Thread: Down here at the Pawn Shop

Post Thanks / Like

Default Down here at the Pawn Shop

I wasn't sure where to put this and I wanted to share.

I took a trip with the wife to L Oppelmans here in Lynchburg (supposedly one of the oldest pawn shops in the country).

The goal was to get my hands on some strats. I have really been enjoying playing funk and reggae and whatever mix of the two you can dream up, and my Les Paul isn't really giving me the tone I want. What I noticed is that the tone is naturally different with a single coil guitar, but that C neck really helps me play bar chords a little bit more comfortably. It might be a personal thing but it's just how it felt to me.

So in order of how I picked them up and with no specific model info other than what was immediately noticeable (and what I'm able to remember)

Squire Strat - $200 - felt different because it was the first strat I picked up, but the neck was warped and I couldn't play below the 8th fret

Squire Strat - $99 - felt cheap

Squire Strat - $300 - much better, highly playable, I liked it a lot

SX Strat - $89 - I liked it better than the $300 strat. Felt like a more quality instrument

Fender Classic MiM Sea Green that my wife oddly liked - $400 - Probably on the level with the SX. Very comfortable. Played really well. I wanted to really nail it but didn't want to be "that guy" in the shop.

So for the strat battle I think I might start with a new SX from Rondo. For $100 and can put the thing through the paces and even treat it as a project guitar that I won't be afraid to mess with.

However, the perk of the visit is one of the most attractive guitars to me, an old school Ibanez Iceman - $600 - I find the shape just awesome. Like elegant but angry. I don't know, just a cool shape. I've never had my hands on one before so I had to try it. All I can say is it was like playing butter. It was silky smooth and vicious. The neck was a little weird to me, not uncomfortable, but not easy to play bars on. I could powerchord it pretty easily though.

So just thought I'd share.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a cool trip! I used to love going to pawn shops, and checking out the gear. These days, in this area, the selection is bad and the prices are at MAP for a new model.

Definitely check out the SX. I bought a SX bass for my stepdaughter last Christmas, and it plays really well... surprisingly so. The neck has a beautiful flame, and is comfortable as can be. The tuners suck, and the pickup sounds great. For the money, you just can't lose. I would check out the models on Rondo, though... Some of the bodies on a few of the models are thinner than the normal 1.75". I don't think it would change the tone, and it's up to personal preference, but I prefer the weight and body thickness on my Strat, and would buy an SX with a similar body only.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it was cool and the guys that run the music side of the shop are cool so it's really comfortable for me to just sit around and play. There's even a couch there. Anyway, I was amazed at how good the pickups sounded. I was playing through the amp I will buy this summer (Blackstar HT-5 Combo) and I am just really satisfied with the tone. The only thing was I really didn't go crazy with volume...

The SX I played looked and felt identical to the one fender strat I played and the more expensive squire. The $100 one really seemed like a POS.