Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maybe it's just pop music, but I am excited for this album.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Maybe it's just pop music, but I am excited for this album.

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with Pop music and there is nothing wrong with John Mayer. Not sure if I liked the last album but this sounds quite good.

Post Thanks / Like

Is JM pop now? I guess he's always had that side of him, huh?

Anyway, like what you like. Far better than to be one those people who say no good music is coming out these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, who's to say? I guess folks felt the last album was more pop oriented than the "Trio" stuff, and this album looks to me more in that vein with some countryish flavor, rather than back toward the blues oriented stuff. I don't really care that much what it is called. I just enjoy John's writing and work, and guitar playing.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

You are right, who cares how music is labeled. If you like it, great! We should never a need to apologize for liking any kind of artist or music.

I guess I am reacting on your "just pop music" title... we could (pointlessly) say the same for any style - it's "just"blues, or it's "just" metal, etc... right?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    your "just pop music" title... we could (pointlessly) say the same for any style - it's "just"blues, or it's "just" metal, etc... right?
    Interesting. I don't think I'd ever use the "just" descriptor in front of "metal," but I'm not sure why not.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

The Beatles were just a pop band. FWIW.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah labeling music sucks. One thing that has sometimes annoyed me is why do music reviewers sometimes complain that a band is crisscrossing between genres and the next day complaining that all the songs are too much alike.

I myself like bands that have lots of variation in their songs, like Faith No More.

But I soon realized that music labels, like opinions, are like a-holes, everyone has one, and especially reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt.
    Still, it can sometimes be very annoying that you've maybe done some side studio project singing some EP for some band, really with a 'left hand' and just quite mechanically almost sang the songs you haven't practiced, and then for that release get reviews saying the singer really conveys feeling and grooves with the band - and then you release another one you've really worked hard on vocals and basically sang some songs in tears putting all the feeling you have behind it, and that time the reviewer complains that the vocals are done a bit coldly and without feeling, LOL :-)

If I review a band, I'll never make guesses like 'feels like the guitarist hasn't practiced enough' or 'they play with no feeling', how the hell do they think they know what the band did to make the release. Sometimes the feeling may just not convey to a particular listener at a particular time etc.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    You are right, who cares how music is labeled. If you like it, great! We should never a need to apologize for liking any kind of artist or music.

I guess I am reacting on your "just pop music" title... we could (pointlessly) say the same for any style - it's "just"blues, or it's "just" metal, etc... right?
    Yep, right. i guess I was just reacting to people, particularly musicians, criticizing mayer because he moved away from the Trio stuff. I really just meant to say I was excited for this new album and John's latest experiment with making music.

Dee, you make important and good points too.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm a big JM fan and a few years back he really re ignited my love for the guitar after I had virtually given up playing for a while. For me Continuum was the best record of the last 10 years. My problem with the last record was that there just wasn't enough guitar on there and from the clips I've heard so far the new record may be similar (albeit with a more folkie vibe). I'll give it some time though, it may be a grower.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lev, you and I have talked about Mayer for a while. I agree that you had to look harder for the nice guitar in the last album, though there was definitely some there. Continuum, and Try! and other live recordings of that collection of material, has been my favorite too. But I am hopeful that I will find some other things to like in this effort, such as John's take on what sounds like something Neil Young might play on one of his acoustic albums.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

John Mayer - Born And Raised

Just had the first listen. I didn't know what to expect, which is a good way to let something unfold. A few songs have a slight country sound. Most are acoustic guitar with just a few backing instruments. It flows well and has a nice, well produced sound to it. It verges on easy listening at times.

What he does here, he does quite well. It depends on if you like what is going on, though. I'll give it a few more spins, but I'm not connecting to it much. I like John's blues trio quite a bit, and some of his other work. He certainly is trying a new direction. I'm not sure if it will do well, but you never know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There's no good music coming out these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64 View Post
    I hope that was a joke!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe if you are stuck in main stream America, but world wide there is some incredibly good music being released.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    I hope that was a joke!
    I feel you, but this exchange did get me thinking: what if that statement ("There's no good music coming out these days.") really meant what many people are trying to say when they talk about how current music sucks: that the style and sound of music they like isn't very common these days?

It brings up an interesting point, right? I meant, tons of people have been influenced by the likes of Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, and the Beatles, to name a few. But who is putting out music these days that sounds like them? Even if it's just revivalists, that's worth something to someone. I'm not saying those people/bands don't exist today: I'm just asking who they are and where they can be found. Extend that question to whatever style you want, because I'm genuinely curious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was just kidding. I like to go see local live music. One of my friends does alt-country, Ohio Joe, and I like his stuff. http://www.reverbnation.com/ohiojoe

One of my other friends does delta blues and I like his stuff too. http://www.reverbnation.com/ianpenter

I found a band by accident on reverb nation called Glitter Freeze. They have a 80's vibe I like. http://www.reverbnation.com/glitterfreeze

I'm sure there's stuff I would like in every local watering hole that has live music. As for finding it, well, I don't go searching for indie music. I just listen to bands I like which tend to be classic rock (The Band, Rolling Stones, Neil Young) or 80s stuff. It's good, and I like it. Any new music I listen tends to be local and live. I don't actively try to find new music to listen to on the radio or at stores. I'm sure I'd find something.

I can without reservation say, however, that I don't like much rock post 1990, and I can't think of any rock acts from 2000 and later that I like. By this I mean any thing that gets played on classic rock stations (like nickelback, pearl jam, RHCP, 3 doors down, nirvana). It just doesn't do anything for me.

When I had sirius I liked to listen to Deep Tracks, Little Steven's Garage, Hair Nation and BB Kings bluesville. Can't really find anything like that on regular radio so I just play stuff from my phone. Through a cassette adapter, because my car predates CD Players.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

By this I mean any thing that gets played on classic rock stations (like nickelback, ). It just doesn't do anything for me.

When I had sirius I liked to listen to Deep Tracks, Little Steven's Garage, Hair Nation and BB Kings bluesville. Can't really find anything like that on regular radio so I just play stuff from my phone. Through a cassette adapter, because my car predates CD Players.
    That first statement, limited as edited, I understand. I liked the other acts you mentioned, and do like some of the newer "rock" acts, such as newer PJ, Foo Fighters, etc. I also really like Little Steven's underground garages. What a great show! Fortunately, they play it around here on the regular radio. I notice a lot of newer stuff coming out with an 80's vibe. The Decemberists sound very much like mid 80's REM, particularly the Reckoning, Life's Rich Pageant period, and I hear some other "alternative" stuff that reminds me of Psych Furs, Tears for Fears, and etc.

I also am into more indie sounding stuff too. I like Wilco quite a bit, though they are almost not indie anymore, though i don't know what else you would call them. i can get into some of Spud's euro prog stuff, but that is more of a meal than I have attention for sometimes, unless I have a long car drive.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    I like Wilco quite a bit, though they are almost not indie anymore, though i don't know what else you would call them.
    I heard them described as "dad rock" a couple of months ago. I love me some Wilco, but I must say that's a pretty apropos label for them over their last few albums.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast