Thread: Guitar Vs. Bass.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guitar Vs. Bass.

Quite a while ago I decided to start saving up for a guitar in the range of $500 and although originally I'd planned to save for a hollow-body six-string in the vein of Ibanez's Artcore series it recently occurred to me that getting a Bass was also an option. I already own two guitars (A Strat and an Sg) although my GAS has been flaring up lately and I do have quite an affinity for hollow-bodies; however I've always taken an interest in basses. So I guess my question for you who play both is: what would you do in my situation?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd get a cheap bass first and see if you have fun with it. I have a cheap bass that doesn't sound amazing, but does play quite well and I will often grab it to do bass lines on my looper. Usually when I pick it up it stays out for a while because, well bass is fun! I'm actually even thinking of gutting the electronics and putting some half decent pickups and pots in her some day.

I won't write off the hollow though. I have a Maton BB1200 and it's amazing! I just bought a Hell Zerodot, which has taken my attention away from new guitars for a while (the thing is freakin amazing actually) but I can see myself with another hollow, in the vein of an Artcore or a Gretsch most likely.

Post Thanks / Like

Hollow body... definitely go for the hollow body. You've got the right idea here... between a Strat, a good hollow body, and an SG you can cover a heck of a lot of sonic territory. You can always buy an SX bass for $120.00 from Rondo later to satisfy that craving.

Post Thanks / Like

Cough....cough.

Guess what I'd suggest....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    Cough....cough.

Guess what I'd suggest....
    Turn to the left?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon View Post
    Turn to the left?
    Good thing I wasn't drinking when I read this... cuz I'd be buying a new computer otherwise!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    Good thing I wasn't drinking when I read this... cuz I'd be buying a new computer otherwise!
    Sorry. I shouldn't be so silly. Glad I don't owe you a new computer.

Post Thanks / Like

*chuckle* It was well played, sir!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'd get the bass, just because I've been a bassist in bands before (though not currently) and still get called on to play bass from time to time.

Keep in mind though, you really can't safely play bass through a guitar amp at volume. Unless you keep it really low you'll blow speakers. I have both types of amps so that wouldn't be a consideration for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    *chuckle* It was well played, sir!
    Yes, yes it was!

Post Thanks / Like

BASS DAY IS A GREAT DAY we need more low end providers in this world.

Post Thanks / Like

I played bass for a long time and considered myself a pretty decent bassist. It was only a few years ago I wanted to learn lead guitar. Since then I have discovered that the better I get at playing the guitar the better I get at playing bass without even practicing with the bass at all. I'd say go with the bass, it will improve your timing tremendously. But if you really want the hollow body then the very best one I've picked up lately is the Dean Palomino... It feels and sounds fantastic... and the price isn't bad either. Love the triple pickups.