Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Smooth bridge pickup?

Thread: Smooth bridge pickup?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smooth bridge pickup?

Hey guys, I currently have the Dimarzio VV Solo Pro in the bridge position of my strat and its not as smooth as I expected (it still have those annoying bridge pickup highs). I want an Eric Johnson like sound, I know he uses the HS-2 but I'm curious if anyone knows any other good pickup that sounds smooth in the bridge position (ofcourse I realize this also depends on other things, the HS-2 will probably also sound twangy in the bridge position without the Plexi).

Post Thanks / Like

Experiment with the pickup height if you haven't. That could change everything. Start with it low maybe flush to the pickguard, play it, listen, then raise each side 1 complete screw turn only, play some more and listen.

New pickups these days are pretty versatile and in some cases on a few of my guitars I have found that lowering my pups was the secret to better sound.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I already tried that, I just want to get rid of the twangy sound and get a smoother fatter sound, I might try the VV Solo or the Heavy Blues 2.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want fat in a Strat single coil then FS3 or Tone Zone, or JB or Hot Rail.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a JB humbucker in my Ibanez and I dislike it, I want something smooth, somewhat transparent but not thin sounding and without fuzzy bass that alot of pickups have, also without the twang, also somewhat vintage sounding.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you should go with a vintage humbucker, like a Duncan '59 or Seth Lover.

Or maybe you should just play from the neck p'up!!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cranium
    I have a JB humbucker in my Ibanez and I dislike it, I want something smooth, somewhat transparent but not thin sounding and without fuzzy bass that alot of pickups have, also without the twang, also somewhat vintage sounding.
    59 should do it. If you don't like it you'll have no problems getting most of your money back out of it if not all of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I always play the neck pickup, that is why I'm searching for a smooth, not twangy or thin bridge pickup. I was actualy looking for a single coil but since I'm not satisfied with the my bridge humbucker in my Ibanez either, I will look into the 59' and Seth Lover HB's.

DVM if you know of any single coil pickup that sound like I described, please let me know. Like I said before, I'm looking for an Eric Johnson like sound from my bridge pickup.

Post Thanks / Like

Visit the Seymour Duncan website and read the ton of suggestions there. Use "search" to find posts related to smooth, warm and jazz tone questions. There are a few guys who will even help you if you post the question.

Go here; http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/index.php?s=

I put the SD "Cool Rails" in my Strat and got a real smooth tone.

God luck with your search.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Cranium, is your bridge pickup connected to a tone pot? I know that to get his sound Eric Johnson turns the tone down - maybe that's why you're not getting his sound.

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea Tinky, I will try that (now just got to figure out which wire to rewire .

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you MUST roll the tone off a bridge pup. This helps a lot. Also, you may love that sweet neck pup sound at home, but sometimes it gets lost when you play with other people.

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean "lost"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cranium
    What do you mean "lost"?

Its just harder to be heard, you blend in with the bass and stuff. At least thats what happens with me sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moshe
    Its just harder to be heard, you blend in with the bass and stuff. At least thats what happens with me sometimes.
    That's something I'm learning a lot about lately. What sounds "capital A" Awesome when you're noodling around at home just doesn't have the same punch at practice or a gig. Each instrument needs to be EQ'd to have enough separation in the mix so everything "sits" where it needs to. The total effect being greater than the sum of its parts.

But isolate the guitar and the mids sound like nails on a chalkboard. Takes a practiced ear to do a good mix.

Mine, er... not so practiced
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5