Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Favourite Marshall Amph?

View Poll Results: What is your favourite Marshall amph?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • JCM800

1 8.33%
  • JCM900

1 8.33%
  • Silver Jubilee

3 25.00%
  • JTM 45

0 0%
  • Vintage Modern

0 0%
  • JVM 100

1 8.33%
  • TSL 100

1 8.33%
  • DSL 100

0 0%
  • JMP Super Lead 100

2 16.67%
  • Bluesbreaker

2 16.67%
  • Other (name in your post)

1 8.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Marshall Amph?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Favourite Marshall Amph?

What's 1 choice and why?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Boy, I don't know for sure as I have never really played one. I liked the sound of Tone2theBone's jubiliee he used to have. Jimi (both Hendrix, and Jimi75) had nice sounding ones. I love the sound of a marshall circuit with a strat through it. For me, I would want that warm sound but in something not too huge and loud. I guess that is why I was coming back to that jubilee.

Edit: Voted Jubilee. I think I would pick a 2x12 model, 25/50.

I think Tone's is a 1x12, but I think a 2x12 would be maybe a bit more open.

with strat
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I like the JCM800 because of the way these guys make it sound: AC/DC, Zakk Wylde, Kerry King, &c.
    Last edited by bcdon; April 11th, 2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

I love the silver jubilee! tone on tone on tone! I used to have a jcm2000 dsl 201 that I absolutely adored. Was forced to sell some time ago when I hit on hard times. I now rue that day in my nightmares everynight!! We shall be together Petunia, and we can rekindle our love!

Post Thanks / Like

What I've heard of the one Robert recently got impresses me a lot. I also like the Silver Jubilee that Tone has. But, because I've had my JMP50 since 1977 and have taken it all over the place I'll go with it just for sentimental reasons. However, I'd be perfectly happy with the other two I mentioned as well. I'd have to play them both a bit to see which one wins.

Mine originally looked like this, but it stuck out too much on stage so I spray painted the grille back to make it look more modern and hidden on the sage a bit more.

Before (not mine)

and after (also not mine)

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Tone's Silver Jubilee has the sound that defines the Marshall tone. Funny that such great sounds come from a 1x12 combo.

That said, the JCM 800 is incredible, and Jimi's JTM45 sounds awesome with his Strat. Robert's and Dee's amphs sound glorious, too. The choices are so tightly grouped that it's hard to pick one, but Tone's amph is something special, I think.

My first band's other guitar player played a Les Paul Studio direct into a 50 watt JCM 800 head and 4x12. At live volumes (read: earsplitting, we played VERY loud, to compensate for our drummer), it sounded unreal. I should have followed his lead and bought one of those heads instead of my rack rig. I'd still have it today, instead of a pile of useless parts.

Post Thanks / Like

My first "real" amp was a 100 watt Jubilee half stack. A ridiculous amp for a 17 year old to own

I still have the 4x12 cab here at Premier in the back of the building but I sold the head to buy a Mesa Boogie when I got out of college. A horrible trade in retrospect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Me, I never really got the Jubilee craze. It's much like a JCM800 2210, it also has diodes for distortion but they're a bit differently in the signal chain and the amp tonestack is geared towards cleaner tones I understand. They don't reportedly have a choke either because there apparently was no room in the combo chassis but later done for many Marshalls to save on costs, and it's making them a little less 'organic' and tighter, cleaner sounding than 800 series. The triode switch is cool, but from what I remember it more like just eats away at tone than really lower the volume. Not that it's bad to have diodes for drive, no need for pedals then maybe :-) but for amph purists that's a big no-no.

Of course, when it sounds good, it _is_ good, but that's not the classic Marshall sound to me. I think the classic Marshall sounds are that of the Bluesbreaker, the kinda nearly Voxy headroom-less crunchy cleanish roar, and the EL84 breaker with the super-organic dark mutter, and definitely 2203&4 50W AC/DC crunch that is behind almost 100% rock sounds prior to the 90's.

Yeah, the 50W single-channel all-tube 2203 amph surely is the Marshall I think is the most iconic one easily...no other amp sounds quite the same. I often regret selling the JMP 50W combo, because I felt the JMP-1 rack system was so much easier to handle and use. But I voted for the JVM, because it's such a great combination of 'em all. Preamp sections from four of the classic JCM amps and all tube with no diodes...it is been made a compromise, though, so I'm in the process of modding it to have one channel basically identical to JMP and one channel identical to JCM2204 by adding a choke and changing some caps and components for their correct values. Maybe over the weekend I can get the soldering done and hear for myself :-)

Here's a clip with my old JMP...it just sounded so huge with the EMG85's...in retrospect, so much bigger than the 4x10" rig it's against here:

Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    Me, I never really got the Jubilee craze. It's much like a JCM800 2210, it also has diodes for distortion but they're a bit differently in the signal chain and the amp tonestack is geared towards cleaner tones I understand. They don't reportedly have a choke either because there apparently was no room in the combo chassis but later done for many Marshalls to save on costs, and it's making them a little less 'organic' and tighter, cleaner sounding than 800 series. The triode switch is cool, but from what I remember it more like just eats away at tone than really lower the volume. Not that it's bad to have diodes for drive, no need for pedals then maybe :-) but for amph purists that's a big no-no.

Of course, when it sounds good, it _is_ good, but that's not the classic Marshall sound to me. I think the classic Marshall sounds are that of the Bluesbreaker, the kinda nearly Voxy headroom-less crunchy cleanish roar, and the EL84 breaker with the super-organic dark mutter, and definitely 2203&4 50W AC/DC crunch that is behind almost 100% rock sounds prior to the 90's.

I agree on the classic Marshall tone with the Bluesbreaker, I currently own the 1974x which is a superb amp, no EQ just Volumme and a tone knob. This may be a one trick pony but i get all the tone by adjusting my guitar knobs. One thing it is missing is the reverb tank, but i can live with that (just add a reverb pedal). As for pedals all you really need is a booster to overdrive the amp.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dee, I thought AC/DC was always known for the 1959 superlead. Isn't the 2203 a 50W JCM800? I'm no Marshall historian, and the numbering has always confused me, so please pardon my ignorance if I'm incorrect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I always thought the JTM45 was the Bluesbreaker. What's the difference? This thread could be a good chance to air all of my questions about Marshalls.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

acdc marshalls have always been missed quite a lot...the 800 sseers covers most their sounds best imo.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Also, I always thought the JTM45 was the Bluesbreaker. What's the difference? This thread could be a good chance to air all of my questions about Marshalls.
    The "Bluesbreaker" is a JTM45 in a 2x12 combo form named for the picture on the John Mayall's Bluesbreakers featuring Eric Clapton album of 1966.

The JTM45 was basically a Tweed Bassman with a different tone stack.

As for my favourite Marshalls it has to be the 1987 model 50w "Plexi" and the various combo versions on the same chassis. Even when they tried to ruin them with a master volume you could just avoid it. The 1974 18w combo was basically a half power version. It all went downhill from the JCM800 onwards for me.

Having said that, I was very taken with a Silver Jubilee 25/50 2x12 combo once but the shop owner wasn't selling. The best cleans I've ever heard from a Marshall.

These days my Marshall needs come from a pedal. Much easier on the back and wallet

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Seeing as the Tweed Bassman is my other favorite tone, the JTM45 would also be a good choice. I would just want something with that type of tone in a smaller version.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could vote in this, but I honestly have no idea. My impression is that I'd like the JCM 800, but I've never really even come close to playing any of those. Maybe someday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I still like the poor man's Plexi. It nails the JCM and Jubilee tones incredibly well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb View Post
    The "Bluesbreaker" is a JTM45 in a 2x12 combo form named for the picture on the John Mayall's Bluesbreakers featuring Eric Clapton album of 1966.

The JTM45 was basically a Tweed Bassman with a different tone stack.
    Not that I'm an expert, but I did quite a bit of reading on the topic while I built my JTM45, and I believe the difference between the original Bassman and the JTM45 are a little more substantial than that. IMHO, it breaks down like this.

The Bassman has a 12AY7 as V1 and the JTM has a 12AX7. That's a big difference of itself. I've just received a NOS 12AY7 so I can try it in my JTM style amp and see what happens. I would expect much less gain.

The two have completely different output transformers. The Fender with a single 2 Ohm tap, the JTM with multiple taps. They also have different primary impedance's.

I think the chokes were different values

I think both started with 5881 bottles, then the JTM pretty quickly went to KT66's

Then there's the speakers and the various open and closed back designs used.

So yeah, for sure the JTM was based on the 5F6-A Bassman, but I don't believe, based on what I've been reading, that they are as close as often mentioned on the net. Which is, of course, why they sound different. I read one post somewhere that said the difference in sound was down to the fact that one had American parts and one British. I laughed about that for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin View Post
    I read one post somewhere that said the difference in sound was down to the fact that one had American parts and one British. I laughed about that for a while.
    Now, why wouldn't the difference come down to American vs. British parts? After all, haven't you heard the joke as to why the British don't sale televisions.. they haven't found a way to make them leak oil yet. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Haha classic. Little bit of truth in the USA v UK thing though I suppose, different power and output transformer manufacturers would almost certainly mean different sound.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast