Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pod hd 500 help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pod hd 500 help

I recently pulled the trigger on the Line 6 Pod HD 500 only because I got a GOOD price $375. This thing is way over my head tech wise. I need some one to point me in the right direction for help on learning what all the buttons & knob are for & how do I download the newer software upgrades. The Pilot's Handbook that comes with it isn't much help. I've been looking around the web for help and the Line 6 website but not found what I'm looking for. Any tips would REALLY be appreciated.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Plug it in to your computer via USB. Get Line 6 Monkey if you don't have it. http://line6.com/monkey

Then update whatever Monkey says needs updating. The HD500 Edit software is a must. I don't mess around much the unit itself - I do the editing with this software - much easier. The software is quite easy to grasp too. Amps, Effects, Cabs.

Hope that helps.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Plug it in to your computer via USB. Get Line 6 Monkey if you don't have it. http://line6.com/monkey

Then update whatever Monkey says needs updating. The HD500 Edit software is a must. I don't mess around much the unit itself - I do the editing with this software - much easier. The software is quite easy to grasp too. Amps, Effects, Cabs.

Hope that helps.
    Yes it did, thanks Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

Great.

You can find some patches I made on http://line6.com/customtone/profile/dolphinstreet/
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Great.

You can find some patches I made on http://line6.com/customtone/profile/dolphinstreet/
    That's great, but can I put them onto my POD HD 500? When I clicked on the get button a DVD icon popped up.

Post Thanks / Like

You can download the patches and then open them with hd500 edit software.

Post Thanks / Like

Really need some major help on this beast. Robert how about a lesson on how to assign different tones to the foot switches. That would help me greatly. This old timer having big time problems with this pedal.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried looking on youtube or elsewhere for some setup guides? I've heard it's quite a tricky unit to dive into, and there are some comparable units that are significantly easier to program (Zoom G3, Digitech RP1000, Boss GT100). The main tip I have read is that using the software editing program is significantly easier than the LED interface on the hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I learned everything from Line 6's online community discussions and manuals.
    http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2300

I'd write more, but without one in front of me, I'm useless.

Post Thanks / Like

Video lesson on the HD500 - good idea! I may try that some day.

But watch this.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for all the info. Will try to plow through all the tech info on You Tube & the Line 6 support link. This is a really nice piece of gear....but not easy to understand. Not giving up YET!!!

Post Thanks / Like

An honest question: If you already have a nice sounding amp, why bother with an emulator? Is it mainly for direct recording?

Post Thanks / Like

Nope. Just something to play with. Like all the different tones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverrick
    Nope. Just something to play with. Like all the different tones.
    Now that's a realistic approach that I can get behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Great.

I downloaded your custom tones to my POD on the USER 1 tab. But now when I try to find the factory presets in the BEST OF HD they seem to be gone. What did I do wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverrick View Post
    I downloaded your custom tones to my POD on the USER 1 tab. But now when I try to find the factory presets in the BEST OF HD they seem to be gone. What did I do wrong?
    Hey riverrick I have been saving to buy a HD500 & suck up every bit of info I can find on them, but I am starting to get a bit worried that they are a mongrel thing to use after reading your posts, the last thing I want is to spend my time fiddling with with one rather than playing.
    Have you owned a modeling stompbox before or is this your first crack at using one?
    I have found Line6 computer based software very easy to use & download patches with, but have seen a few people say the HD500 takes a bit of getting used to.
    Hope you get it sorted mate
    Last edited by The Grand Vizier; April 21st, 2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Add a bit more I forgot on the first go!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I had the M-5 before this one and had no problems. But the HD 500 can do a lot more. And for me is a real pain in the azz to understand. But I'm an old fart, so maybe some of you young dudes won't have as many problems as me. Don't get me wrong.....it's a great piece of gear and can do lots of stuff. You just have to have some tech savvy. The only reason I got it was because the price was right. Good luck however you decide to go.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the M-5 before this one and had no problems. But the HD 500 can do a lot more. And for me is a real pain in the azz to understand. But I'm an old fart, so maybe some of you young dudes won't have as many problems as me. Don't get me wrong.....it's a great piece of gear and can do lots of stuff. You just have to have some tech savvy. The only reason I got it was because the price was right. Good luck however you decide to go.
    Ha-Ha Thanks mate but I'm an old fart too & I love gadgets.
    $375 for a HD500 Jeez you guys get it good over there in the USA best price I have seen for a HD500 Bean in Oz is $499 & $620 for the floor unit.
    To be honest I am pretty happy with the Line6 Gearbox I have but I only have a laptop & it works it pretty hard.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure where they went. I usually select User 1 or User 2, and then open a patch, and it goes right in there. I'm sure the factory presets are still in there. Perhaps restarting the unit will fix it? See what option the HD500 desktop software gives you as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast