Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm through with guitars

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm through with guitars

I'm afraid the day has come that I put up the guitar. Haven't played in weeks and no desire to play anymore. I sold one of my three guitars and got my MFX pedal (GT-10) on craigslist. Thinking about rounding up the extra stuff and put 'em on craigslist. I'm getting old, tired and losing memory as I forgot a lot of songs but I still remember my four songs. Weird.

Still I can't part with my Carvin DC127 and my Handsome Devil half stack, also my Adrenalinn III. The rest can go. Maybe one day, who knows.

I could list the stuff for sale here but I don't have Paypal nor do I care to.

I'm more interested in guns and joined several gun forums but I'll still hang around on guitar forums. Sold my Keltec PF9 and got a Sigma 9. Now I'm trying for a Sigma 40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, hopefully you'll find the desire again. I think it is good you are hanging on to your Carvin and your half-stack. That isn't a bad setup just on its own right there. If the other stuff sells, you'll still have something to play when the mood strikes you again.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Interests change, there is nothing wrong with that; especially if your new hobby involves guns. ;-) I hope you keep something around just in case the moment strikes and you want to pick up the guitar again. Open a thread here about your gun stories, I'd love to hear about them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've sold basically all my guitars and music gear save for some recording tools twice in my life, only to start again after a year or two.

If I ever do that again, I may not start anew. So I persevere.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I've wondered about this before. Things we deem so important at one point or that dominate our thoughts and hobby time (if it is indeed a hobby and not a job), are they really as critical as we think they are? Probably not. Kind of like deeaa said, you persevere and it's usually kind of enlightening just how optional most elements of our lives are.

Thanks for the update, Kite. I do hope you continue to pop in once in awhile -- it's good to have you around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

If it's a part of who you are, don't give it up because you think you should. Or even moreso because someone else thinks you should...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is about what you think is important in life. For me, I think things like career, fame or money are always secondary to self-fulfillment and happiness. It may be music that serves as a tool to express myself and get a sense of accomplishment sometime, something else the other. But the most importance I put in what will I leave behind; my children and good opportunities for them to live without having to fight for living and sustenance or happiness. For that reason, I must also work and do the mandatory things in life. I hope, if not music, then another hobby will fulfill your needs for those other things in life, the small things so important.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Kiteman, let the guitars collect some dust. It isn't a problem. We go through cycles.

I have 4 fairly expensive bikes in the garage that haven't been ridden in months or more, but I know I'll likely need them later.

It is easy to loose interest in guitar when we see ourselves getting into a rut, playing the same basic sounds. Don't worry about not remembering all those songs, either. We can define ourselves in so many different creative ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck in your new endeavors. I tend to agree that you should keep some gear just in case. I can relate to forgetting songs. Seems like the older I get my brain can only hold so many songs, riffs whatever. I took about 18 year break from playing, then picked in up again in a BIG way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What does it matter, if you don't remembers songs? I can play but a couple of old favorite riffs by heart, and maybe 2-3 songs like some old CCR tunes that have but 2 chords or so. But even those I prefer to sing with vocal/guitar cue sheets. I must have played a song like, say, Fortunate Son a gazillion times but still can't ever remember how it goes without a cue sheet.

I can play my own current songs, i.e. about 12 songs, usually, if I play them with the band, but even then if we don't play in a few weeks, I'll need vocal sheets at least for some if not most of them.
    If I try to play them home alone, chances are I can't remember everything that way and need to check from our recordings what the hell is it I play, when I don't have the other instruments reminding me.

I never needed to know any songs totally by heart except in basically a couple of touring bands I was in...normally you can always have some cue sheets etc. anyway so why bother in the first place.
    Of course if you're in a touring band and play guitar like every week and even daily or so, it's entirely different, but me, hell...I haven't now played the guitar but an acoustic once since we got the CD done and that's like soon, what, third week going? How could I remember something so complex like an entire song if I don't play it but a couple of times and even then only bi-weekly or so?

Actually, no, I DID record one song's guitar parts one evening, so I did play maybe 20 minutes or so.

Anyway, don't worry about it.

All this reminds me I should probably try to play some guitar soon and arrange some training session for next week and maybe see and mix that one new song that is almost done once I get it mixed.
    Sometimes you just can't be bothered to do anything musicwise for a few weeks...but it's only for good. I always play a little better when I haven't played in ages and then pick up a guitar again.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember, the guitar will still be there for you when you should need to play. Guns are cool, too, and I enjoy shooting/hunting, but music is a "have to" kind of thing for me.

If you forget a song or two, it's no big deal. I've forgotten whole setlists of songs. That just gives me the opportunity to create more!

Maslow put it best: "A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    but music is a "have to" kind of thing for me.
    At least at this point in my life, if I don't have a chance to play some kind of guitar on a regular basis, I get kind of fidgety. On some level, that's kind of disturbing, but I just take it for what it is and try to feed the dog on a regular basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    At least at this point in my life, if I don't have a chance to play some kind of guitar on a regular basis, I get kind of fidgety. On some level, that's kind of disturbing, but I just take it for what it is and try to feed the dog on a regular basis.
    This is where I am right now as well. If more than a day or two goes by without my getting a chance to do some substantial playing I begin to get anxious about some of the other things I'm doing. I suppose that means guitar is officially an addiction for me, and I'm cool with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't think I forgot y'all but I'm not getting notified of posts for some reason. Anyway I just sold my Boss Gt-10 and now got the Sigma 40 on order at the range.

I was feeling pretty good today that I got my stuff out and played for a while but got tired after a few songs. Sucks, must be my depression so when I go for bloodwork next month I'm gonna bring it up. Maybe he'll change my medication so it's either this or that that's putting me in a funk.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

been playing for over four decades.do not worry about forgetting anything.look at it as a chance to be creative and move on to play other things.never never get stuck in one area.always look to expand your horizons.best way I know of off hand is to experiment on the fretboard.it opens up windows you never knew were there.
    while the band days Are long gone the creativity of doing something different and/or new is not.I still plug up all three of mine every weekend to try something new.guns are cool but unlike music they have limitations.guitar really has none if you think about it.
    you may just need the break to rest your brain.we all go though it.
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

I've been through it before and I bought a keyboard to play with if I'm not gonna play guitar anymore. Can't even get into that because it means I have to start over again.

Is there some truth to that adage, you can't teach old dogs new tricks?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
    Is there some truth to that adage, you can't teach old dogs new tricks?
    An old dog, absolutely not; a lazy dog, yes. Don't be a lazy dog! Give it a rest and come back when you feel it's time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon View Post
    An old dog, absolutely not; a lazy dog, yes. Don't be a lazy dog! Give it a rest and come back when you feel it's time.
    +1 bcdon. for the record 49 years playing guitar.17 in my own bands so been doing it solo a long time.classical piano before picking up guitar. You do not have to start anything over you would be just taking another journey down the music highway that never ends by tickling the ivories.
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

At least you guys are not going through depression and chronic pains like I do. That reminds me I have a appt Friday at the pain clinic. I'm ready for some more injections. probably why I feel crappy, they've worn off. Funny I forgot about that but they did last a long time.

Yea, I'll probably play again. Thanks guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast