Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
F/S: Klon Centaur clone pedal

Thread: F/S: Klon Centaur clone pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Default F/S: Klon Centaur clone pedal

SOLD!! Thanks for looking....

If you're reading this, you probably know the reputation of the Klon Centaur and what kind of prices they command on the used pedal market. While I don't believe ANY boost/overdrive pedal is worth what these things sell for, it is a very nice sounding circuit, particularly when used with the gain set fairly low and the volume cranked up to push a tube amp into overdrive. Just seems to accentuate all the right frequencies and create a very pleasing mix of harmonics. There are any number of demos on YouTube, if you'd like to hear the pedal--as usual, the ones by Gearmanndude are among the best.

Anyway, the Klon was reverse engineered a few years back, and a number of exact circuit clones have been available since. One of the best was the Sunking from Madbean Pedals, now discontinued. By sheer serendipity, I happened across a non-functioning Sunking that the builder had given up on and was able to buy it for a very reasonable price. I traced the problem to an unusual defect in the footswitch that was causing a portion of the circuit to be connected to ground, whether the pedal was bypassed or engaged. Replaced the footswitch and it works perfectly now. I would hang onto it, except that I just bought two Klon clone boards that a guy over at the BYOC forums recently designed and had a run of 100 manufactured. Am planning to keep one of those builds and sell the other, though that's probably a month down the road.

Haven't taken any photos of this Sunking yet, and I can do so if someone really wants to see it. There's really not much to see, though--it's a plain polished aluminum enclosure, the typical pedalboard-friendly 125B size (2.5" x 4.7" x 1.5") with top-mounted jacks. Footswitch, small purple LED, and three black knobs (gain, tone, volume) in a triangle arrangement. No paint or decals of any sort. The builder did really nice, clean work--the soldering quality in particular is first rate. I was very surprised that he gave up on it before he got it running correctly, because the guy obviously had some skills.

In any case, it's for sale. Now, if a well-built circuit clone just doesn't cut it for you and you have to have the real thing, by all means head over to eBay, where there are always a few of these up for auction. AAMOF, I just looked earlier this morning and saw that between Mar. 22 and yesterday, Apr. 2, ten genuine Klon Centaurs had been sold on eBay. The cheapest went for $850 and the most expensive one for $1,480. No kidding.

Or you can have this one for $95 plus shipping. PayPal only. PM me if interested.
    Last edited by duhvoodooman; April 30th, 2012 at 09:04 AM.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

SOLD!! (That didn't take long....)
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I don't need one 'cos there's one built into my VT40+

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Me bought it! Horsing around with this, soon I will. Half-horsing anyway.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Training for all those marathons makes Robert faster than the average human

Can you recommend any Klon clone kits that you think are good DVM?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otaypanky View Post
    Can you recommend any Klon clone kits that you think are good DVM?
    For a pre-assembled one, you could try this one:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.ph...Klone?p=224175

I'm guessing DVM would also give that his endorsement...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner