Thread: New Dragonforce: "Fallen World"

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Dragonforce: "Fallen World"

Dragonforce has a new album, "The Power Within," with a new singer, Marc Hudson. A track called "Fallen World" has been released on the YouTubes.

People who don't like shred or power metal in general obviously don't need to apply. Hudson sounds more like a classic metal singer to me than ZP Theart. Still, I can't shake the feeling that this song is from "Inhuman Rampage." I want to listen to the rest of the album before passing judgment though. I don't honestly understand how their drummer can drum so fast and make it through a whole concert.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

That kind of drumming sounds like a humongous herd of buffaloes stampeding.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I dig it! I like the new singer much better than the old one. Wait.... did I just hear about a measure's worth of clean notes?

I would like to see Herman and Sam lay off the Whammy pedal just a little bit.

Post Thanks / Like

And the first official video "Cry Thunder." This one has much better audio. NWBasser will be happy to hear that a) they have a bassist, and b) he is audible.

This track doesn't sound so much like it came right off "Inhuman Rampage." Might have to pick this one up.

Nice to see a keytar too. OK, maybe not.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to have a listen when I get home from work to some better speakers.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got a good listen.

Shredderiffic!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the whole album on Tuesday when it came out. After a few listen-throughs I think I can give a good review.

I bought their album "Inhuman Rampage" (containing the song "Through the Fire and Flames") when it came out. There was and still is a lot to like about it. If there is a criticism, it is that with the exception of the last track the whole album is a sonic assault. Drums, guitars, everything pounding away at the speed of light. It's technically impressive, but a bit oppressive to listen to. It's great if you're driving and you need to stay awake. The songs tend to run from one to another without a great deal of difference between them. I didn't get their follow-up "Ultra Beatdown" because what I heard from it sounded like "Inhuman Rampage, Part Deux."

"The Power Within" is a different animal. Make no mistake, the pummeling drums and speed-demon guitars are still there, but there are parts where, gasp, they slow down. I would almost go so far as to say that some of the changes within songs are almost prog-like. The new singer, Marc Hudson, is an improvement over ZP Theart, in my opinion. He has a wider range. I would really be interested to hear how their next album turns out after they've had him in the band a couple of years. On several tracks, I thought he sounded quite a bit like a more metal Tommy Shaw.

I would classify Dragonforce as Power Metal (shred with medieval themes). Others would probably classify them as Melodic Metal--a term I don't like because "Melodic" is usually used as a pejorative when talking about metal. I define melodic metal as "metal without Cookie Monster." If you use that definition then I agree. I suppose this album is less "brutal" than "Inhuman Rampage," although that's not necessarily a bad thing. The first two tracks are quite a bit like "Inhuman Rampage." Then comes "Cry Thunder" which is the strongest track on the album. When "Wings of Liberty" starts, it sounds like its going to be a sappy poppy ballad, but it eventually kicks in and is one of the most dynamic tracks on the album. The album ends with an acoustic version of the song "Seasons" which is a cool, ballad-like take on it--I think Hudson really sounds like Shaw on this one. I like it, but serious black/doom/death metalheads won't.

The "special edition" includes a live-in-the-studio version of "Cry Thunder" which gives an interesting look at how the band would sound in a live situation. Yes, they really can play that fast. There's a version of "Heart of the Storm" with an alternate mix--not much to see here. The last of the three bonus tracks is an instrumental which is very cool, but quite short.

All told, I really like this album. Fans of power/melodic metal should check it out. Listen to "Cry Thunder" above. If you like that, you'll like the album.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried listening to them and just don't like them. To me, they are in the same category as Dream Theatre.. they're no doubt talented musicians but the music just doesn't rock enough. Different strokes for different folks.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Melodic Metal - is that a common term for this kind of music?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Melodic Metal - is that a common term for this kind of music?
    It's starting to get used more, basically I think to differentiate it from Cookie Monster vocals. It tends to be used rather unflatteringly, as if it is not "real" metal. I tend to leave those you-know-what-ing contests to someone else. There's one big metal site that defines them as "Melodic Power Metal" along with the likes of Firewind. I personally haven't heard any power metal that I wouldn't consider melodic.

My favorite description of the band comes from their one guitarist, Herman Li, who called it "Journey meets Slayer."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    My favorite description of the band comes from their one guitarist, Herman Li, who called it "Journey meets Slayer."
    Can't disagree more. Journey is Journey and Slayer is, well, Slayer. If he means "lamer rock meets metal" then I would agree, sort of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon View Post
    Can't disagree more. Journey is Journey and Slayer is, well, Slayer. If he means "lamer rock meets metal" then I would agree, sort of.
    Gee, tell us how you really feel, bcdon. The quote was obviously intended as a joke.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Gee, tell us how you really feel, bcdon. The quote was obviously intended as a joke.
    Sorry, I should have added a smiley face but I thought you'd know I was kidding around.

Post Thanks / Like

Great Lyrics, maybe they could teach Roger Water's a few things... but maybe not. They seem fun but not my cup of cha.