Quote Originally Posted by davewrites View Post
A $29 price tag may not be indicative of GLS quality, but it may provide insight into Shure's profit margins.

If Apple can manufacture an iPhone for well under $100, what makes you think a world-class mic can't be produced for $10 a pop?
Fair point. I don't have any interest in defending a Shure SM57, but conceptually don't you think that the average price tag for a SM57-type mic would be a good indicator of profit margins? For instance, if there were tons of viable options out there for $30 and then the 57 was $100, that would seem to be a profit-margin thing. However, if most microphones in that range ran about $100, it would seem likely that GLS is either getting labor on the cheap, is compromising a bit more on the parts, or is smarter than everybody else. Otherwise, it's price fixing/cartel/collusion, which is generally frowned upon/illegal.

This comes off as me bashing the GLS mic, which I am not trying to do. But with it being the internet, I fully expect people to try to misinterpret my comments. Oh, internet...