Thread: The re-making of Blackie, Clapton's Guitar

Post Thanks / Like

Default The re-making of Blackie, Clapton's Guitar

Found this little gem about the remaking of the Blackie Custom Shop guitars from Fender. Pretty cool. It's like guitar archaeology.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d0Du...related&search=

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice find... on the Strat Blackie... another is being made for 2007 release... the Black David Gilmour model... ahhh... ok I need to save some change now maybe...

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sitting down? The list price on a reliced Blackie copy is $24,000. I think I'd rather have 8 copies of the unreliced Blackie from the custom shop.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

The relic'ed Blackie is aimed at the rich non-players to seal in a nitrogen inerted glass case and show off to their peeps over 100 year old cognac. While I'm sure it's quite playable, that guitar was never meant for it.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker
    The relic'ed Blackie is aimed at the rich non-players to seal in a nitrogen inerted glass case and show off to their peeps over 100 year old cognac. While I'm sure it's quite playable, that guitar was never meant for it.
    Why, that is exactly what I had in mind for mine. Except it would be shown to my peeps over pints.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Why, that is exactly what I had in mind for mine. Except it would be shown to my peeps over pints.
    ...& then you'd burn it for the exquisite aroma.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt that I would burn it, but I might think about burning the $300,000 Les Paul on Ebay should I be the winning bidder. Who can afford that anyway? Gates? Branson?

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt that I would burn it, but I might think about burning the $300,000 Les Paul on Ebay should I be the winning bidder. Who can afford that anyway? Gates? Branson?
    I couldn't find Gates' new piece of kindling on EBay. Do you have a link?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Found this little gem about the remaking of the Blackie Custom Shop guitars from Fender. Pretty cool. It's like guitar archaeology.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d0Du...related&search=
    Fun to check in and watch. I little inside window into something long used by EC. I like seeing it, but think I enjoy watching Zoso's project for his daughter at least as well.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

What a waste of Luthier resources! Im a big fan of Eric and while Blackie is a historic guitar and it should be cataloged. Other than that all these high end luthiers should be making guitars not droolin over a burned out partscaster. I just think of all the guitars these guys could be making as opposed to reproducing a worn-out axe in a limited number to be gawked at, and most probably wont get played and at a price tag of $24,000.00 sorry just a big marketing cluster fu%* to me. The only redeeming factor is some of the $$$ goes to Crossroads drug treatment program. Oddly enough the only ones that can afford to go there are the same folks that can afford this overpriced partscaster.....I just find the whole beat up relic guitar business as trite shallow and a phoney bill of goods. But whatever floats peoples boats I guess? YMMV
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Damn! I would'a bid on it for the Yuletide cheer...

Les Pauls roasting on an open fire...

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mark, I'm sure the luthiers are having (had?) fun. It seems like a challenge.
    But, then again, I'm not gonna see a Fender Custom Shop gitfiddle anytime soon, so it doesn't really matter to me what they do with their time. I assume that they're getting good pay for their work.

What I really want to know is what do they do with the 49 botched attempts?

..burn'em?
    Last edited by tot_Ou_tard; December 11th, 2006 at 07:31 AM.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

nah they sell em on as standard relic strats for three grand .......i seen this on the fender web site it's all very nice but ya wouldn't take it out the house. the guy that teaches my son guitar has a studnet whose just bought one ..... but to brag about not to play it imho but he's an arse any way . my mate the guitar teacher bought the 335 crossroads guitar £10,000 nice but doesn't play any better than a normal 335 cept that it's reliced an is signed by ec himself so what big deal , would rather spend the money on a real mold guitar whatever make it is , and as for the lp that is just stupid money sorry it just is........
    i can only please one person a day ...today is not your day .........tomorrows not looking good either

fat people are hard to kidnap!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I thought it was quite funny - like a scene from Roswell - mad scientists inspecting their catch!!

Actually if you listen to the guitar being played in the clip below it certainly doesn't sound like anything special. I'm sure it's a fine guitar but as we know on this forum there's pleny of fine guitars for a fraction of the cost. I'd sooner build an extension on my house and fill it wil $500 guitars for the same money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ve-U...elated&search=
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw one of those up close and personal at Guitar Center the day they came out. Meh, I cant see paying the $20K. Dont get me wrong, it was cool and all, buuuuut,,, It sounded like just an ordinary Strat. IMHO its an investment and not a player.
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey