Thread: New pedal! Maxon SD-9 Sonic Distortion

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New pedal! Maxon SD-9 Sonic Distortion

Been watching the eBay auctions for a Maxon SD-9 for some time now. Finally scored yesterday!

Why am I getting it? Well, some my big influences are Scott Henderson and now also Michael Landau, both guys with great tone. Guess what - they both use the Maxon SD-9. I trust these dudes - they know tone.

The origin of the Maxon SD-9 goes back to the 80s. It's a simple pedal that can produce a range of sweet tones. Read more about it at http://www.maxonfx.com/9/sd9/

I'll tell you more about it once I've tried it. It'll be a week or so before I receive it.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that one the same as the Ibanez TS-9 or is that the OD-9?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

No, it's not the same. I have heard it's based on the Ibanez SD-9 but with better parts.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    No, it's not the same. I have heard it's based on the Ibanez SD-9 but with better parts.
    IIRC, Maxon actually makes the pedals for Ibanez. I checked Maxon's site and was surprised to see that their version of the TS-9 cost more than their version of the TS-808.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa.. those are really nice.
    Clip please?
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Oahh, I finally just received the SD-9 today! I will try it tonight, and let you know how I like it. I'll also record a video clip as soon as I can!

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it for 3 minutes at lunch today! Fantabulous! I'm gonna fall in love with this simple pedal. It has a very smooth gain. No harshness like my BD-2 has. More to come... but so far, a very big thumbs up.

Post Thanks / Like

That's why you can never find the Ibanez SD9's anywhere anymore. They are really good!

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Default SD-9 Video Clip

Here is a little video clip I hurried together - Maxon SD-9 Clip

Excuse the poor video quality - I had the camera on battery instead of with the power cord, and I noticed it started dropping frames. Sound is fine though.

Great pedal guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Robert,

the pedal sound great.

I still got a TS9 at home, is it familiar with the Maxon SD9?

Post Thanks / Like

If it is similar? I don't know, I haven't had a TS9. I suppose it similar, but I think the SD-9 has a less midrangy sound, and is more smooth. It is insanely smooth, this pedal. Crank up the gain all the way and it doesn't go into uncontrollable distortion, just smooth, fat distortion. It's a joy to play with this pedal.

Post Thanks / Like

You still sound like yourself (which is a good thing) and that pedal sounded great. Thank you for giving me another thing to look for.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, that pedal is sweet, man! Your playing is as amazing as always...!

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

This was posted on the local (to me) Craigslist this afternoon again. I can't believe someone hasn't jumped on it:

http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/831260907.html

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$