Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Jazzmaster, Jaguar, Mustang owners - where are you?

Thread: Jazzmaster, Jaguar, Mustang owners - where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jazzmaster, Jaguar, Mustang owners - where are you?

Am I the only one who loves Jazzmasters and Mustangs?
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never played one, but would love to if I could only find one in a music store.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean Robert... I bought moth my Jazzmasters unseen. Lucky for me, they both turned out to be sweethearts!

For surf and clean playing, there isn't a guitar I like more than the Jazzmaster. Suprisingly, you can do rock & blues on them. Even Johnny Cash used one in many of his earlier albums.

Find a used Japanese model, upgrade the pickups to US models, and away you go!
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tremoloman,

I've got some interest on Mustangs, because of the short neck, and because Johnny Winter played one for a while...I really would like to try one. I read somewhere that John Mclaughlin played one too, on the albums with Miles Davis, is that true?

Never played a Jazzmaster or a Jaguar... I never really cared about them too much..How do the Jazzmaster sounds? Can you tell the difference from a strat in a "blind test"?

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard a Jazzmaster? My God!

Here's some sound clips:
    http://fender.com/products/sounds/guitars/0100800.mp3
    http://fender.com/products/sounds/guitars/0100900.mp3

If you've ever listened to anything from The Cure, you've no doubt heard a Jazzmaster. Also, anything surf related are often played on JMs and Jags. Songs from the Ventures, The Cure, Sonic Youth, and a host of others feature these guitars.

Give one a try!

I use mine with the Hendrix pedal on a number of songs...
    Last edited by tremoloman; December 24th, 2005 at 12:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure I heard them, but I don't know if I could tell the difference from a strat... I dig Television a lot...one of my favorite bands ever..Tom Verlaine always used one (though he's using strats now). The guitarrist and vocalist of a brazilian band called "Los Hermanos", uses an original 62 jazzmaster 100% of the time, but I still can't hear much difference from a strat.

Post Thanks / Like

and thanks for the sound files, but I can't hear them now..I forgot my headphones at home heehhe

Post Thanks / Like

I have never played the Jazzmaster myself, but the Jaguar is one sweet guitar!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

They have a different sound that a Strat... trust me! I own 4 Strats, yet this guitar has the best acoustics of all of them combined. I also love the rhythm/lead circuit. The offset body is so comfortable to play either sitting down or standing up.

I'm going to build a custom Jazzmaster/Stratocaster hybrid in 2006. Strats are great, but the JM body is so damn comfortable to me.

If you ever try playing either a Jag or JM, you will hear a difference the second you strum a chord. The best way to describe a Jazzmaster's tone is this: you can get really deep bass while having glass-like tones on the high strings. They rock!
    Last edited by tremoloman; December 24th, 2005 at 12:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Trem, so the jazzmaster is "better" than the jaguar in your opinion? I have as I said only played the jag, and that guitar sounds really great. So what is the tonal "differences" between the jag and the jazzmaster?
    I think that the Jag looks nicer however
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tremolo, how does the lead/rhythm control works?

Post Thanks / Like

Well.. the Jazzmaster is 25.5" in scale while the Jaguar is 24". I'm not a fan of short scale guitars since they seem to always go out of tune on me.

As for the lead/rhythm circuit, what the system does is give you two volume & tone controls. In "Lead" position, the pickups switch works as usual in conjunction with the large volume & tone knob. In "Rhythm" mode (which you choose by sliding the black switch on the top), it turns on both pickups and gives a much bassier sound, removing a lot of the treble. The rhythm mode has seperate volume and tone knobs. (they are the controls on the top of the guitar).

Playing live is so much easier having 2 sets of volume & tones for switching between solos and rhythm strumming. It's the only electric I've played that does a decernt job of sounding good when played like an acoustic guitar.

Last edited by tremoloman; January 7th, 2006 at 11:31 AM.