Thread: High Strung and Nashville Tuning

Post Thanks / Like

Default High Strung and Nashville Tuning

I'm learning a song that is played in "high strung open B." I've ordered the D'Addario high strung string set but I'm not sure what open b means. How do you tune a high strung/nashville tuned guitar to open B?

Also, can you use a regular acoustic guitar with nashville strings? Do you have to make any modifications or do you just put the strings on?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All I know is it is:
    B F# B F# B D

It involves replacing the wound E, A, D and G strings with lighter gauge strings to allow tuning an octave higher than standard.

Post Thanks / Like

These sorts of tunings make me wish I had about 50 guitars...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parseeker View Post
    ... can you use a regular acoustic guitar with nashville strings? Do you have to make any modifications or do you just put the strings on?
    Yes.

I've now & then re-strung my Guild D40 Nashville, but just standard tuning. No special set, just all plain steels for these 5: 1/E .010, 2/B .013 or .014, 3/G .009 or .010, 4/D .012 or .013, 5/A .016 or .017; and an electric nickel wound .024 or.026 for 6/E.

No adjustment needed because I've strung my acoustic 6's xtra light ( .010-.047) to make going back & forth with electric 6's strung .010-.046 fairly seamless. But if you string the acoustic as most folks do, .012-.053, you may have to tweak the truss rod/neck relief.

Most useful application is the one Nashville studio cats concocted it for back in the stone age 1950's and thus the name: to double a 'normally strung' acoustic 6 part in a recording, overdubbing with a 2nd track.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Always good to see you posting, wingsdad!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

What wingsdad said. A sort of spacious 12-string effect for thickening up Nashville backings. Check the gauges on a 12-string set for the ones you need, parseeker.