Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

NGD!! Wildkat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NGD!! Wildkat

Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD!! Wildkat

After months of searching and trying guitars and amps, not only did I get the Valve Senior amp, but I bought an Epi Wildkat! Loved it the first time I tried it, but it was too expensive (around $850 in Aus). I was after a semi-hollow, and preferably with p90s so it was exactly what I wanted. Anyway, when Gallins in Sydney had a big sale, I bought the amp and the Wildkat. Of course, if there aren't photos it didn't happen:

The guitar was sent up from Melbourne so it took a while to actually get my hands on it. It is very well made, but at the same time the standard of finishing was pretty ordinary. There were parts of the neck binding that were rough to the point of actually being abrasive which was realy nasty rubbing against your left hand up around the 12th fret. And the double-sided tape securing the clip which holds the internal wiring in place had come loose so the wiring was all visible through one of the f-holes. Got the guy there (Dan) to sort out those couple of issues, and the setup he had done was spot-on. She's beautiful to play and the Bigsby is fun (haven't used a tremolo at all for about 20 years!). This is my first guitar acquisition in around 18 years so it took a while to make a decision. I have a very indulgent and kind wife so I now have a Wildkat!!

2. Likes shupe13 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations!

The wildkat was high on my list, but I ended up going for the Hagstrom viking instead. I still like the little kat a lot though.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the Vikings are a sweet guitar. I couldn't actually find one here to play, but even if I did they're very pricey here, plus I really wanted a single-cut. I also like with the Hagstroms in general that they're not very common, they're a bit more out-of-the-ordinary which is always good.

Post Thanks / Like

The Kat series are great guitars. I have the Flamekat, and I believe Brian Krashpad has a Wildkat. Is yours made in Korea?
    Happy New Guitar Day!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

HNGD! That's a nice guitar with a great maple top.
    If I didn't already have a semi-hollow with P90's I'd look for one myself. I love P90's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    The Kat series are great guitars. I have the Flamekat, and I believe Brian Krashpad has a Wildkat. Is yours made in Korea?
    Happy New Guitar Day!
    Nope, China, at the Epi factory in Qingdao. I suspect the Korean ones would have been finished better (based on my Korean-made Dot) but the underlying build quality is to a good standard.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks beautiful - I'd love to try one of those someday and hear what it sounds like. Sure is nice to look at! How deep is the body?

Post Thanks / Like

Sure is nice to look at, a real looker! The body seems to me (without putting them side-to-side) to be just a touch deeper than my Dot. The relatively small body also means there's no feedback. So pleased with this guitar in every way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sada Yairi View Post
    Sure is nice to look at, a real looker! The body seems to me (without putting them side-to-side) to be just a touch deeper than my Dot. The relatively small body also means there's no feedback. So pleased with this guitar in every way.
    Plus (iirc) it doesn't have a traditional semi hollow construction but is more like a very hollowed out solid with a pressed top. That'd make it more feedback proof due to the thicker ribs and back.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the internal construction:

It doesn't have a sound block the way a Dot does - I don't know how it would compare in terms of the percentage that is actually hollow (not taking into account the fact that it's a significantly smaller body).

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - that's interesting - I had no idea they were made this way - or any guitar for that matter: that's a lot of carving out to do!

Post Thanks / Like

Thinline teles and chambered Les Pauls are made pretty much the same way with varying amounts of wood removed.

On my Vintage Mahogany LP Studio (chambered) you can follow the side grain through the carved top which leads me to think that the top and back were cut from one mahogany blank sliced through, the back thicknessed and routed for chambers, the top thicknessed and carved and finally stuck back together. It's one piece too .

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding mate! Congrats and good onya. She's a beaut. If I lived in Oz I'd be brokedy broke broke with those prices.

I loves me my WildKat!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sada Yairi View Post
    This is the internal construction:

It doesn't have a sound block the way a Dot does - I don't know how it would compare in terms of the percentage that is actually hollow (not taking into account the fact that it's a significantly smaller body).
    That's some clean routing right there. Despite some QC foulups, Qingdao is putting out some great guitars.

Post Thanks / Like

deleted
    Last edited by Brian Krashpad; January 13th, 2018 at 07:58 PM. Reason: photo link broke

Post Thanks / Like

Old as dirt post, but here’s mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Goldtop Lester
    VOX AC30CC2
    BOSS Katana 💯
    A few other guitars and pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Have never seen a Kat in that color - very classy looking! I just finally changed the pickups in mine, after haveing remade the wiring harness with low-capacitance cable in an attempt to get rid of the muddiness. It helped, but i thought maybe the high output stock pups (12.6k) were also contributing, so I replaced them with a set of Artec p-90s at 7k. It has the came characteristic sound, but cleaner and clearer now.

I love the way the Kat plays - it's my go-to electric to just pick up and noodle on, and I love having a guitar with a Bigsby. And, yes, they are beautiful to look at with the flame maple and chrome.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

19. Likes shupe13 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD!! Wildkat

Thank you. It’s the only Kat I’ve seen like it. It was a gift from my wife. She named her Grace. When I got her I spent a good amount of time balancing the volume of each string by adjusting each pole piece. It was well worth the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Goldtop Lester
    VOX AC30CC2
    BOSS Katana 💯
    A few other guitars and pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

My prior post's photo link broke, so I deleted it.

For a short while I had TWO WildKats, both identical, in the same "Limited Edition" white-blonde color and cream binding (not the later pure white Royale with gold binding). Found both years apart, used, locally. I only bought the second to flip, because I knew I could re-sell and make a decent profit. I kept the one I'd already had (the one on our left, with the strap). I love mine.

22. Likes shupe13, stingx liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast