Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Hi from a new Taylor owner

Thread: Hi from a new Taylor owner

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi from a new Taylor owner

Hi, all. I recently added a 310ce to my only other guitar, an Epiphone PR325S that I have been abusing (both physically and musically) the past 20 years. Now I am learning how to play a 'good' guitar, and man, what a difference a good 'player' makes. The 310 is just musical all by itself, and it seems to draw the music out of me like the Epi never did.

I am also on a mission to restore the PR325S, and am waiting for new gears to arrive, so I can put new strings on, having done all I can do with the laminate surface of the body, neck and head stock.

Not having been in a music store for ages, I was surprised at how good instruments are these days, even the less expensive models. This, I can see, can only lead to trouble going forward - for my bank account and in it's claims on my free time.

I have been reading with interest the various posts in this and other forums. Sure like looking at all the nice axes, and listening to some of the mp3's others have uploaded. There are many talented players here. I hope to learn all I can while here, while contributing when I think I could add something to the discussion.

My musical tastes run electic, and if I had to give a short list of musical interests at the moment, I would say Gram Parsons, Pink Floyd, the Decemberists, and Doomtree.

I don't have any amps as yet, though thinking about a cheap acoustic amp. I have also thought about using my hifi amp (a tubed, 60 watt job) as some kind of amp, though I'd prolly need to consider the impedence of the output from the guitar before running it in.

Terry from Southern California

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Fret!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome to The Fret!

Yes, there are so many really good guitars and amps in the sub $400 range to choose from, it can make for a difficult choice. Dig around here and ask questions when you are trying to figure out what to buy next. Be warned: We are enablers, so hanging around here is like holding an AA meeting at a bar.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

LOL Tig - that's a perfect way to describe you guys... "enablers"

Oh yeah, Rockinghorse, we like eyecandy. So post gear pics often!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome. I have a 310ce too. I hope you enjoy yours.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Terry, welcome aboard!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, all!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Fret. And congrats on the new Taylor. I have a 315...love it!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Glacies, I will take you up on your suggestion. I got through with the PR325 project today. Put on new (generic, off Amazon) tuning pegs, a set of Martin SP lights, and cleaned and polished it up as well as I could (It's 20 years old, and never saw the inside of a case). FWIW, here is the guitar in it's current state. Been playing it, and it plays really well, so I'm very pleased.

Terry

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to The Fret!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been looking for this article, and today, finally found the, you share it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi I am new to forums but have been playing guitar for a couple years now. I have a Martin which is in great shape although it is a 2004 and I got it used! I also have a fender squire and a couple other beaters. I'm glad to be apart of the guitar community now!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Terry! Welcome! Glad to hear about your new Taylor and your old Epi. I bet it is cool! Have fun!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Glacies View Post
    LOL Tig - that's a perfect way to describe you guys... "enablers"

Oh yeah, Rockinghorse, we like eyecandy. So post gear pics often!

Hey, what do you mean "you guys". I seem to remember seeing you around here for a while now.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson