Thread: Back To The 80s Musical

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Back To The 80s Musical

So I've been utterly busy rehearsing and performing with a band for a musical here in Camrose. It was a lot of fun!

The musical is called Back To The 80s - http://www.backtothe80smusical.com

We played 6 shows at the Bailey Theatre in Camrose. I used a Line 6 HD300 for all the guitar tones and it worked well. We had to keep sound levels very low, and all monitoring was via ear buds.

It was certainly a much trickier job to play in this band than the bands I usually play with! Lots of music to read and memorize, but also be alert on cues and what the actors are doing, etc.

It was a great experience I can recommend wholeheartedly.

I may be able to post some pics... not sure about video. I lent out my camcorder gear to the production crew, but there are major copyright issues with publishing any of this, so I probably can't do that.

I had fun playing You Give Love A Bad Name! Big solo in that one and Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now ...

-----

From the era that brought the world The Rubik's Cube, Max Headroom and The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comes this "totally awesome" musical in the style of movies such as Back To The Future, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Karate Kid and The Wedding Singer.

Join the graduating class of William Ocean High School as they live through their final senior year - as they experience the fun, the heartbreak, the loves and the loneliness of growing up.... all set to the biggest hits of the 80's!!

Set in the USA, Back To The 80's tells the story of the senior class of William Ocean High School that graduated in the 1980's, as remembered and seen through the eyes of Corey Palmer, who is now 30-something.

Corey & TiffanyThe then 17-year-old Corey is madly in love with his next-door neighbour, Tiffany Houston, one of the coolest girls in the school. However, she barely notices this, as she is too busy mooning over Michael Feldman, the hottest guy around. Michael and his friends are athletic and good-looking - the kind of guys that Corey and his two best friends dream of being. However, while they may not be the coolest guys in school, they are still one up on Feargal McFerrin III, whose best friend is his computer, and who believes the crazy notion that one day CD's will replace cassette tapes.

The year commences with Class President Elections: Michael steals Corey's election speech, and when he uses his ideas and promises the girls a kiss for a vote, he becomes President, with Tiffany as his Vice-President. Corey is left looking on despairingly.

During the year, several new students arrive at the school - Mel and Kim Easton (the all-singing, all-dancing twin cheerleaders) and Eileen Reagan, whose life becomes a nightmare when Michael and his gang start to send her fake love letters.

Will Eileen ever make new friends at William Ocean High School?

Will Tiffany ever see the evil side of Michael?

Meanwhile the teachers are having issues of their own. Mr Cocker, after being in a relationship for two years with the apparently conservative English teacher, Miss Sheena Brannigan, confiscates an old edition of Penthouse from a student, only to discover that his girlfriend is the centerfold. How will he cope? Will their relationship be able to survive this hurdle?

Throw in a Star Wars dream sequence, high-energy dance routines, the obligatory 80's party scene, copious amounts of blue eye-shadow, twenty cans of hairspray, as well as some of the most popular songs ever written, and the result is a musical that will not only delight and amuse an audience of any age, but will also inspire any young cast.

Eileen Feargal Will Corey finally get the girl of his dreams?

Will the Prom night be a success?

Will Feargal McFerrin III ever get a date?

To find out all these answers and many more...all you have to do is take a journey...
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like that would be a riot--and a lot of work. I'd be interested to hear anything you can post.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

I will have some audio to post at least, I think...

The actors were kids 12 - 18, so the singing is not that spectacular... but still pretty good for being kids. I was really impressed by their accomplishment. I mean, I had enough to think about just figuring out the cues so I could start playing at the right spot! The actors, they have to sing songs, remember their lines, where to walk, how to look, when to do what, etc - what an incredible job they did!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of remember the 80s. I'm glad you had fun doing it. To me it certainly would be a challenge to work like that..especially without beer glasses clinking and drunks yelling.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Just check out the song list! I even got to play "Never Gonna Give You Up"! My dream come true!

http://www.backtothe80smusical.com/theShow_musicUSc.php

I always liked Video Killed The Radio Star. Great tune.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Just check out the song list! I even got to play "Never Gonna Give You Up"! My dream come true!
    You Rick Rolled yourself without actually being Rick Rolled! How terribly meta of you.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm, needs more Clash, Elvis Costello, early U2, Stray Cats, and such like that, but still looks like a lot of fun!

Oh, and a Men at Work song, and probably one from this guy!:

I could go on. I really had fun in the 80s. Glad you are involved in such a fun project!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson