don't get on with the sound. I love my bass to have that woody thump that I just can't seem to get with a pick.
    I'd much prefer to be able to play bass without a pick. The sound is ok for rock stuff, but when I play bass it's mostly because I want to play funk and the tone with a pick is lacking that oomph that I want on the One.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    My picking evolution has come a long way. I rarely use a pick now, enjoying finger style and my own unorthodox finger picking.

Post Thanks / Like

Thx for the replies, I have been practicing and it has been getting easier to just pluck certain strings.

http://freepremiumcodes.com/?ref=9226

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    My picking evolution has come a long way. I rarely use a pick now, enjoying finger style and my own unorthodox finger picking.
    I'm still brutally bad at any kind of established finger-picking style, but I've begun to develop my own thing which is slowly but surely becoming more comfortable and producing pleasant tone results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here's a useful picking lesson from Pebber Brown