Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No respect

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Back to NWB's point, I do agree that most non-musicians probably couldn't name many people from the rhythm section of the bands they listen to, unless the bassist is also the singer. Doesn't mean the bass n' drums aren't important, but that's kind of how it is. Come to think of it, I'm not sure there are that many non-singing guitarists who the general public would know. Certainly more than the number of bassists and drummers, but there are probably plenty of people who don't know anybody other than the singer.

I'd say that for most people (general population -- music nuts and musicians aside), ability to recognize/know the name of a member of a band probably goes like this:

75% singer
    20% guitarist
    3% bassist
    2% drummer

That is to say that if they were to name a member of a band, the likelihood it would be a given role in the band is based on the percentages. I've never really thought about this before, but it's an interesting thing to think about.
    Yeah Eric, that seems about right.

However, as a bass player, none of that actually bothers me in the least. I'm fine with no recognition in that regard.

What actually ticks me off are the few guitarists that look down on bass players. While most guitarists really appreciate what I bring to the table, I've encountered a few that say "just play the roots this way (or something similar)" or try to bury me with volume. One guy actually reached over and turned my amp down to an inaudible level. Fortunately, he escaped with his hand intact, but I immediately packed up and never played with him again.

Post Thanks / Like

As a non-musician, and to test Eric's theory, some bands with the first person that comes to mind:

The Who - Pete Townsend - Guitar
    The Doors - Jim Morrison - Singer
    Led Zeppelin - Jimmy Page - Guitar
    Cream - Eric Clapton - Singer and Guitar

Those are all bands that I can name all the people. Now for some bands that I don't know all of the individuals (and some spellings my be wrong, this is off the top of my head):

Metallica - Kirk Hammet - don't know what he plays
    The Guess Who - Burton Cummings - Singer
    Joy Division - Ian Curtis - Singer
    The Sex Pistols - Johnny Rotton - Singer
    Jefferson Airplane - Grace Slick - Singer
    AC/DC - Bon Scott - Singer
    Aerosmith - Steven Tyler - Singer
    Black Sabbath - Tommi Iomi - Guitar
    Styx - Tommy Shaw - Guitar

Not a bassist or drummer in the bunch. Now I know a few, but they aren't the first ones that come to mind.

Post Thanks / Like

When I played bass, I used to just roll my eyes when a guitarist would bust out one of those jokes with a look on his face like he must be the cleverest person alive now that Oscar Wilde is dead. Granted, my experience isn't as widespread as many of you, but I never found another bassist or a drummer that got me really irritated. I found plenty of guitarists that I wanted to give a Peavey Fury to the base of the skull. Mostly it was because of (largely unfounded) arrogance. Yeah, you can play a lot of notes. How about playing in time, Chester? That'd be nice. Actually, the most talented guitarists I've ever met are guys that were incredibly humble and wouldn't say so much as a word.

I found that as a bassist I had to "translate" between the drummer and the guitarist. Even though I can't play drums to save my life, I could get a rhythmic point across to drummers. I remember clapping out the beat for "Back in Black" and singing the guitar riff so that a guitarist could figure it out.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    When I played bass, I used to just roll my eyes when a guitarist would bust out one of those jokes with a look on his face like he must be the cleverest person alive now that Oscar Wilde is dead. Granted, my experience isn't as widespread as many of you, but I never found another bassist or a drummer that got me really irritated. I found plenty of guitarists that I wanted to give a Peavey Fury to the base of the skull. Mostly it was because of (largely unfounded) arrogance. Yeah, you can play a lot of notes. How about playing in time, Chester? That'd be nice. Actually, the most talented guitarists I've ever met are guys that were incredibly humble and wouldn't say so much as a word.

I found that as a bassist I had to "translate" between the drummer and the guitarist. Even though I can't play drums to save my life, I could get a rhythmic point across to drummers. I remember clapping out the beat for "Back in Black" and singing the guitar riff so that a guitarist could figure it out.
    I think that while this post doesn't necessarily explain the 'why' of band dynamics, it is a pretty good paraphrasal of the typical complaints and roles that band members have. Although I guess you'd also have to include the singer in there somewhere.

Thing is, I think guitarists can be that way because they're the stars when it comes to rock music, at least as far as the musicians go. I personally think I'd probably be a better bassist than guitar player because I'm not flashy, my best strength as a musician in my timing, and I always try to get the band to stay tight. That said, I do always listen for the guitar in bands. From the bass players I've known, they're mostly interested in bass-first music and always have been. Seems to just be a mindset thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon View Post
    What the hell is a 'beat friend?' Oh wait, maybe I don't want to know All you guys are forgetting about the coolest bassist of all times, Kip Winger!
    Kip is amazing, but don't forget John Wetton.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

From the bass players I've known, they're mostly interested in bass-first music and always have been. Seems to just be a mindset thing.
    I can only speak for myself, but as a bass player I always liked playing whatever. I played in a "1-5" bluegrass band and had a blast. The simplicity of the bass line meant I was free to wander the stage and be entertaining/a nuisance. I don't own a single bluegrass album and I doubt I ever will. Blues is the same way. Getcher "Big Book O' Blues Bass Lines" and let 'er rip. I'm far more of a snob when it comes to guitar music than I am bass music. That's probably because guitar (especially lead) is much harder for me. If I'm going to make that investment of time, I'd better freaking love the material.

While we're mentioning famous bassists, we can't forget my man Louis Johnson or Yes' Chris Squire. Or Rudy Sarzo and John Deacon (my two main rock bass influences). Or Billy Sheehan. I never set out to play like Billy, but I could always point to him as "proof" that it was OK for bassists to venture higher than the seventh fret.

Now I wanna play me some bass.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

From the bass players I've known, they're mostly interested in bass-first music and always have been. Seems to just be a mindset thing.
    FWIW, I really enjoy listening to good guitar work. However, I love the sound of electric bass which is why I play it and therefore listen to a lot of bass-first music.

If I can get both stellar bass and guitar, then I'm really in heaven. It's unfortunate that one is often times at the expense of the other though.

Also, no great bass player listings from me. I need time to eat, sleep, work, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    Dee, you're right that those are famous bassists among musicians. The public only recognize the ones that sing though, except maybe Flea and possibly Bootsy because they're so outlandish.

IMO, one of the greatest bass players ever, Victor Wooten, is practically unknown outside music circles.

But for drummers? I guess a lot know Neil Peart or Gene Kruppa. Come to think of it, I suppose it's even worse for respect for drummers.
    Sorry but i had to google Neil and Gene, but everyone know's Ringo !

Post Thanks / Like

Also, no great bass player listings from me. I need time to eat, sleep, work, etc.
    Huh? Not sure I understand what you were trying to say here.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Exceptional Bass player has to be Steve Harris, founding member of Iron Maiden. Some of his work is outstanding.

Generally I think a lot comes down to personality. Many bass players are less arrogant, possibly less selfish?? If they wern't, they'd pick up lead and head for the spotlight.

Also, I find it amusing the is no mention of rhythm guitarists. It's like they're even more forgotten about.

Post Thanks / Like

Huh? Not sure I understand what you were trying to say here.
    What I mean is that if I start listing favorite bass players, I'd have no time left for anything else. I'd be here typing and typing and....

Post Thanks / Like

Willie Dixon from the old blues days and Johnny B. Gayden who seemingly played on everybody's CDs in the80's on up. He was Albert Collins' touring bassist and he laid it down nice and fat for Albert to riff over the top.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Photomike666 View Post
    Also, I find it amusing the is no mention of rhythm guitarists. It's like they're even more forgotten about.
    Oh boy is that true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Photomike666 View Post
    Exceptional Bass player has to be Steve Harris, founding member of Iron Maiden. Some of his work is outstanding.

Generally I think a lot comes down to personality. Many bass players are less arrogant, possibly less selfish?? If they wern't, they'd pick up lead and head for the spotlight.

naah they just failed at guitar....runs for cover... ;-)

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    Nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have great trust in people's sense of humor ;-)
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Eric, that seems about right.

However, as a bass player, none of that actually bothers me in the least. I'm fine with no recognition in that regard.

What actually ticks me off are the few guitarists that look down on bass players. While most guitarists really appreciate what I bring to the table, I've encountered a few that say "just play the roots this way (or something similar)" or try to bury me with volume. One guy actually reached over and turned my amp down to an inaudible level. Fortunately, he escaped with his hand intact, but I immediately packed up and never played with him again.
    Holy shit, I'd be PISSED.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by omegadot View Post
    Holy shit, I'd be PISSED.
    Yeah, I was quite pissed. Not worth an assault charge though.

Told them that since they don't want to hear any bass, then they obviously don't need a bass player.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast