Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

My wish list of guitars becoming ever more expensive

Thread: My wish list of guitars becoming ever more expensive

Post Thanks / Like

Default My wish list of guitars becoming ever more expensive

I must be getting pickier as I get older, but I've gotten to the point where I am getting more choosy about adding any more guitars to my collection. After having a few good guitars that I use all the time (because of their tone and quality) I don't like to get anything that is not as good as the others that I already have.

However, I have a wish list of guitars that I've always wanted to own, but never could justify the purchase (e.g. a vintage reissue Tele, Gibson Les Paul or 335, etc,) I was at Guitar Center this past Saturday and I noticed that one of my wish-list guitars has gone up in price by nearly $500 in the past year. (Gibson ES-339) I'm starting to think that every keeper guitar is going to cost me several thousand dollars each in a few years. I better start saving up :-)

--Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man, I can totally relate. My tastes have gone up almost $2,000.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with it, if you have the means, or the means to save to get there. I've currently got a supreme case of Marshall JTM 45 GAS, and they run over $1700 new. If I ever get to the point again where I have some room to save up, I'll probably look into having someone build me a Weber or buy a prebuilt Ceriatone for half the price.

I've got some serious lust for a Gibby Les Paul Custom in black, with gold hardware, but those are running well over $3000 now. An Epiphone would be a good alternative, but the Gibby gives me the GAS. Prices at Gibson are definitely going to go up, given all the troubles that Gibby has had recently with their wood suppliers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My taste in another guitar went up with your demo of that cool Gretchified tele (TwangKing?) you had the prototype of. That one, or something like it, is on my list.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    My taste in another guitar went up with your demo of that cool Gretchified tele (TwangKing?) you had the prototype of. That one, or something like it, is on my list.
    Same here. The Logan Custom Guitar is as close to the TwangKing as I can afford. The likely winner will be a Reverend Sensei with Revtrons. I can't say enough about the quality, feel, and sound of Reverends. It will run $750, which is still a good deal for such quality.

Not exactly expensive, but I have many, many responsibilities to share the money pool with.

Post Thanks / Like

It's kind of funny how it works out. I have two semi-hollows and a classical; the only element I really want is a solid-body. And having played lots of them over recent months, the one that stood out and that I'd really like is actually a cheapie - an Epi 66 Wilshire reissue. Played around with one (having noticed them before and been curious) when I went to pick up my new Wildkat and I really enjoyed it. I'm not a fender man (just don't like any of them, as much as I tried!) and I find LPs just too heavy. The Wilshire on the other hand I loved. The 12" fretboard suits me, the body felt comfortable, the matte finish to the neck was sweet, the mini-humbuckers sounded great and I even like the look of the thing. It's kind of good and bad that it might actually be obtainable...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I play this guitar all the time now. It is my main guitar for the band that I currently play with. From playing this guitar I realize the quality difference between it and some of the other less-expensive guitars that I've owned over the years. This is what is making me more picky about what I buy next. I'm also realizing that there are some classic tones that I still don't have that I need to cover eventually, kind of like being a carpenter and not having tools for every job you need to do. It's just that it's getting ever more expensive to get guitars that you want to keep forever. Any of the Gibsons that are worth buying are becoming $2K and upwards (and more if you want something special). Fenders are still a good value, but any of the custom shop stuff is going to be in the $3K range.

--Jim

Post Thanks / Like

If the $$$ play out right, I might be swayed to get another custom lap-steel......sort of a lap-steel version of a Coodercaster. And it would be apropos since Ry Cooder swiped the bridge pup for his Coodercaster from a Supro/Valco lap steel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post

I've currently got a supreme case of Marshall JTM 45 GAS, and they run over $1700 new. If I ever get to the point again where I have some room to save up, I'll probably look into having someone build me a Weber or buy a prebuilt Ceriatone for half the price.

Buy NBA Jersey-Buy NBA Jersey-Cheap Boston Bruins Jersey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    I've got some serious lust for a Gibby Les Paul Custom in black, with gold hardware, but those are running well over $3000 now.
    forget about Gibson. Go to the source, Kalamazoo, where they still build them one at a time, use rosewood fretboards, handroll the neck to your specifications. And they cost less.

oops, maybe you're a righty....

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo View Post
    forget about Gibson. Go to the source, Kalamazoo, where they still build them one at a time, use rosewood fretboards, handroll the neck to your specifications. And they cost less.
    Now we're talking! Their semi-hollows are also incredible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Now we're talking! Their semi-hollows are also incredible.
    I agree. To the point of this thread....I sold a guitar, some pedals amps, other used odds and ends to buy one. Haven't regretted it for a moment. More than I ever thought I'd spend on a guitar (although not a ton o' cash at all). Worth every penny

drool inducing thread....see more here

this is my Tea Party rig (if I was ever invited to play a gig for a tea party affiliate, odds: slim to none. Make whatever assumptions you wish )

Guitar: handbuilt in Kalamazoo
    Strap: handsewn in Chicago
    Amph: handbuilt in San Juan Capistrano.
    I've got a couple DVM pedals if I need 'em

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo View Post

oops, maybe you're a righty....

*gulp*

That would be it... Tio, you are a bad man. I've always been a sucker for that black/gold/multilayer binding look.