Thread: Ric advice, please...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ric advice, please...

So I have a chance to pick up a 1976 Autumnglo 4001 Ric for 12 bills. All original, seems really clean, OHSC. I don't know much about Rickenbackers or their values. Should I do it??
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

That's not a bad price for a vintage Ric.

For a bass that old, I'd look over the frets very carefully for wear and check the function of the truss rod(s).

Also, check the pickup output. The Ric pickups can age and lose output over the years (as do many others too).

And, it's only a good deal if you like the bass. Make sure you play it to see if it fits you.

Post Thanks / Like

NW, how do pickups age and lose output?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bookkeeper's Son View Post
    NW, how do pickups age and lose output?
    The magnets in pickups tend to weaken as they age. Some people like that effect in guitar pickups a lot, which is part of why vintage PAFs command such high prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Magnet strength decay is yet another of those much-debated subjects, apparently. A couple of references I saw said that AlNiCo V magnets lose strength of about 1/2 of 1 percent (.50%) in 100 years. Doesn't sound like much.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, you can get oxidization of the copper wiring. As well as physical delamination of the copper coils over time.

I don't actually know what magnet material Rickenbacker uses. My statement is based on many anecdotal reports that I've read on bass player's forums.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I got it. It's got great punch. Way different than a Fender, for sure. Both truss rods turn fine. Frets have very little wear. Pups are strong, good output. She's home
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! Congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    Well, I got it. It's got great punch. Way different than a Fender, for sure. Both truss rods turn fine. Frets have very little wear. Pups are strong, good output. She's home
    Winner!

However, we will need to see pictures of this supposed bass...Rulz R Rulz ya know!

When you say it has more punch than a Fender, ah, which Fender?
    Jazz, P, P/J??

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Zip, any pics yet?

I love the look of those rics.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got some great pics - on my phone, with no way to post them here. I'll get some kind of USB cord soon & post them. In the meantime, it looks like this one, but with the original black p/g. Cheesy, I know...but the color's the same ("autumnglo").

Dweezil Zappa