Thread: Recording with garageband.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Recording with garageband.

I'm stuck in a rut - basically bored of playing other people's songs (and doing so badly), so I think it is about time I started trying to write some of my own stuff.

I own a macbook with garage band and I have a guitarport interface that plugs into the USB, but I wonder whether I could put together a better setup (cheaply). For example, the onboard mic on the mac is pretty bad, and an external mic would allow me to record my amphs directly. Anyhow, any suggestions for a budget level mac based recording set up?

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about macs specifically, but what are you looking to spend? I think your two main options would be a mic and an audio interface, which would probably be around $250 or they do make USB microphones. I think there are cheaper options too via craigslist and what not, but those are the two that spring to mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

What version of Garageband? v9 and above has a pretty good guitar processor built in. A USB mic would be the most cost effective way of recording acoustic sounds.

Post Thanks / Like

A decent two input interface would be a good idea. The preamps in them help the signal quality going into the computer. And a Shure SM57 is a tried and proven recording workhorse for vocals and instruments of all types. Total spent should be under $200. The interface may even come with a scaled down version of either Cubase or Pro Tools and they are both nice recording programs.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend this Line 6 UX1. I have used my (older version) for years and it is super simple to use and the amp sims are great.

http://amzn.to/FPWlfl

Only $150 and it has an XLR input with a decent mic preamp as well, for vocals or miking something. Integrates easily with Garageband.

Features:

UX1 provides the lowest noise for recording guitar with 12dB more dynamic range than similar interfaces
    POD Farm plug-in provides 18 guitar amps, 24 guitar cabs, 5 bass amps and 5 bass cabs, 29 essential stompbox and studio effects and 6 mic preamps in Mac® AU/RTAS®/VST® and Windows® RTAS®/VST® formats. Compatible with USB 1.1 and 2.0
    Free FX Junkie model pack adds 35 more effect models, including synths, filters, delays and more, to POD Farm. Ableton® Live Lite 8-track recording software
    One 1/4-inch guitar input, one balanced XLR input with high-quality mic preamp and trim knob, two 1/4-inch line inputs, 1/4-inch stereo monitor input, two 1/4-inch analog outs, 1/4-inch headphone out
    44.1/48 kHz 16-/24-bit recording (88.2/96 kHz with sample rate conversion)practicing and direct recording
    POD Farm plug-in provides 18 guitar amps, 24 guitar cabs, 5 bass amps and 5 bass cabs, 29 essential stompbox and studio effects
    Free FX Junkie model pack adds 35 more effect models, including synths, filters, delays and more, to POD Farm.
    One 1/4-inch guitar input, one balanced XLR input with high-quality mic preamp and trim knob, two 1/4-inch line inputs
    POD Farm plug-in provides 18 guitar amps, 24 guitar cabs, 5 bass amps & 5 bass cabs, 29 essential stompbox & studio effects
    Free FX Junkie model pack adds 35 more effect models, including synths, filters & more, to POD Farm.
    One 1/4-inch guitar input, one balanced XLR input with high-quality mic preamp and trim knob, two 1/4-inch line inputs,
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

+ 1 Robert

I use the line 6 with a cheap mic to record my Marshall Amp , sounds are really good. For late night playing i use the amp sim, but there is nothing like a real amp being recorded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm with Robert. I have the UX2, which has more imports, but that is rarely needed. It works great! I typically mic my amph with an SM57, but I could certainly just plug the guitar into the UX as well.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Well. Here's how I did it for $10. Even though I just bought the Yamaha THR 5 amplifier that has a USB-interface I can't use it since I still run OS X Tiger, bummer. So instead I connect the the Mac line in to the Phones socket on the amp. This means that the amp goes silent. I turn on "Listening" (not sure they call it that in the english version) in garage band, whatever comes into garage band can be heard through the speakers of your computer. Now, the speakers on the Mac book aren't particularly good, so I connect the "Phones out" on the Mac book to "Aux in" on my stereo set. I can now hear everything I play on the guitar as well as backing tracks, metronome, previously recorded tracks and everything else that garage band does, through the speakers of my stereo set. Cost, two cables around $10 and I get a fairly good recording.

Hampus

Post Thanks / Like

Mac line inputs have tons of gain. I've even plugged an electric guitar straight in with reasonable results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I did what markb did with some sort of special cable I got pretty cheap. it worked ok.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I have an M-Audio Firewire Solo you can have for $35 if you want it Gator. I don't have a power adaptor for it though ~
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWireSolo.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The cable I used was from Griffin. It works ok, though I think you would be happier with an interface of some kind.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I know you said MacBook not iPad, but for what it's worth I use a Snowball USB mic (Super cool looking too!) into my iPad. I record rambling noodles with the Tascam PCM recorder app, and more thought out song ideas with Garage Band.

Sound quality seems pretty awesome for what I'm doing

Post Thanks / Like

I use garage band all the time and I love it!! Its great!!! You can get hardware to use all different kinds of foot peddles for electric guitar and they sound great! I really recommend this app!!,!,!