Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Another NA(&FX)D - VHT and Zoom content.

Thread: Another NA(&FX)D - VHT and Zoom content.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another NA(&FX)D - VHT and Zoom content.

Despite all the things I've said about low wattage valve amps in the past I've finally found a new one I like (I can't afford old amps ). A VHT Special 6 combo arrived today and it's just what I expected, basically a blackface Champ with a 1/2 power switch and a boost. They even included the foot switch .

The fx bit is a Zoom G3

Thoughts so far on the VHT.

1. It's pretty clean as loud as I can get it at home on the high power setting. The clean tone is pure Fender and very nice.

2. The low power setting is a bit dark even with a strat' but it's OK for home use by turning the tone control all the way up.

3. The boost gives a hefty volume jump but not a lot more gain.

4. It's heavy as. I suspect big transformers are responsible because the speaker's certainly not that chunky.

5. It works nicely with the drives in the G3 (phew).

The G3 is so far, so good. Easy editing with knobs and a 3 stompbox layout. Push buttons to select effects, twist knobs to set parameters. Add amp modelling, drums, a 40 second looper and two way USB connection and it's going to take a bit more time than the Special 6 to find the pros and cons.

Testing continues...

Post Thanks / Like

NICE! Those VHTs sure look like cool little amphs. Fender like cleans? Now you have my attention!

Post a pic!

Post Thanks / Like

NICE! Those VHTs sure look like cool little amphs. Fender like cleans? Now you have my attention!

Post a pic!

Damn. That does sound all Fendery ! Thanks for the GAS.

Post Thanks / Like

They're cheap 125 pounds I'm sticking to the BF Champ theory. A bigger speaker though. I've revised my opinion on the 1/2 power sound. It's not dark, just a bit muffled. OK for late night use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markb View Post
    They're cheap 125 pounds I'm sticking to the BF Champ theory. A bigger speaker though. I've revised my opinion on the 1/2 power sound. It's not dark, just a bit muffled. OK for late night use.
    Cool, at that price you could have two and use your Zoom effects in stereo.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb View Post
    £125.... sounds like a good price Mark, never heard of the amp before but sounds good from the demo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    Cool, at that price you could have two and use your Zoom effects in stereo.
    With 70s Vibrochamps going for up to 400 pounds in the UK, you could buy three and a Joyo tremolo pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I finally took the back off the Special 6. No wonder it's so heavy for a small amp. Excuse the crappy smartphone pic.

Little amp, BIG iron by Mark Bowerman, on Flickr