Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
NGGD - warm, brown and steamin'...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NGGD - warm, brown and steamin'...

Post Thanks / Like

Default NGGD - warm, brown and steamin'...

... but far from a piece of ****

Les Paul by Mark Bowerman, on Flickr

Meet my "new" '08 LP Studio Vintage Mahogany. Apart from a couple of tiny nicks here and there it's like new. I can't say the same for its case though! My word, but this is a light and resonant guitar. I assume it's chambered. It's also amazingly bright for an all 'mahogany LP too, must be the Burstbucker Pros. Roll down the tone controls for more girth, no problem. A bit of a surprise this one, just one of those guitars that follows you home.

Post Thanks / Like

Happy NGD!

Congratulations, that's a nice guitar!

Sent from my cobra phone

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice. I love that finish. Those are awesome guitars. Everyone I've either heard or played has been great.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet! I like that one a lot.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome.

Happy New Guitar Day!

I played one of those once at the local GC and nearly risked my marriage to bring her home with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Studio owners club, mines a red wine one built around 1986 a very good guitar. My case has been through the wars as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    Awesome.

Happy New Guitar Day!

I played one of those once at the local GC and nearly risked my marriage to bring her home with me.
    That's not a problem for me these days

Post Thanks / Like

That's a beautiful guitar! Congrats, man!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice guitar, Mark! I've only played a couple guitars that had the Burtsbuckers, and I found them to be a bit bright for my tastes, which seems to be your experience as well. You could always do a magnet swap for some A2s to tame them a bit, should you feel inclined. That finish is a real winner, I must say. How's the neck on that?
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

The neck is described in all the stuff I can find on these (there's some confusion as to what's what in faded finish Studios) as a "'59 profile". It's quite chunky but very nicely shaped. Rounder than the D neck on my J45 and tapers nicely toward the head.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the finish on that guitar.

Congratulations Mark. I hope it brings you years of enjoyment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good find! A well made Studio with BB's makes for a great guitar.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! I would for sure like to try it. Come on over for a jam!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

The more I look at this guitar, the more features I see in the grain patterns on the body. That mahogany really does look unique! It looks like you got a special Gibby there, man.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Guitar. The finishing is wonderful. I like this six string Guitar very much. Congratulations.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice indeed!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

sweet ~
    'reminds me of a model I had years ago called 'The Paul'. I think it was walnut. Except that one wasn't chambered, which I think is a really neat feature. Not only for weight relief but it has a unique sound. Enjoy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb View Post
    The neck is described in all the stuff I can find on these (there's some confusion as to what's what in faded finish Studios) as a "'59 profile". It's quite chunky but very nicely shaped. Rounder than the D neck on my J45 and tapers nicely toward the head.
    I found the neck profile and worn finish to fit my big hands perfectly. Better than nearly every guitar I've played. I loved the tone too.

Given the chance, I'll nab one these one day!

Post Thanks / Like

The worn finish feels odd at first but after a bit of playing a normal lacquered neck just feels sticky. Hmm, where did I put that steel wool?
    What I like most is that the body and cap appear to have been made from one piece of mahogany.

Now I've done the usual little setup items it's playing even better. I thought these were given the Plek treatment at the factory but here's my list:

Raise stop tailpiece. These are always screwed right down on any Gibson style guitar I buy. In this case the strings were fouling on the back of the bridge.
    Add relief to neck - about a 1/4 turn to lose a slight buzz on the low strings around the 5th fret. Fixed.
    Readjust action for altered neck relief. Lowered a bit on the treble side.
    Fine tune pickup heights and polepieces for action adjustments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast