Thread: New pickup ordered - SD nickel covered.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New pickup ordered - SD nickel covered.

I decided to hot rod my first real decent guitar I ever bought. It is a Schecter Omen 6 with a bolt on maple neck and rosewood board, with a walnut stained basswood superstrat body. It now has two covered full sized humbuckers from one of my other guitars and is a very nice guitar and sounds great too. So hot rodding it is more an exercise in appreciation than anything else in particular.

The guitar is in super nice condition because it hasn't seen much action until recently when I changed the rusted old strings.

When I decided to put in some new pickups I did a lot of research and didn't want to just put in another Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge. I'm replacing the bridge pickup first and going from there. I considered the Gibson Burstbucker 3 and the '57 Classic, both pickups that I appreciate. I thought about a SD Pearly Gates. Then I started thinking that I want to keep the upgrade consistent with the vibe that comes to mind when I think of Schecter superstrat type guitars. I talked to a friend that is a salesman at a music store by me who has been helpful in the past and has taste something like mine in guitars and amps. He just got a new Fender Kurt Cobain Fender Jaguar. He suggested the DiMarzio Super Distortion full humbucker and that is what is in the bridge of the Jaguar. They had another Cobain Jaguar hanging on the wall so we got that down and I was able to play it thru a Fender SuperSonic 60 and get an idea of what it might sound like in my Schecter. I played it for quite a while at lots of different settings on the guitar and amp.

I have to say that I think that Kurt Cobain signature Jaguar is an awesome guitar. It feels great, has a lot of tonal variability, and I was able to get some great tones out of it. I directly compared the Jaguar and its Super Distortion pickup to my Schecter that I had brought into the store. The first thing that got my attention was how much louder the Super Distortion was than the humbucker in the Schecter, at the same amp settings. Also I liked the tones of the Super Distortion a lot more than the pickup in the Schecter. I was also surprised at how good the clean sound was on the Super Distortion. On the Vibrolux side the Super Distortion pickup in the Jaguar sounded really clean and good with really good response to pick attack. With the bassman side engaged and the burn button activated I didn't need a distortion pedal to get a great overdriven sound out of that SuperSonic.

So, needless to say, I'm looking forward to getting the pickup delivered. The nickel covered version is a special order. I think the Super Distortion will be a good pickup to put in the Schecter. If I wind up liking it I am already thinking of getting a direct replacement P90 Super Distortion humbucker for my SX LP junior copy to put in the bridge position. They look just like black P90's but have twelve poles and are humbuckers. The cost is very reasonable as well. Something like seventy dollars for the P90 sized Super Distortion humbucker. DiMarzio also makes two other P90 looking humbuckers, one is a hot neck version and the other one is a vintage neck humbucking one. The fact that they look just like P90's but have a great humbucking sound is something that I can appreciate. The vintage one is supposed to sound more like a P90 than the other ones.

Has anyone else tried any of the DiMarzio Super Distortion pickups? If so what are your comments?

Post Thanks / Like

DiMarzio SD in the bridge, with an Air Norton in the neck position (w/500K pot) was a great combination in an older Kramer. Phenominal combo, tone for miles.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

That Air Norton sounds like a good neck pickup to compliment the SD. I am thinking that this SD is going to bring this Schecter to a new level of enjoyment and I'll want to match it with a good neck pickup too.

Post Thanks / Like

wait.... go back to the part about two Kurt Cobain Jag's in one store!!!

I've been looking for one for a little while in stores here in Oz. I really wanted one, but they seem to be quite rare and the price is astronomical here.

I'd maybe splurge the $2400 if it was a real American made Fender Custom Shop model, but it ain't (which keeps the vibe of the original I guess, but Kurt didn't pay $2400 for his in that pawn shop either...)

Anyway, yes, pickups. Have you tried the SD '59 as a neck pickup? I love the sound of it in my Maton. For bridge pickups I'm currently loving the Bare Knuckle Nail Bomb in my ZeroDot. I think I might even like it more than the SD JB I have in the Maton. It is super hot though. The JB and '59 are a good match pair in terms of output, you'd want a pretty super hot neck to pair with a BK NB.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin View Post
    wait.... go back to the part about two Kurt Cobain Jag's in one store!!!

I've been looking for one for a little while in stores here in Oz. I really wanted one, but they seem to be quite rare and the price is astronomical here.

I'd maybe splurge the $2400 if it was a real American made Fender Custom Shop model, but it ain't (which keeps the vibe of the original I guess, but Kurt didn't pay $2400 for his in that pawn shop either...)

Anyway, yes, pickups. Have you tried the SD '59 as a neck pickup? I love the sound of it in my Maton. For bridge pickups I'm currently loving the Bare Knuckle Nail Bomb in my ZeroDot. I think I might even like it more than the SD JB I have in the Maton. It is super hot though. The JB and '59 are a good match pair in terms of output, you'd want a pretty super hot neck to pair with a BK NB.
    They, Cobain Jaguars, are about 1400 here. One of those two is sold to the dude that helped me out. The guitar feels better than it looks, quite heavy really, and has a solid feel with a nice control layout. Three metal control knobs and the switch to by-pass them and use the rotary dials on the mellower tone circuit. The neck feels good and it sounds great thru that SuperSonic 60 amp with no pedals.

I have not thought much about what I will put in the neck to compliment the Super Distortion. A SD '59 would definitely be nothing to scoff at, or even a Pearly Gates. Maybe even a Gibson 496R like the neck one in the Explorers or Flying V's. DiMarzio probably has their own recommendations. That reminds me; when I called Seymour Duncan and talked to the tech about suggestions for middle and neck pickups to go along with the JB Jr., he was open minded enough to suggest a couple DiMarzio's as the choice that a lot of guys make. I went with the Little 59 and the Hot Rail single coil sized humbuckers and it is a great sounding guitar with a lot of different sounds.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Duffy, I explained to the dealer here that a given the USD and AUD are about the same, a $1000 mark up is pretty obscene. I'm sure someone will buy it though, just not me.

Let us know how you go with your pick up choice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin View Post
    Thanks Duffy, I explained to the dealer here that a given the USD and AUD are about the same, a $1000 mark up is pretty obscene. I'm sure someone will buy it though, just not me.

Let us know how you go with your pick up choice

I have ordered a Dimarzio Super Distortion for the bridge of my Schecter, the nickel covered one. I ordered this based on how great the super distortion sounds in the Cobain Jaguar I played.