Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Voodoo Child (Hendrix) Tribute Guitar
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voodoo Child (Hendrix) Tribute Guitar

Post Thanks / Like

Default Voodoo Child (Hendrix) Tribute Guitar

A strat to my specs is being built by Stephen Casper (Casper Guitar Technologies), the second guitar this guy is building me (I have 12 guitars and I ALWAYS use his... the others hang on my wall as decoration, lol). The body was sent to a carver (see photo), Mark 'Gig' Goldstein, who also carved me the Alien guitar I posted on here a few months back. The neck will have HENDRIX inlayed into the fretboard, with some happenings on the headstock. A guitar case is being customized by www.ScottOuderkirk.com and the strap by Double Treble. I'll post more pics as things develop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Johnston View Post
    A strat to my specs is being built by Stephen Casper (Casper Guitar Technologies), the second guitar this guy is building me (I have 12 guitars and I ALWAYS use his... the others hang on my wall as decoration, lol). The body was sent to a carver (see photo), Mark 'Gig' Goldstein, who also carved me the Alien guitar I posted on here a few months back. The neck will have HENDRIX inlayed into the fretboard, with some happenings on the headstock. A guitar case is being customized by www.ScottOuderkirk.com and the strap by Double Treble. I'll post more pics as things develop.

Wow Brian that looks awesome, lets hope the Jimi Hendrix inc dont sue you for copyright !!!! lol

Post Thanks / Like

What a cool idea. I think the carved figure looks more like Lionel Richie but the whole concept is killer and I'd love to see this completed. Please update.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, wow - WICKED!

I can't wait to see the final product!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't sue me... it's a one-of-a-kind for my private collection.... it's not being sold to anyone and will not be mass produced. And if Janie Hendrix wants to come to Canada to sue me, she's more than welcomed.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't sue me... it's a one-of-a-kind for my private collection.... it's not being sold to anyone and will not be mass produced. And if Janie Hendrix wants to come to Canada to sue me, she's more than welcomed.
    Just tell her it's one of the Jackson brothers, Jimi Jackson. She'll never know.

Cool guitar bro.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Shouldn't it be inverted, otherwise when you play it Jimi style he'll be standing on his head!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Brian, where are you located?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Sudbury, Ontario

Post Thanks / Like

The body painted:

Post Thanks / Like

Damn cool!

Post Thanks / Like

A case done for me by www.ScottOuderkirk.com:

Post Thanks / Like

Sudbury, Ontario
    I used to have a cottage on an island in the French River, just a bit south of Sudbury. Boy do I miss it ~

Very cool project

Post Thanks / Like

Nick at Double Treble (a huge Hendrix fan) developed this matching strap:

Post Thanks / Like

The neck inlays are in:

Post Thanks / Like

The body painted:

Sorry Brian

Think it looks better without the paint, better off all in white or just varnished.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say, not crazee 'bout d strap. Looks kinda 'Hanna Montana-ish' to me- like when a commercial co. is trying to make a 'peace and love' item but it doesn't come off. Just my opinion, but after all this work, I would've liked to see a strap decorated w/Jimi's own artwork, like they did on the Monterey Pop strat, have THAT artwork on the strap- or use a real embroidered strap from the era- I forget...oh yeah, like the Ace straps. Thar said, I DO really Like the way they did the f'board inlays top to bottom, so however the guitar is played, lefty or righty, it doesn't look 'upside-down'! That was a smart touch. And the case too- you really went 'all out', huh??? I only wish that JH got into some actual LH axes during his career. I know he HAD some, from time to time, and was given gifts of lefties, but just couldn't cotton to them! That way I could have something to emulate that I could actually PLAY, TOO! (Even though the first ones I tried to play were always righties turned upside-down). -Al

Post Thanks / Like

That's a LOT of work! Think the likeness is a bit better here. It's damn HARD enough to draw a person's likeness to look real- much less to CARVE a likeness of someone in WOOD! The carver's obviously very skilled & talented. The lettering looks GREAT- I might've just continued that theme on the whole body- the kindof trippy 'Are You Experienced' theme and then just thrown in little hints from other album art, to let you know it was a tribute- then you have the f'board inlays. If I was going to put in a likeness, I would've taken a small, very simple black & white 'profile' image, and put it on the back of headstock, rather that to try to get a photo-match of his face in wood. Also, someone else mentioned that someone might want to play it Jimi-style, ie, lefty or upside-down. Of course, if it's just for your own use, I guess it doesn't matter that much. I do have the first US-made 'reverse-image' Fender JH Tribute- the famed 'lefty-made-to-be-played-righty'. Of course, I restrung it so I could play it 'correct-lefty'. No one can fault your ambition, that's for sure. Do you have other JH memorabilia or axes, or is this your first attempt at something like this? PS: I'd love to see the Alien again- I think I missed that!

Post Thanks / Like

There's a definite coolness and uniqueness to this guitar but, and don't take this personally now, it's becoming ostentatious. I really don't like that strap and the case is too busy and, again, the face doesn't look like Jimi. Anyway, I would proudly display this on a wall or in a collection but I'd need much bigger balls than I possess to rock this out in public.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast