Thread: Playing quietly-Headphones

Post Thanks / Like

Default Playing quietly-Headphones

Hi folks,
    My nephew wants to learn to play electric so his mother agreed to buy him a guitar and I would furnish a form of amplification. Now he has 2 younger sisters and they live in a small house with not much private time. Has anybody used something like the old Rockmans lately? I know they still make the rockman but it isn't up to par with the old ones (I've been told). Is there something else out there less than $100 I could look into.
    Thanks, Dave

Post Thanks / Like

$100 will get you a brand new Behringer Vamp 2 with carry case and footswitch-delivered. There are enough amp models and effects to satisfy most anyone especially a beginner.

I think Digitech and Zoom have some pedals that do the headphone thing too. I'm not sure what they cost though.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveO
    Hi folks,
    My nephew wants to learn to play electric so his mother agreed to buy him a guitar and I would furnish a form of amplification. Now he has 2 younger sisters and they live in a small house with not much private time. Has anybody used something like the old Rockmans lately? I know they still make the rockman but it isn't up to par with the old ones (I've been told). Is there something else out there less than $100 I could look into.
    Thanks, Dave
    You can score a multi-effects pedal such as a Digitech RP-50 for around $100 on Musiciansfriend.com etc. (cheaper on eBay). I have the RP-80 which is the same, exept with an expression pedal (paid $125 CDN new). Should be good deals available on RP-50s, 80s etc. as they have been discontinued and replaced by newer, sexier (and more expensive) models. Korg, Line 6, Behringer all have similar modelling/MFX pedals. Just plug in the headphones and rawk

Lots of effects and amp models to play with which will keep your nephew busy and engaged for hours. It's more fun than repeating scales over and over through a clean channel, I'll tell you that much!

The only downside I noticed is medium to low volume through headphones, though it's probably a lot healthier and will avoid ear damage down the road.

Hope this helps,

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, time to cruise ebay.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,
    I have a (gently) used RP-50, I changed some of the user presets to suit myself, though it can be reset to factory settings. I've just acquired a new RP-250 and don't use the 50 much now. If you want to pay shipping and handling, I'll ship it to you for your nephew. We'll call it a "Christmas present" for him. PM me if you're interested.
    Glenn
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up No Grinch Here!

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    Dave,
    I have a (gently) used RP-50, I changed some of the user presets to suit myself, though it can be reset to factory settings. I've just acquired a new RP-250 and don't use the 50 much now. If you want to pay shipping and handling, I'll ship it to you for your nephew. We'll call it a "Christmas present" for him. PM me if you're interested.
    Glenn
    That's the spirit, Glenn! Merry Christmas, indeed
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

PM sent oldguy. Thanks.
    By the way, your sig is a line from my favorite Neil song. Does it appear on any studio album?

Post Thanks / Like

"Rust Never Sleeps."
    BTW, I pm'd you back.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, DaveO, any luck yet?
    Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

I was just about to go check the mail. I will let you know later.
    Thanks, Dave
    "You don't have to act your age to feel it."
    DaveO

Post Thanks / Like

Glenn, everything arrived in great shape. Just got through playing...I mean testing, yeah testing, it out. Thanks for everything. I will be sending your check out tomorrow. I can't tell you how much he will like this and how nice it was of you to send it to me. Great to be able to help a young player when he is just starting out. It is now official " OLDGUY RULES "
    Thanks again, Dave
    "You don't have to act your age to feel it."
    DaveO

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear it made it in one piece. I always get a little nervous mailing things. Merry Christmas to all of you, and I hope someday to hear maybe a clip of something your nephew plays. It is great to see younger folk interested in playin' music! Tell him an old fogey up in Missouri says "Hi!"
    Glenn
    Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals